calling all glycerine users and lovers

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:
This is scary.. Where Adriennes, I know shes a fan of S-Curl.
Did anyone try deep conditioning with a good moisturizing conditioner??

[/ QUOTE ]

Denali, don't be scurred
wink.gif
..... an adverse reaction may or may not happen to you. However, at least if your hair starts acting adversely towards the glycerin then you'll be able to pinpoint the problem sooner.

I did try clarifying, deep conditioning, moisturizing shampoo.....I'm a huge PJ so I tried everything I knew to but to no avail.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought I read where Adrienne uses activator mostly on the "ends" of her hair. I was using it all over so maybe that's one of the reasons it didn't work for me
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ATLwavylocks said:

Yes, I too, suffered from GWS (glycerin withdrawal syndrome)
lachen70.gif
I absolutely know first hand what your daughter is going through. I started using Sta Soft Fro about 9 years ago when I had a relaxer. I don't know if it was the moisturizer/activator or just the fact that I was pregnant, but my hair grew after being cut from underarm length to waist. So, I attibuted the growth to the Sta Soft Fro. I would mix the SSF with grease or oil or other moisturizers (or just use it by itself) and my hair was always BLINGIN'!!!! I soon switched to Right On Curl Activator. Now maybe because the Right on had a higher glycerin content than the SSF but within a short time I noticed a pattern. I'd wash my hair and apply the Right on and/or SSF, my hair would be mega detangled and super shiny. Once it dried, I HAD to apply more or else my hair would be dry as the desert. So, I'd put on more, it would look nice for awhile but each day I didn't apply it, it would get drier and drier.

Well, I did this routine for years and when I got bored with glycerin type products I tried switching to something else, it would NEVER work. My hair would still be dry and not look half as shiny as with the SSF. So, here I was thinking that SSF was just going to have to be a permanent staple in my hair care regimen cause nothing else would work.

Over time I grew out the relaxer and tried the activator on my natural hair but it didn't work. I finally quit using products with glycerin (or rather high glycerin content) and my hair was so messed up for awhile (i.e. dry without much shine) I suffered through the tough times then finally my hair got back "right".

However, I did experiment on my two daughters. A small part of me thought the glycerin didn't work because it was just "my" hair and all its quirkiness. Well, same thing happened with theirs. An initial softness and sheen was there that turned to super dryness.

So, girl, I feel you.....for real!!!!! I think what you're saying is true that overtime that glycerin will put the hair into a viscious cycle of dryness. Well, let me qualify.....that's what it seems like it did to MY hair, my daughters and it looks like your daughter, too. I wish your daughter much luck in getting her hair back.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I cant tell how glad I am you posted this
wink.gif
...i know it wasnt just me now, see ya'll i aint crazy
laugh.gif

thats stuff jacked her hair up bad!!

its doing better now though, thank God!!

I really hope that glycerine doesn't stop working for me. I'm a big S-curl fan. I have products that soften and moisturize my hair so i'm not totally s-curl dependent, but the s-curl does the job without the greasiness, and coats my strands in a way that they knot up less.

btw my daughter's hair is better!! but i can tell its still not all the way back to normal or being "itself " yet, im just thankfull i got rid of some of that awfull brittleness she had. it was terrible. but i know its gonna take some time to get her hair right , the way it should be. Im just glad i caught on to this finally

[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:

[/ QUOTE ] i tried EVERYTHING , and her hair was still brittle, thats what let me know something was REALLY WRONG... at first i was totally panicing cause i thought she was sick or something...untill i started putting it all together...ive only managed to get some moisture back in her hair by actually giving her the glycerine fix one time again, and working on her hair every single day for a week straight. and its still not where it was before.

[ QUOTE ]
Irresistible said:
[ QUOTE ]
Denali03 said:

[/ QUOTE ] i tried EVERYTHING , and her hair was still brittle, thats what let me know something was REALLY WRONG... at first i was totally panicing cause i thought she was sick or something...untill i started putting it all together...ive only managed to get some moisture back in her hair by actually giving her the glycerine fix one time again, and working on her hair every single day for a week straight. and its still not where it was before.

[/ QUOTE ]
shocked.gif
Geesh, thats wild
frown.gif
... I am happy to hear her hair is doing better!!!

