Naturals: Was your hair type what you expected?

ScandalousBeauty

Hey Naturals and Transitioners!

I have been getting used to my hair type over the last 5 days or so, since I have been braided during my entire transition period. I assumed that I would have 4b hair, which I basically do. But I have found little ringlets/coils all throughout my hair! Isn't this a 4a characteristic? I was shocked to find them, shoot I wish they were all over!

The question is, after you decided against relaxing or texturizing, was your hair type what you thought it would be???

i just assumed my hair was 4b too, because my new growth always came out looking wiggly and zig-zaggy. i didn't realize that this was scab hair. once an inch or so of that grew out, my true texture came out.

i'm speaking generally of course... my hair is predominately 4a. i have some 4b and 3c mixed up in there too. and those random straight hairs from time to time... :eek:

kinda mad though, since i thought i'd be rocking twists most of the time and my hair won't hold twists for nothin... :lol:

Hi LilChocolateMa - Congrats on your transition!:)

You may discover that your hair is combo of 4a/4b, but your coils/ringlets are seperated due to styling - you could be combing/brushing out your curls.

try aridrying your hair - without too handling - to see how your hair texture reacts.

Good luck! :)

Not at all. I'm 3c/4a and have some crazy (but gorgeous) curls and spirals going on. I absolutely love my hair. After I BCd (transitioned for about 10 months) I could type my hair much better.

Girl I thought my hair was going to come out looking like Joan off girlfriends...

We are all mixed with something, but I must be mixed with African and African because my hair texture is straight up 4a/b....and on. My new growth was always so soft that it deceived me into thinking my curl pattern would be a lot more loose than it was...what a joke! (lol)

But I have grown to love my natural texture. It just took a reality check from all hair appliances such as the COMB, Blowdryer and don't even say rattail comb within hearing distance of my hair.

For the most part I knew I had an abundance of 3c and 4a hair. During my relaxed days, the hairdressers I went to always looked at my new growth and told me how curly and wavy it was. Since I was notorious for stretching my relaxers, the comments came rolling in more because my new growth was so obvious. Fortunately none of them were negative and I had a few who were in awe of my new growth and loved to massage it.

I do have some 4b hair in the very front but it wasn't obvious until I totally gave up chemicals. Overall I enjoy the mix of hair textures and wish I would've stayed natural the first time I went natural.

Last edited:
I had no idea what type my hair was. I just knew I wanted a fro. Unfortunately that wasn't quite possible unless I teased it up something awful. Anyways, I discovered a whole variety of textures on my head and loved em all.

i was a little schocked its curly in the front and froish in the back i was not expecting it to be different textures but i love it what ever it is LOL

It was more loosely curled than I expected, and less frizzy.

Because when I was a child the curls were always combed out because no-one knew how to look after curly hair! So I had massive frizzy hair back then...

I am not sure about my hair texture. When I BC I was shocked to find out that I had curls all over. I was glad about it but my hair texture threw me for a loop. I have really nice curls on the lower sides and all of my back. My lower back is very curly or very straight. It hangs I can't really do a full bush with the back hanging like it does. the top curls nicely as well but the top sides don't curl. I have to push to get it to curl up and its probably 4b hair or something. I can't say that I like it, its so different from the rest of my hair. But I tell you when I deep condition and put some curl keeper on it it really curls nicely. I am so happy I went natural I can't say it enough I dont' miss anything about the relaxer, well some days I am dying to see how long it is and its a challenge not to add heat to see

I wasn't too sure. When I was relaxed, stylists always just wanted to press and not relax b/c of the texture. Plus my hair doesn't do well with a lot of chemicals. I am a mixture of 3c and 4a.

In short, yes. My newgrowth when I was relaxed and transitioning was just a harbinger of things to come. My hair hasn't changed texture or done anything surprising like that. I'm grateful for that because I don't know how I'd get along with 3 different textures on my head :lol:

Yes it was. When I was younger my hair was so damaged and overprocessed by a relaxer that it had to be cut down to an inch. I have 4B hair.

