Naturals--what is your texture PATTERN?

melodee

For those of you who are natural or going natural, I know most of you have different textures or curl patterns that all reside on the same head.:D

Are you one of those who has looser curls/coils in front or in back?

Are your edges smoother than your nape or vice versa?

OR all you pretty much the same all over?

I am finding that I have a looser pattern in the very back-toward the nape (fatter coils I guess) and in the very front on top. There is a band that stretches from the edges around my head ( below the crown or very top of my skull) that is the most coily/kinky.

Then I have some kinky interspersed with looser strands throughout that area.

Can you share your pattern?

I am relaxed but was natural for about 4years once and 3 years the second time. I noticed that I have a zigzag pattern (no defined curls)

Loose pattern in the front and crown
and
TIIIGHT pattern in the cul de sac area of my head.

I have extremely curly/coily hair. S-patterns for days. My curls are loose in the front, even looser at the nape. Above the nape and into the crown, it's tiny little coils.

I'm all over the place. It's just mixed up. You could split my head into six parts and there's a different texture pattern in each of them. The only thing tying it together is that it's all kinky.

Front center: Loosest S shaped waves. If those areas are to curl, they need finger curling.

Front left/right: Tight textured hair, a few coils, and a few corkscrews near the ears. Most shrinkage.

Crown: Tight corkscrews and coils

Nape: Looser small straw sized corkscrews and smaller coils

Straighter hair (no curl pattern) interspersed throughout

melodee said:
For those of you who are natural or going natural, I know most of you have different textures or curl patterns that all reside on the same head.:D

Are you one of those who has looser curls/coils in front or in back?

Are your edges smoother than your nape or vice versa?

OR all you pretty much the same all over?

I am finding that I have a looser pattern in the very back-toward the nape (fatter coils I guess) and in the very front on top. There is a band that stretches from the edges around my head ( below the crown or very top of my skull) that is the most coily/kinky.

Then I have some kinky interspersed with looser strands throughout that area.

Can you share your pattern?

Hey Melodee :wave: I have a looser pattern in the nape and in the very front of my head. All of it pretty much looks like pen springs but the curls in those areas are a little bigger and shrink less.

bmore your doggy is so cute.

Melodee, I am relaxe dbut was natural for four years. the sides of my hair are in a zigzag pattern, those are the coarsest parts. the middle has a looser pattern which isn't as coarse. im a 4b gal.

Defined corkscrew spirals (pen sized) in the crown area, much looser spirals in the nape and sides, and waves in the front..so a little bit of everything but mainly 4a corkscrews

Fran said:
I am relaxed but was natural for about 4years once and 3 years the second time. I noticed that I have a zigzag pattern (no defined curls)

Loose pattern in the front and crown
and
TIIIGHT pattern in the cul de sac area of my head.

What??? I should of picked your brain. I didn't know you were natural before.

locabouthair said:
bmore your doggy is so cute.

Melodee, I am relaxe dbut was natural for four years. the sides of my hair are in a zigzag pattern, those are the coarsest parts. the middle has a looser pattern which isn't as coarse. im a 4b gal.

Aww thanks! He's looking at me like I'm crazy right now. :lol:

I know that I have tighter curls in the crown of my hair and looser, wavier hair in the front, sides and back of my hair. I don't know, maybe someone can give me an idea of what kind of "curl" I do have...I'm not sure sometimes.

keluric said:
I have extremely curly/coily hair. S-patterns for days. My curls are loose in the front, even looser at the nape. Above the nape and into the crown, it's tiny little coils.

How did you get my hair ?:lol:

75% is tight coils/curls all around (soild 4a)
20% are loose curls/coils at the crown and front of my head (still 4a not really 3b, in between)
5% are very kinky z-shaped strands at the back of my head and nape (no noticable curl pattern).
So based on the above I classify my hair as 4b. Hope this helps! :kiss:

Last edited:
Cheleigh said:
I'm all over the place. It's just mixed up. You could split my head into six parts and there's a different texture pattern in each of them. The only thing tying it together is that it's all kinky.

Front center: Loosest S shaped waves. If those areas are to curl, they need finger curling.

Front left/right: Tight textured hair, a few coils, and a few corkscrews near the ears. Most shrinkage.

Crown: Tight corkscrews and coils

Nape: Looser small straw sized corkscrews and smaller coils

Straighter hair (no curl pattern) interspersed throughout
i've got about 6 inches of natural so far.

mine's close to your texture. when i look at your hair it looks lots like mine but a bit on a wider pattern. i know right now my hair will not form an afro anyone would be proud of, it will just flop and sorta lay there and look stupid.

in the very front of hair line i have a mix of cottony and corkscrews and smallish u shaped waves.

i chopped my kitchen area months ago because it seem so dry, tangly and unmanageable (scab hair maybe?). kitchen has always been a problem area even when relaxed ;) it's more cottony than wiry but has a mix of corkscrews and waves mixed in.

my entire crown area is thick U shaped waves of various sizes. that hair is the weirdest, it never completely relaxed and is quick to revert to wavy after flatironing. the strands are really thick and on the wiry/crinkly side.

it's gonna be real interesting when the relaxer is 100% gone - just to see what my hair actually does.

in the meantime........grabbing a notepad, jotting down more potential twins and cousins.

melodee said:

hey melodee......i think we may be closely related also.

i'm going to bookmark your album too :D

i'm determined to find a hair relative even if it takes me an entire year LOL

At the crown my hair has about a 2x2 inch patch of really super tight curls. The nape area is wvy but curls at the ends as it gets longer and the rest it mostly ringlets.

At the crown my hair has about a 2x2 inch patch of really super tight curls. The nape area is wvy but curls at the ends as it gets longer and the rest it mostly ringlets.

I have 3b/c on most of my hair, the hair in the very back - the neck - is very loose though, maybe 2c. I just need to smooth it with my hands to get it straight and very shiny.
Hair around my temples is very curly and coily and shrinks to cute little springs.

Country gal said:
What??? I should of picked your brain. I didn't know you were natural before.

Yeah!!:grin: ... I wish I had found this site before I decided to relax but learning my different textures was THE BEST THING I learned while natural and it still helps me even today as a relaxed head.

I am mostly S and O's 4a, I think.
Very tight corkscrews and coils dispersed in the crown and upper back.
Wavy in the front crown.
A looser and silky, but still tight curl pattern in the nape and sides.

I have coils and more coils. My crown has very tight coils with a Z pattern, whereas the rest of my hair has more of an S pattern.

My hair has a "coil" pattern. No S or Z, just a coil. Like a little tiny bedspring. What does a C curl look like? I swear all these types and stuff confuse me sometimes.

I'm a little confused by the terminology but my best guess is 3c, 4a, 4b nappy mixture.

I've opened a foki account, but since I'm one of the last people on earth to purchase a digital camera (waiting for it to arrive) I haven't posted my link yet.

Back