Wow, interesting thread...I use SCurl every day, but there was a period when I stopped and I didnt notice anything unusual. Doesnt mean it cant happen to me in the future though. Definitely something to think about.

I noticed this with Pro-Line sof sheen. I used it for about a month my hair was extremely soft, then it turned to cardboard and stayed that way! I love glycerin but i think balance is important. E.g. when i do my own glycerin and aloe mix my hair is great its soft and moist...however once my hair dries its still soft but it goes kind of brittle, this could be due to the fact that glycerin thrives off moisture, so if there is none around (e.g. on your hair or atmosphere) then it results in dry hair. Hence why some people only use glycerin in certain seasons when they know there is moisture in the atmosphere. I find that using glycerin in an oil based product (ike what im using now), is way more beneficial, i do not have the same problem of dryness. And if my hair gets a little dull, i can just wet my hands and run them through my hair or "sprits" and im good to go.

Why don't you try adding more water to your leave in that way the glycerine will attract the additional water and not mositure from your hair

Why don't you try adding more water to your leave in that way the glycerine will attract the additional water and not mositure from your hair

This thread was in 2004 I have ditched all glycerine containing products since. I always hated it anyway, sticky , gunky ewww, my daughter's hair was the one that loved it and then I found out about the down sides , in this thread!

I think there are many ways to use it and make it better for those that choose, I choose to not make it part of my regimen. I HATE IT

I noticed this with Pro-Line sof sheen. I used it for about a month my hair was extremely soft, then it turned to cardboard and stayed that way! I love glycerin but i think balance is important. E.g. when i do my own glycerin and aloe mix my hair is great its soft and moist...however once my hair dries its still soft but it goes kind of brittle, this could be due to the fact that glycerin thrives off moisture, so if there is none around (e.g. on your hair or atmosphere) then it results in dry hair. Hence why some people only use glycerin in certain seasons when they know there is moisture in the atmosphere. I find that using glycerin in an oil based product (ike what im using now), is way more beneficial, i do not have the same problem of dryness. And if my hair gets a little dull, i can just wet my hands and run them through my hair or "sprits" and im good to go.

I agree with this. Mixing glycerin with oil/oil based product is a good idea:scratchch

I'm sitting here WOW'd by this thread. I ALWAYS thought glycerin was the business. And, I admit I tend to not pay attention to details (i.e., never noticed this happening when I use glycerin and Carefree curl type products).

I stumbled over here from the cheapie conditioner topic 'cause you know I've stocked up on 'em after becoming active here. The Deva One is soooo 'spensive FOR ME (I only work p/t); but dang, the object lesson may be, "You get what you pay for".

WOW (re. glycerin)

I agree with this. Mixing glycerin with oil/oil based product is a good idea:scratchch

I still do this. when I do wash and go's I seal the S-curl with castor oil. But this may be the ish for me 'cause I live in the caribbean. For people that live in drier/ colder climates the adverse effects of glycerine are not so sexy.

I feel you OP. I'd like to get my 'unasissted' moisture level up to where I can just seal with oil and not have to use any kind of leave-in.

such an interesting thread. im going to cut down on adding glycerine to my dcs in the winter at least.

I used a lot of glycerin products when I had a Wave Nouveau and after I started learning about proper haircare I would think about how my hair was then and I had a lot of the symptoms that you guys are describing. But I think that I might have had those problems because I needed more protein to balance all that moisture. I have read that protein is needed to maintain moisture in hair. Especially because my hair was processed though.

I started my hair journey because I got my hair pressed and wasn't using any of my normal moisturizing products. I went to work that afternoon and my hair turned gray.

I am not joking. Everybody was looking at me like I was crazy! I had no idea what was going on and as soon as I got home I threw different products in it until it turned black again. I don't know how many I used or what was in them but there was probably glycerin in it. When I went to the stylist to get my hair done again the whole middle section of my hair had broken off to like 2 inches long. I definitely think I had glycerin withdrawal. Now I know that the middle of my head is more delicate, coarse, and dry than the rest.

I was just about to start using it again! I'm scared!

:bump::bump::bump:

only because i use a 1:1:1 mix of water, aloe vera juice and glycerine regularly, like daily. i read that if the glycerine is mixed with water then iht does not dry out the hair.

now i'm scurred....and....:confused:

Back