I have been natural all my life (except for about two years for 4th and 5th grade). But I am still surprised at my hair. I have always been straighning my hair with a hot comb, which nautrally killed all the curls in my hair. I though my hair was about 3b because of that. But as my hair has grown and I have cut out all the old parts, and stopped using heat, I have noticed my hair is 4a/3c. My hair was also always really thin, and I now know that its not as thin as I thought, I was just damaging it!
But all in all, I love my hair. The only thing I don't like right now is the legth, because its in an akward stage, 4 or 5 more inches and I be able to put it in a ponytail eaiser than I can now and will have more styling options.

I was kinda shocked. I thought my hair would be 4b all over but it ain't at all, and I wish I could say that with a smile but it just makes it extra hard to take care of it:confused: it's really frustrating at times...My hair's 3b in the front and 4a/b in the back.

Kinda sorta. I had 18 years of experience with my natural texture before relaxing, but there was a difference after I cut off the relaxer. Before, my hair was wavy at the roots but got straighter further down. Now my hair maintains its texture all the way to the ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
lana said:
Girl I thought my hair was going to come out looking like Joan off girlfriends...

We are all mixed with something, but I must be mixed with African and African because my hair texture is straight up 4a/b....and on. My new growth was always so soft that it deceived me into thinking my curl pattern would be a lot more loose than it was...what a joke! (lol)

But I have grown to love my natural texture. It just took a reality check from all hair appliances such as the COMB, Blowdryer and don't even say rattail comb within hearing distance of my hair.

The bolded is way funny but still a beautiful thang. :lachen: :)

When I was natural I wasn't surprised by my hair type at all. I had to find the right products to retain moisture thru trial and error.
This bush was and still is too much hair even texturized.
I have two full heads of hair on my one head. Dyslla has four heads:look: . Her hair is really thick and beautiful.;)

I can not say what I expected my hair texture to be, but I knew it was not going to be thick. That is why my twists are pathetic.

I had an idea of what my hair type was since I used to stretch my relaxers for long periods of time. I have a mixture of 3c/4a hair, I absolutely love my texture. :p

I had no idea what to expect... and after a few years what my hair looks like now is nothing like it looked when I first started natural because I've learned what products work for it and how to style it... nice :). So in a few more years of being natural, my expectations may once again change. I really love my hair :cool: .

No it wasn't. Even though I only relaxed 4 times a year and I got familiar with my texture I didnt truly see it until after I chopped the relaxed ends. I had no idea that it would have a curl pattern. I was also suprised that it's so thin. I thought by going natural my hair would be thicker (it was thin as a relaxed head and was part of the reason for my transition) but it's not.

Didn't know what to expect because I was relaxed for more than 20 years. My hair is a 4a/b.... textbook 4a in the perimeter and 4b in the crown.... but it seems that the longer it grows out, it's growing out more of a 4a. It's delicate in that I'm figuring out that when I treat it right, it responds with such finesse.... but when I treat it wrong, it locks up! Hunh... sounds just like me: treat me right, I'm a lovely, sweet sexy thang.... treat me wrong, I lock up on ya!:lol:

When I was natural, I wasn't sure what to expect.

My hair was damaged with residual relaxer and colour.

Plus I wasn't taking care of it.

I was expecting this 4bness all over. And I thought I was.

But then I realized, damn, my hair has no curl pattern at all, is kinky, but no curl pattern.

Then I was like, hmm... yeah, my hair ain't wanna be typed :lachen:

I'm about 10 months into my transition and I still can't tell what my hair type is:look: About every month my hair looks different. My crown is way looser than my edges all around, but I know those were the most damaged areas full of scab hair.

I think I am a 4a/b but I guess time will tell, I am trying not to worry so much about type and more about health and style.

miss Congeniality said:
I didn't have an expectations for a hair type, but I did think it would be uniform. I have a mixture of 3c, 4a, 4b.
Me too. I have 4a in the front/4a possibly b i'm not sure at the crown(I'm not sure I just know it curls only if it feels like it) , and 3c at the very nape.

Sweetyb said:
I had no idea what to expect... and after a few years what my hair looks like now is nothing like it looked when I first started natural because I've learned what products work for it and how to style it... nice :). So in a few more years of being natural, my expectations may once again change. I really love my hair :cool: .

Same here. Also when I first BC'd I had heat damage from trying to keep my hair straight during my transition and possibly scab hair. Everyone is different but I think it takes at least a year or two after you stop relaxing to figure out what you have.

Back