Naturals, is it a crime to do this?

RegaLady

I am transitioning to natural, and have gotten good growth in the months. However, the biggest thing for me has been straiter edges. To me, having them just makes certain hairstyles more polished. So, is it a crime or healthy to relax or even texlax this part, while growing everything out. I know, it is ultimately my choose, buthas anyone done this?:ohwell:

I am transitioning to natural, and have gotten good growth in the months. However, the biggest thing for me has been straiter edges. To me, having them just makes certain hairstyles more polished. So, is it a crime or healthy to relax or even texlax this part, while growing everything out. I know, it is ultimately my choose, buthas anyone done this?:ohwell:

I think someone asked something similar to that before. If I can find the thread, I will post it for you.
But anyhoo...can you lightly flat iron it? Or will your hair not be straight if you lay it down with a scarf? If you are transitioing, if you continue to relax or texlax that part, it may mess up your whole transition. IDK.

straight edges + natural textured ends = doesn't make much sense to me :look:

plus as your roots grow out, you have to re-texturize/touch-up anyway... eventually as your hair grows out you're gonna end up with more texturized hair than natural hair. i dunno, it makes more sense to me to just texturize all of your hair. JMHO

Funny that you posted this. I'm sitting at my desk wearing cornrows (my signature style) this set is 12 days old and as usual I have that halo of fuzz around my hairline. Which as my husband would say makes me look like a 8 year old whose mom works too much to take care of her hair:perplexed.

I haven't considered relaxing the front as you mention because I really want to avoid all chemicals. But this fuzz/frizz is off the chain!

I'd have to say that your theory sounds like something that would help with the polished look but oooo, it sounds kinda risky. Those edges & kitchen are usually the most fragile areas.

I'm interested in seeing what the other ladies have to say and if anyone is using this method.

plus as your roots grow out, you have to re-texturize/touch-up anyway... eventually as your hair grows out you're gonna end up with more texturized hair than natural hair. i dunno, it makes more sense to me to just texturize all of your hair. JMHO

I agree with this, I just use JBCO(a dab will do ya) on wet edges then tie down with a scarf.. that helps lay edges down nicely.

Funny that you posted this. I'm sitting at my desk wearing cornrows (my signature style) this set is 12 days old and as usual I have that halo of fuzz around my hairline. Which as my husband would say makes me look like a 8 year old whose mom works too much to take care of her hair:perplexed.

I haven't considered relaxing the front as you mention because I really want to avoid all chemicals. But this fuzz/frizz is off the chain!

I'd have to say that your theory sounds like something that would help with the polished look but oooo, it sounds kinda risky. Those edges & kitchen are usually the most fragile areas.

I'm interested in seeing what the other ladies have to say and if anyone is using this method.
Rightttt! Ironically it is my weakest area.:sad: I want to be able to wear a ponytail, sew-in, and other styles, but the edges are to frizziest, and a dead giveaway to redo a hairstyle. It my edges were softer, transitioning would be a breeze.
Some of you ladies suggested pressing or flat ironing. That would be great, I guess! I don't want to apply heat to it. I have been doing great with no heat, so this kinda scares me. But, so does the relaxer.:nono:

You are right! I just want a permanent fix to this.:rolleyes:

Actually Ashanti does this - relax her her hairline/edges and leaves the rest Natrual.

I would say to myself for what when all else is relaxed. She as well wanted sleek edges as well.

Its your choice it works for some and not others.

If you relaxed your edges, your going to ends up with a fully texalaxed edges, eventually - which I think would look pretty odd with natural hair in the middle.

*shrug* I would try pomades, scarfs, patience & letting the short hairs grow out long enough to be included in the rest of your styles - basically anything else.

But, it's your hair! Do what makes ya happy.

Yea I remember the old thread....and honestly due to manipulation your crown area gets kinda straight anyways. Castor oil, a scarf, and a soft bristle brush will smooth you out. After two years natural, my edges are naturally straight and have no problems laying down.

Wow, thank you ladies! I was on my way to get a kiddie relaxer, to get those edges straight. But, you saved me and my money!:grin: I guess I will have to wait for my edges to grow with the rest of my hair.

honestly it sounds crazy drastic to me.

i'd get myself a couple sample vials of that Sabino stuff and either rollerset downwards to cover the front edges with curls, swoop bang it or flatiron it straight.

you could also use twists to make a nice controlled and interesting look in the front and wear your hair like you want in the back - like a rollerset, perm rod or flexirod set or even create a beautiful up do!

http://twistandcurves.homestead.com/files/tc2/style.htm
^^ check out the girls on the 5th row, 1st and last one.
http://www.naani.com/contents/media/flattwists.jpg more
http://www.naani.com/Articles/articles/254/1/Flat-Twists/Page1.html

honestly it sounds crazy drastic to me.

i'd get myself a couple sample vials of that Sabino stuff and either rollerset downwards to cover the front edges with curls, swoop bang it or flatiron it straight.

you could also use twists to make a nice controlled and interesting look in the front and wear your hair like you want in the back - like a rollerset, perm rod or flexirod set or even create a beautiful up do!

http://twistandcurves.homestead.com/files/tc2/style.htm
^^ check out the girls on the 5th row, 1st and last one.
http://www.naani.com/contents/media/flattwists.jpg more
http://www.naani.com/Articles/articles/254/1/Flat-Twists/Page1.html[/quote

Thank you!:grin:

what style are you wanting to look more polished? If it is just smoothing it back into a bun or pony, I agree with the other ladies that a scarf, will do the trick.

