Naturals... what do u do immediately after washing???

Pooh, shake that hate off, girl. If you leave, the hater will win. None of us, at least the positive ones, want you to go. I know it makes you mad but just try to ignore it. Smile, girl!!! :D This is a very good thread. It really has given me a lot of new info I may use. Thanks for starting it!

After I'm done conditioning, usually my hair is in 6 damp sections, and from there I apply my shea butter and start making twists. I wear the twists for a week and wear a twistout, then wash again. I could probably stretch the style even longer.. I probably will start in the summer.

Pooh-Don't worry about the 1 star- Who cares- I bet u they are lame anyway! Brush it off!

Poohbear I don't know you, but I would hate to see you leave because of someones rudeness, keep your beautiful hair and head up.

There are some interesting things in this thread!!!!
I have a question though......

What does putting your hair in several braids do to it?

I put a little Herbal Essences conditioner in my hair. I then mix about a 50/50 ratio of gel to activator and run my fingers through my hair.

I guess its kinda like plopping. I then put about a teaspoon of this mix and run my fingers through small sections. I wear it loose. Not brave enough to try a twist out.

I comb my hair twice a week.

toosexy1 said:
any one do plopping? ive been trying and i kept getting frizzy hair after taking off the micorfiber towel. the real thing that they suggest is a t-shirt. so i tried a t-shirt today and voila!!! my curls are clumped together and i like the results

I have to try that (when the cold weather disappears). Thanks for reminding me of that technique. I hate it when I do my shake and go and one day it's perfect and the next day frizzed with no style or shape.

I think this is a great thread. :)

I apply a leave in and a gel. LAST winter I spent time blow drying it. In the summer I just let it air dry loose. This winter I started doing four big twists as someone here recommended and cover it in a scarf. I need to order a microfiber towel soon though!

ETA: My hair is close to armpit stretched...we'll see what happens after a trim.

Last edited:
OnceUponAtime said:
I have to try that (when the cold weather disappears). Thanks for reminding me of that technique. I hate it when I do my shake and go and one day it's perfect and the next day frizzed with no style or shape.

I don't even plan to have 2nd day hair. Once I lay down on it, no matter what I do beforehand, it's a wrap.

I CW daily and put in coconut oil a couple of leave-ins and then a gel on top.. I'm a PJ so I try a different combo of stuff almost everyday to use up what I have.. I put in everything while my head is upside down.. shake upside down..stand up.. run my fingers through it and that's it.. I leave the house with my hair wet everyday..

This is slightly OT but I tried my microfiber hair turban after I got it in the mail today and I LOVE IT!!! My wet twists were not frizzy and my hair was 100% dry in like 20 min. Cant beat it with a stick! Wish I had one long time ago.

My current and most simple routine.
After washing (with hair nearly soaking wet), I apply my MTG, scalp to ends. Follow with conditioner - Bath & Body Works Lavender Vanilla to kill the smell (PERFECTION). Spritz Mane & Tail Detangler and pull into one or two braids and airdry.

This differs on "treatment" days or what issue I might be having at the time.

When I stretch my hair, it's shoulder length in the front, otherwise APL and getting close to BSL in the back.

so1913 said:
I don't even plan to have 2nd day hair. Once I lay down on it, no matter what I do beforehand, it's a wrap.

You remind me, I just posted about benefits of daily wash. This is sure one reason to do so. Just to be able to have a fresh style everyday.

hopeg80 said:
Poohbear I don't know you, but I would hate to see you leave because of someones rudeness, keep your beautiful hair and head up.

There are some interesting things in this thread!!!!
I have a question though......

What does putting your hair in several braids do to it?
Thank you hopeg80!

To answer your question, putting several braids in your hair after washing helps lock in moisture. Letting it airdry loose can sometimes be drying. Braids also stretches out your hair. When you take the braids down, you can sport a nice braidout style.

@ OnceUponATime,

I love the little girl model in your signature! She's so cute and her hair is lovely!!! :yep: I also like the instructions you gave for a curly coily fro... I may have to try that one day. ;)

Poohbear said:
Thank you hopeg80!

