Naturals in 2008 BOOTCAMP...SUPPORT THREAD

PanamasOwn

O.K. this my first BOOTCAMP... well first time as a natural as well... are there any tips that we could maybe share to help us get through this process. Jan 1 I put in some conrows and now I am sick of them. I want them out of my head like NOW( and I commited to 4 sessions)

What else can we as naturals do to make sure we achieve the maximum growth and retention?

I am shooting for 12 inches.....

O.K. this my first BOOTCAMP... well first time as a natural as well... are there any tips that we could maybe share to help us get through this process. Jan 1 I put in some conrows and now I am sick of them. I want them out of my head like NOW( and I commited to 4 sessions)

What else can we as naturals do to make sure we achieve the maximum growth and retention?

well, this is my first challenge period. i'm currently sporting a natural, short crop cut. i do daily co-washes; poo and dc weekly; use mn mixture, lv-in con, activator, and seal all of that with bb extra light super gro. i just did my first oil rinse w/ evoo tonight. if my hair feels as soft dry as it was wet, then it's a keeper.

i too committed to do all 4 sessions. hhg.:yawn:

I am wearing my natural hair braided under wigs/quick weaves for the bootcamp challenge.

I'm wearing twists and braids with my own hair. I keep these styles in for at least 2 weeks, wear a twistout or braidout, and then redo the style.

what one natural does may not be okay for another. it is really trail and error. here are some things to try:

You can twists or braid your hair (no extensions). You can leave them in your hair for a week or two and take them out for a day or two (twistout/braidout). Then wash your hair, DC, detangle, and rebraid. Twist/Braid hair wet or damp and use a good moisturizer

Or you can CW your hair and braid it up at night and take the braids out in the morning. Depending on what time you get up in the morning, you may have to wash hair in early evening because hair take long time to dry. Use a good moisturizer. If you wash hair at night always braid it other wise it looks a mess in morning

When the weather is warm, try wash n gos.

Minimize your combing. Start finger combing. Start at the ends and work towards roots. Be gentle. Try to go as long as you can without combing.

Balance moisture/protein shampoos/conditioners.

try oil rinses; it reduces tangles.

Try yogurt, buttermilk, alma powder, brahaj powder, and/or coconut milk once a week.Use like a prepoo. It loosens hair and you don't experience as many tangles and knots.

I like this thread...but of course Im biased :yep:

I would suggest that you find 2-3 styles that you like and just rotate them each wash. That is what I did to get through 2007 bootcamp. It wasn't extremely exciting but it got the job done.

For me those three styles were an afro phony-pony, two-strand twists with my natural hair, and twist-outs.

Cornrows could be one of your three and you just wear them for two-weeks at a time and then go to Style #2.
The previous posters have given some good suggestions with weaves, wigs, etc. Its kinda like finding your staple products....you have to find the staple styles that work for you and then just be consistent.

I would suggest you look in fotki's for inspriration, practice remixing things on your own head, etc. until you find two or three low mani/protective styles that you like.
I know I was looking like buckwheat a time or two during my trial and error stage...but it all pays off in the end.

Also, this is my tip and may not work for everyone...but it worked for me. I only wash my hair every 2-3 weeks. :look: This keeps me from having to deal with my strands too often and keeps the workload down because it takes me hours to do my hair. I just use moisture spritz sealed with oil in between for maintenence. I strongly believe that the key to hair growth is simplicity plus consistency. So I try to keep my regimen simple and not very time consuming.

If I think of any other tips, Ill let you know. Oh if you feel an itch to wear your hair straight and have already used your heat pass, buy a wig :grin: I did that once, wore it for a week, and then gave it away once my itch was gone. I might buy another one for this challenge...just in case :yep:

Last edited:
I'm wigging it. I also have some phony ponys and buns I wear from time to time. I pretty much leave my hair alone though.

Well for me I am at a point where a "challenge" really isnt' a challenge to me since I have settled into my "laziness". I am just at a point that I want to do my hair and not worry about messing with it. I twist once a month and let it go. I have been wearing my natural hair out in public for almost 5 yrs. I don't use heat, and I don't wear extensions often anymore. For me, I just twist it up and forget about it. When I want a change, I will curl twists, bantu knot aka china bump, crimp twists(by braiding sections) make it look as if I have a bob(by pinning up twists, or wetting for shrinkage in certain areas) and when I really don't wanna be bothered with it, I will do side buns or a bun in the back and wear that for a really long time. Protective styling is helping to reduce manipulation and assisting me in retaining the growth that I am getting. When I did do extensions I would always put in singles, so I could do a zillion styles with it and not get bored right away, ya know? hth good luck.

Comb coils. twists, twists in a bun, twists with hair jewelry, twist outs, partial twist outs- top twisted, bottom twisted out.

Back