naturals...pressing or flat iron

i like my flat iron....cuz i can do it myself...i caused a lot of damage and breakage when i tried to press my own hair! although, it was the old fashioned kind that you put on the stove....i might not have done as much damage if i had the electric kind....

If I straighten my own hair, I believe that I will use a flat iron b/c it's just easier for me to control. If I have somebody else do it such as my mother or my hair stylist, I'd let them use the pressing comb. I've never noticed any damage to my hair witht he pressing comb and I like that it gets my hair straighter.

Definitely the flat iron, a ceramic or titanium one. I think it's much easier to handle without burning oneself, and the results are better than with a pressing comb. It's also faster, and since the heat is regulated, there's less chance of scorching your hair.

Flatiron because it's faster, easier to maneuver, and the temperature is easily controlled.

After about 8 months of transitioning we did BC on my 13 year old and put in twisties at home. They have been turning out great and she doesn't care about the few teasings she gets at school. So for a special occasion I had her hair flat ironed at the beauty salon. It turned out beautifully :D and held up a lot longer than any of her pressing ever did before.

After we washed it some of her hair never went back natural. What I mean is when I tried to twist it, it wouldn't. We have washed it several times since then and certain parts of it are permanently straightened. :perplexed My guess is she put just enough heat on it just before it actually burned. Needless to say my daughter loves her natural and never wants it flat ironed or pressed or relaxed again.

I like flat ironing versus hot comb (pressing). I was using the Gold 'n Hot metal flat iron...but now I'm interested in ordering the Maxiglide flatiron....:)

I perfer flat iron, with the pressing comb I think it is good for getting around the front and back edges of your hair.

I prefer the pressing comb, its the only way I can get my roots. I normally place the comb on a damp dishrag before I place it in my hair to be sure it is not too hot.

I would say a pressing comb, because to me, it does a better job. If you use a flat iron, it never gets inbetween the strands, and you can't really press your roots. I know a lot of people that press their hair with a flat iron, and within days they have to do it all over again...what is the point. When I get my hair pressed, it lasts 3 weeks...that's when I wash my hair.
Yes, the flat iron is easier, but does it make you press stay as long as if you were to do it with a pressing comb? It's better to be careful with the hot comb, so you can get a complete press, than you a flat iron, then to have to do it all over again in a couple of days.
Hey...why not try both, and see which one holds up?

pet said:
I would say a pressing comb, because to me, it does a better job. If you use a flat iron, it never gets inbetween the strands, and you can't really press your roots. I know a lot of people that press their hair with a flat iron, and within days they have to do it all over again...what is the point. When I get my hair pressed, it lasts 3 weeks...that's when I wash my hair.
Yes, the flat iron is easier, but does it make you press stay as long as if you were to do it with a pressing comb? It's better to be careful with the hot comb, so you can get a complete press, than you a flat iron, then to have to do it all over again in a couple of days.
Hey...why not try both, and see which one holds up?
I would rather it not last as long rather than putting too much heat and damaging it. When I press my hair it lasts until I wash it out, but when I wash it out I get my curls back. Unlike when I get the hairdresser to press it with the comb and I still have straight parts! Whatever works though...everything isn't for everybody.

Flat iron! I can straighten and style in one shot where if I used a pressing comb, I'd have to follow up with a curling iron or flat iron to bump.

-when my mom does it i like the pressing comb
the pressing comb gives a more perm like effect
-when i do it i like the flatiron but i figured i
need one that goes above 375 F

Naptrl: I see what you're saying..I didn't think of it that way...the straight parts when washed that is. I never wear my hair curly, because it is to hard for me the handle..so I press it all the time. However when I wash my hair, my hair goes back curly just fine, I guess with other people, it doesn't. I would recommend that if this person is pressing their hair on a regular basis, they should use the pressing comb, that way they only have to use heat once, every two to three weeks.
But, if the person is going between curly and straight, they perhaps a flat iron would be best!

Back