Naturals, what are you currently using as a leave-in?

NewYorkgyrl

I have tried using elucence as a leave-in but I don't like how my hair feels. I found an old bottle of Salerm 21 (almost finished) and I tried it after a co-wash and it made my hair feel pretty ok.

Before I purchase another bottle of this stuff...I would like to know what the naturals are currently using as a leave in so that I have some other ideas. How does it make your hair feel? And are youapplying it to soaking wet hair or partially airdried hair?

Currently, I'm using Beauty Without Cruelty Leave In. They have reformulated this a couple of times. It's a creamy leave in that I apply to my wet hair while I'm still in the shower. It leaves my hair soft and shiny. I'm being careful because my hair is protein sensitive and this has soy protein in it about half way down in the list of ingredients. But so far, so good.

blkbutterflyz0301 said:
I use Giovanni Direct leave-in. It moisturizes my hair verrrry well. I love it!

Hmmmm. I was using this when I was relaxing and I had pretty good results. I finished it and never bothered to buy another one...I might just have to make a trip to Whole Foods!

I use Elucence as well right now. But I heard that MOP leave in conditioner is pretty good. I have not tried it yet but I will in the near future.

For the past 3 weeks a mix of water,grapeseed oil,coconut oil,vitamin e oil, orange eo and a tad bit of sulfur and honey. I smell like oranges all day.

I don't use a leave-in often but when I do, it's Aveda Elixir. It leaves my hair very VERY soft and manageable. I apply it to damp hair and comb it through. It works very well after any conditioner but I find when I use it after an Aveda conditioner the results are incredible.

Giovanni Direct
Oyin Honey Hemp

Probably will also alternate Curls Milkshake in there too.

A LOT of naturals seems to also love Curl Junkie Hibiscus Honey Creme Leave-in (for fine hair).

ETA: second part of your question: I apply leave in to squeezed out wet hair (so it's very wet, but not soaking wet. Ideally, I'd apply it about 10 minutes after I got out the shower, but that never happens.

Last edited:
redken antisnap. someone suggested it to me. i dont have any reviews yet. i used to use scurl but it made my hair mushy and i was worried it made it easy for the strands to break. i put in the redken daily and follow with glycerine. I dont know if it will become a staple yet though. i usually stick to one product, so i will use this for a while and see.

mkstar826 said:
I don't use a leave-in often but when I do, it's Aveda Elixir. It leaves my hair very VERY soft and manageable. I apply it to damp hair and comb it through. It works very well after any conditioner but I find when I use it after an Aveda conditioner the results are incredible.

I second that!! I am an avid Aveda Elixir user as well. I ALWAYS use it as my leave in! I love it!

I use Elucence MB, but I have Aura Elixer and Aveda Elixer that I need to use up.

shhhh...don't tell anyone.

I use daily defense tender apple as a leave in
I think that I own the last 5 bottles in the continental US of A.

I'm pretty fond of Cantu Shea Butter Leave In Conditioning Repair Creme myself, though if one is heavy handed with it, it can leave the hair a little greasy feeling. I like the overall moisture retention it provides, my hair's increased softness, and the fact that the product can be readily purchased most anywhere.

At this moment I have Phyto 9 on my hair as a leave in, but my staple leave in is Nexxus Humectress. I also love a tiny bit of Redken Butter Treat. Aveda Elixir is excellent, so are Redken Anti Snap and Nexxus Phyto Organics Luxxtress.

I seal all of my leave ins with a little natural butter or oil.

A cheapie: Africa's Best Leave In Liquid Hair Mayonnaise :D
It works wonders and since I use a generous amount, the price is a plus.
I put about 3-4 teaspoons on my hair when it's still wet and seal with olive oil. After that I use a little on the ends every day.

AFashionSlave said:
shhhh...don't tell anyone.

I use daily defense tender apple as a leave in
I think that I own the last 5 bottles in the continental US of A.

Sorry, I have 6 bottles at home right now...:D

Back