Naturals - Please Help Me With My Twist-outs...With SHINE!!!

Aggie

I am newly natural and I am having the hardest time finding something that will help me achieve the best shiny twist-outs and to be honest my Fantasia styling gel and all curling gels are just not cutting it for me.

What is everyone using to achieve shiny fluffy twistouts? Is it butters, oils, creams...etc? I have seen some really beautiful AND shiny looking twist-outs and I want THAT LOOK:look:!

I NEED YOUR HELP ladies.

I don't use gels for my twistouts (but I will try that in the future). I usually use my leave-in (KCKT or Suave Coconut) and seal with my shea-coco mixture. When I separate I put coconut oil on my fingers and that helps alot with shine.
Here is a pic of how my hair looks:

It's not like relaxed shiny but it has a nice lil sheen to it. The pics don't really capture it tho.
HTH

I don't use gels for my twistouts (but I will try that in the future). I usually use my leave-in (KCKT or Suave Coconut) and seal with my shea-coco mixture. When I separate I put coconut oil on my fingers and that helps alot with shine.
Here is a pic of how my hair looks:

It's not like relaxed shiny but it has a nice lil sheen to it. The pics don't really capture it tho.
HTH

Thank you Curly Lee. It seems like it is the products that make the difference and that is the reason for my appeal to all the natural heads that have had successful twistouts on the board for help. I know there is a wealth of info here and thank you so much for chiming in.

By the way, I like pic #2 in your album. That one showed some awesome curl definition in that twist-out.

After my leave in, I put olive oil on it before my twist(over crisco) and then I separate with the olive oil on my fingers.

I use lottabody setting lotion. Thats it. You can see in my youtube video (at the end) the shine my hair has with just that alone for my braidouts.

Oh so it's the lottabody that gives the shine. i am really going to pick this up as soon as I can.

I know a natural on youtube was using Fantasia olive oil glosser and that always made my hair shine. I need to get that because using oil to take my hair out still leaves me with the frizzies.

By the way West I subbed to your channel.

i recently discovered organic root stimulator holding putting. shine and hold for real! i also like afroveda's totally twisted b/c it keeps my hair really soft and has a light hold. if u just want to maintain shine but don't really need moisture i'd recommend vatika oil.

Shea butter mixed with coconut oil gives me really good definition and shine until I separate (I think I separate too much so I lose definition)
Twistout
IMG_0164-vi.jpg

Braidout
IMG_0237-vi.jpg

Try Shea Moisture organic raw shea butter deep treatment masque w/ sea kelp, argan, and shea butter....VERY LONG Name lol..It's sold at Target...I LOVEEEEEEEEEEE IT!!!

Lately i've been twistig with plain old GREASE. Softee & DAX currently. I'll post a pic as soon as photobucket is back up :)

2010_05220101.jpg

Last edited:
I get great shine twisting with just Oyin Whipped Pudding on wet or damp hair. When I take my twists down (I keep them in for about a week) my hair is soft, defined & shiny.

Nairobi Foam Wrap give the most blingin shine of ANY foam wrap :yep:

and a little coconut oil on the finished result brings it out even more :yep:

Shea butter mixed with coconut oil gives me really good definition and shine until I separate (I think I separate too much so I lose definition)

I agree with Foxglove, I'm still transitioning but I use shea butter for hold and great definition and any oil for me gives the shine...pic in siggy.

i think a good DC, some kind of butter, and making sure they are all the way dry helps. Do you pick them out using an oil to define?

For my BEST twist and braid outs...I use the combo of KCCC & Knot Today or MJ Curly Meringue or Curly Pudding. I've tried a LOT of products and butters etc but the above listed give me the best shine, hold and movement. I don't like my hair weighed down or too greasy. I glaze my fingers with EVCO to unravel and style the hair and it gives the hair an even greater shine. I have a few pics in my fotki with KCCC results.

ETA: Many have had good success with Cantu Shea leave-in...however I could never get that product to work right for me. I may revist at some point.

HTH

I use lottabody setting lotion. Thats it. You can see in my youtube video (at the end) the shine my hair has with just that alone for my braidouts.

Lately i've been twistig with plain old GREASE. Softee & DAX currently. I'll post a pic as soon as photobucket is back up :)
My best twistouts are when I use Lottabody & grease on wet hair - both cheap and readily available.

Last edited:
Recently, I found out that. Castor oil and water is all I need when it comes to twistouts (as well as braidouts and flat-twist outs). My hair comes out shiny. My hair is really defined afterwards and I usually have enough of the oil on there to retwist without adding product. Hope this helps.

products with hold tend to give my hair lots of shine.
i like the keracare foam wrap-the proclaim one is pretty good too.
the cantu cream is great stuff too.

Thanks for the tip on the lottabody westNDNbeauty. I'm desperate so I'm willing to try just about everything to get some fluffy but shiny twistouts, emphasis on shiny.

Twistout
IMG_0164-vi.jpg

Braidout
IMG_0237-vi.jpg

Wow, these are nice FG and I see the frizzies you're talking about in this last pic. I just ordered some shealoe butter from lotioncrafter.com and hope it works. I am willing to try the lottabody too.

Nairobi Foam Wrap give the most blingin shine of ANY foam wrap :yep:

and a little coconut oil on the finished result brings it out even more :yep:

Okay this foam wrap lotion keeps popping up all over the place and I mean in a good way, so I have to go look for it. Thanks for the heads up.

i think a good DC, some kind of butter, and making sure they are all the way dry helps. Do you pick them out using an oil to define?
You ladies are educating me on how to do the twistouts. I didn't know that I had to have oil on my fingers to pick them out. Hence the reason for all the frizz and lack of shine. Thanks again.

I use afroveda whipped gelly mixed with their butter curl define. upon untwisting i use a mix of shea butter and oil such as evco, grapeseed, or evoo. whipped gelly and curl define already give a nice shine but i use oil to untwist to cut down on frizz.

I use a good butter and sometimes an oil to seal and get a nice sheen...I wont' call it shine. Shea butter (once it sinks in) is good for giving me shine, though I know some people say it makes their hair look dull. If I use an oil, it's gotta be coconut or grapeseed because they are both relatively light. One of my best twistouts:

Photoon20091207at11_05-vi.jpg

I also want to put out there that a lot of times my hair looks a lot shinier than it really is because of the camera flash. I kept looking for shine starting out but settled for a nice sheen. My hair only shines when it's straight.

So sometimes a person's hair might look super shiny, but the flash from the camera really makes it look a lot shinier.

I use afroveda whipped gelly mixed with their butter curl define. upon untwisting i use a mix of shea butter and oil such as evco, grapeseed, or evoo. whipped gelly and curl define already give a nice shine but i use oil to untwist to cut down on frizz.
Thanks southerncitygirl for this. I hear a lot of good things about this gelly as well. I need to check this site out.

Coconut oil gives great shine, but I found that my shine (or in my case, sheen) situation improved once I got a better handle on my porosity issues.

Back