I am sure that SOMEONE here has done this...

It is up to you. Do what works for your hair...

HHG!

Thank you for creating this thread. I was wondering the same but, I wanted to do this to my nape. My nape is very short (it broke off a few months ago) and I thought about straighten it. I think I'll try to found some mango butter or shea butter to help it lay down as it's growing out.

I'm currently transitioning to natural and my edges are nape are already showing my curl texture. Actually, my nape hasn't been relaxed in over 6 months so there's at least an inch and a half of natural hair back there.

What I do is wet my edges and use either castor oil, or NTM and then some jojoba and smooth down with a bristle brush and tie down with a scarf. My waves still show (because I've been airdrying a lot lately) but it looks very neat and polished when I pull back into my bun/pony style.

You are right! I just want a permanent fix to this.:rolleyes:

Your permanent fix is going to have to be your mindset about this, unfortunately.

If you are wanting to truly transition to completely natural, you are going to have to accept that depending on your hair type you may not get the smooth edges you use to have as a relaxed head.

There are ways to make it smooth, the ladies have suggested some, but remember you are working with a different type of hair so you have to let that type of hair tell you what it will or will not do.

I have 4B as a natural and I know that no amount of gel, oil, creams etc are going to keep my edges smooth. It just won't happen and I had to come to that conclusion that was a style or look, I would no longer be able to have.

Here are some other products folks have used.

Alove Vera gel
Qhemets Pomade (I think)
Any gel w/o the alcohol base in it may be beneficial.

Best wishes on the hair journey as well as the changes that will take place in your mind about your hair. :yep:

Oh LORD bad bad bad idea.

I know when I was relaxed, by edges seemed to be the first to "revert" and show texture like someone else said. This means that you would have to touchup that area quite often. What happens when the new growth shows? You'll be in the same boat. Plus your edges are fragile and this can cause breakage. This is why I actually stopped relaxing those areas in my last few months of being relaxed, and they flourished.

There are ways to keep those edges sleek and frizz free, I've seen some great product suggestions here. A toothbrush and some pomade followed with a scarf have worked wonders on my little sister's 4b hair.

I'm currently transitioning to natural and my edges are nape are already showing my curl texture. Actually, my nape hasn't been relaxed in over 6 months so there's at least an inch and a half of natural hair back there.

What I do is wet my edges and use either castor oil, or NTM and then some jojoba and smooth down with a bristle brush and tie down with a scarf. My waves still show (because I've been airdrying a lot lately) but it looks very neat and polished when I pull back into my bun/pony style.

Co-signing on the bolded...castor oil is excellent for laying edges down.

Oh LORD bad bad bad idea.

I know when I was relaxed, by edges seemed to be the first to "revert" and show texture like someone else said. This means that you would have to touchup that area quite often. What happens when the new growth shows? You'll be in the same boat. Plus your edges are fragile and this can cause breakage. This is why I actually stopped relaxing those areas in my last few months of being relaxed, and they flourished.

There are ways to keep those edges sleek and frizz free, I've seen some great product suggestions here. A toothbrush and some pomade followed with a scarf have worked wonders on my little sister's 4b hair.
I can honestly say that my thin sides are feeling in thicker since my relaxer has been growing out. So I do want to keep the growing!

It's not criminal, it just makes no sense. Like someone else said, you'll have relaxed hair all around the hairline, but the rest of your hair will be natural. I'm a fully natural 4ab and this works for me:

water+gel+boar bristle brush+scarf=slick/non fuzzy edges.

why not just press it?

Lys

This is exactly what I do to straighten my edges. On a daily basis I apply some mango butter to my edges and brush them with a tooth brush and then apply a scarf for about five minutes so they lay straight. This keeps my edges looking straight and soft.

I have to agree with the above posters.

I think what you're referring to is a "halo" -just relaxing the hair line.

Militants will scoff and claim you're not natural/can't handle it -hogwash, in my opinion. :nono:

Your hair is YOURS. :grin: Do what makes you feel good. That said, I'd try using the brushing/gel techniques mentioned above, flat ironing, or pressing it.

And yes, accepting that to some degree, "flat, sleek, and smooth" on natural hair is not the same as "flat, sleek, and smooth" on relaxed hair is important, but I'm sure you already know that. :yep:

It just bears repeating, even if for my own benefit. :perplexed

I have reviewed IC Fantasia Gel, Giovanni extreme hold gel and Aveda styling pomades in my drugstore and salon albums respectively. They could help if you pursue the scarf/brush/prouct route. I hope this helps!

Happy Hair Growing!

Your permanent fix is going to have to be your mindset about this, unfortunately.

If you are wanting to truly transition to completely natural, you are going to have to accept that depending on your hair type you may not get the smooth edges you use to have as a relaxed head.

There are ways to make it smooth, the ladies have suggested some, but remember you are working with a different type of hair so you have to let that type of hair tell you what it will or will not do.

I have 4B as a natural and I know that no amount of gel, oil, creams etc are going to keep my edges smooth. It just won't happen and I had to come to that conclusion that was a style or look, I would no longer be able to have.

Here are some other products folks have used.

Alove Vera gel
Qhemets Pomade (I think)
Any gel w/o the alcohol base in it may be beneficial.

Best wishes on the hair journey as well as the changes that will take place in your mind about your hair. :yep:

ITA, especially with the bolded.
I couldn't have said it better myself.
This is perfect advice IMHO.

Back