Naturals: is it possible to straighten once a week..

trackstar

And not become heat trained or damaged? I am transitioning and have no other style options but to flat iron my new growth until I decide to BC (probably not for another year). I want to make sure my curls are still curls when I do! If so, please state your techniques! TIA ladies!:spinning:

I think as long as you deep condition and use heat protection you should be fine.Keep an eye on your ends though as they may need regular dustings.hth

I think you can. However, I think you would get damage if you are using a marcel iron versus a ceramic flat iron. I think the big issue would be the amount of heat you use.

I think there may be some slight heat training, but not necessarily damage if you use heat protectant and like the other ladies said DC weekly and ceramic irons. I would also suggest bi-weekly or monthly protein treatments depending on how much you think you need it.

You'll probably still have curls when you finally do BC, but they may be a looser texture than if you hadn't flat ironed weekly.

The bottom half of my hair strands are looser than the top because of more heat use previously.

Yes you can like the ladies said.

However there are dozens of hair options for transitioners...Protective styling can help....

You may invest in going to a natural hair salon or any salon that can do cute natural updo's you can wear a week or 2 at a time or learn to do them yourself. Flat-ironing to keep that relaxed look is not the only option to look good while transitioning....

Many ladies do braids, but you have to give your scalp a rest for a few weeks in between braid installs...Same thing for weaves....

I have seen many transitioners here do 80-90% protective styling with beautiful results...plus not to mention all the natural styles you can find on this site alone.....That way you can limit how much heat you use to less than 3 times/month if possible...It takes a lot of creativity, experimenting, probably some cute hair accessories, and practice! Trust me...I've been there....

Back