Naturals....Need info on glycerine for moisture

Cooyah

I'm trying to replace most of my products with natural hair products....do any of you use glycerine and water for your hair and what have been ur experience....TIA

I am not natural but I use glycerine as a moisturizer. I mix mine with Rose water and a little bit of conditioner and jojoba oil. It works really well as long as I don't use too much glycerine. I use vegetable glycerine. I like to seal the spray with coconut oil.

I can't use this as my only moisturizer though, I also need a cream moisturizer. I use a couple.

Good Luck!

trimbride said:
I am not natural but I use glycerine as a moisturizer. I mix mine with Rose water and a little bit of conditioner and jojoba oil. It works really well as long as I don't use too much glycerine. I use vegetable glycerine. I like to seal the spray with coconut oil.

I can't use this as my only moisturizer though, I also need a cream moisturizer. I use a couple.

Good Luck!

Where do you purchase these?

Earthfare or any healthfood store. Vegetable Glycerine from what I understand is very similar to honey in that it is a humectant. It is sweet like honey also, you can use it in cooking. If push comes to shove I am sure you can substitute honey. I use about a tablespoon of glycerine, a tablespoon of conditioner (VO5 Strawberries and Cream), a teaspoon of jojoba oil, and 8-10 ounces of rose water (regular bottled water should work just as well, I just like the smell of the rose water).

I use it. I get different results depending on the weather. It works best in the humidity, in my experience. I use either vegetable glycerine and rosewater, or I mix up some glycerine + distilled water + a few drops of lavender EO.

I agree with the mixed results post...I couldn't understand why sometimes I would use it and it would make my hair soft and moisturized while other times it would feel hard and slippery (not a good type of slippery) this is why I alternate with using this and creamy moisturizers. I really like Silk Elements moisturizer.

I use vegetable glycerin in my homemaded moisturizer and I put it in a spray bottle:

Spring water(500 ml to 750 ml)
+
oils(carrot,almond,avocado,olive,castor) 2 or 3 teaspoons for each oil
+
glycerin(100ml)
+
Le KaÏR cholesterol (5 teaspoons)
+
Essential oil(ylang ylang or rosemary or lavender)
30 drops

I use it every day in winter but two/three time a week in summer !

Not a natural but been using glycerin for years. For body, I add to lotions to boost moisture content and in the hot humid summer months when regular lotion is too "oily" I mix with aloe vera for a non-oily moisturizer for body care.

For hair, I mix up a few drops of glycerin, panthenol and sodium PCA with distilled water in a spray bottle for "misting" and follow with a bit of oil in between wash days. This is the only thing I use on my dry hair.

I get the glycerin and panthenol from local health food stores (NOW 100% pure vegetable glycerin $5 for 16oz, NOW 100% pure d-panthenol $6 for 1oz). I order the sodium PCA from www.thepersonalformulator.com. Glycerin, Panthenol and Sodium PCA are all "humectants" that moisturize skin and hair. HTH

My hair doesn't like much glycerine. I can use a bit in my moisture spritz, but it's the 4th ingredient, after water, aloe vera juice, and honey/molasses.

Maybe because we don't have as much humidity around here.

Back