To answer your question, putting several braids in your hair after washing helps lock in moisture. Letting it airdry loose can sometimes be drying. Braids also stretches out your hair. When you take the braids down, you can sport a nice braidout style.

You are welcome sis, we naturals have to be here to support each other, it's hard sometimes.

Thanks for the explanation, I may have to try this.

Poohbear said:
@ OnceUponATime,

I love the little girl model in your signature! She's so cute and her hair is lovely!!! :yep: I also like the instructions you gave for a curly coily fro... I may have to try that one day. ;)

I know! I get all warm inside everytime I see that photo. What a cutie!

After I CW I apply my Homemade Hair Butter or I will apply Virgin Coconut Creame smooth it back and put on my phony or just let it be because I am in the Twa Stage!

This is a wonderful thread I give it 5 stars!!!!

Great thread! Immediately after washing I add some leave in conditioner and my own homemade flaxseed conconction. I detangle my hair with a comb and clip it up into 4-6 sections. From there I wait to allow it to air dry for a while and then I twists. In the warmer months I only add leave in and some Miss Jessie's product and out the door I go.

After washing/conditioning/deep conditioning- i apply my leave-in and/or homemade spritz and let it dry loose and unmanipulated.

I'm still in twist extensions right now. However, when my hair is loose I either deep condition or apply a leave in right afterwards. Then, depending on how I plan to wear my hair, I either twists (2 strand or flat), braid (plaits or cornrows) or apply a holding agent and let it dry.

p1

Poohbear, thank you for posting this its a very good question. I need to know because soon I will all natual and now I have some ideals thanks great post

After washing and conditioning (in six sections), I twist my hair. I detangle each small section that I am about to twist. Since my hair tangles so easily, it makes my life much easier that way.
My hair is mid-back when stretched.

I condition wash, apply shea and flaxseed gel mixture let it air dry or two-strand twist it. I like to do the twist while my hair is wet because it holds better.

Poohbear said:
For all my natural ladies here... What do you do with your hair immediately after washing, rinsing, or wetting your hair with water???

Do you braid it up? Twist it up? comb it out in sections? Put it in a ponytail? Shake and go? Let it dry loose and unmanipulated?...What do you do?

Also, please indicate how long is your hair when stretched.

I look forward to your responses.Thanks in advance! :)

On con wash days I just pull it back into a ponytail/puff. On days that I shampoo and deep condition and all that, I'll detangle in 4 sections before pulling it back (about once or twice a week). I always apply Giovanni leave-in to my wet hair. Sometimes I'll also use a styling/hold product if I want a sleeker look.
My hair has been in 50 million natural layers since my big chop :lol: The shortest layer in front is past my chin, back is just reaching brastrap.

I add leave-in and oil then make several medium sized two-strand twists for twist-out the following morning. I only have 2.5", can't wait for it to grow longer.

After rinsing the conditioner, I make 7 sections on each side of my head. I apply Herbal Essences conditioner to each section then comb thru the section with my K cutter and denman d3 brush. Then I braid the section up and let the whole thing dry. The next morning I unbraid and run my fingers thru it.

It depends on my mood and what my hair wants. I have been wearing twists to aid in hair growth. For the next two weeks it will be a wash and go. I usually sport a headband channeling my inner Thelma from Good Times.

Well, i'm going through some changes with my routine. what I USED to do was conditoner wash, then apply some leave-in (homemade) then wrap with a towel then put into a puff. But I'm sure I'm wearing the puffs too much because my ends are not in the best of shape. I was frustrated this past week so I flat-ironed my hair to trim my ends and take a break while I figure out what my next step is. I see some nice routines in here though, good ideas.

I usually co-wash, moisturize, and put it in about 8 flat twists. Then I do a twist out the next day. But right now I'm trying to keep it low maintenace, so after I washed, I cornrowed the front and put the back in twists.

My current regimen when my hair is loose:

1. Apply leave in (conditioner)
  2. Use K Cutter comb
  3. Apply oil (coconut ;) )
  4. Use boar brush
  5. Style (twist, braid, puff, etc)

Sometimes I may use a little bit of ORS Olive Oil when it's fully dry.

Back