Naturals...I am Debating Texlaxing or Relaxing...PLEASE STOP ME!

It's funny you saying you missed your rollersets because when you bc'd I remember thinking how well your hair was doing with your rollersets. It always looked so pretty. Perhaps texlaxing will give you what you want--more ease with getting sleek styles but still maintain some thickness. It just seems like it is difficult getting it just right though.

I am determined to stay natural for awhile, just made my 2 year anniversary and goodness if I had a major setback I would be devistated--that is what keeps me on course for now. I ask myself if I would be hurt over a setback, and the answer is always yes. I am not at the point where I could just say oh well and bc again or go through a long transition. I want health and length first. I gave relaxers nearly 30 years and stayed at neck length forever, just two years of being natural and I am SL and shooting for APL by the end of the year, so I gotta give my natural hair more time.

If you really really want straight hair most of the time and feel confident you can take good care of it, I say go for it. If you are unsure at all just give yourself a few more months or even another year. I always say just do what will make you the happiest.

Oh my goodness, you hit it right there. I just knew that if I kept rollersetting and not doing anything too heat related, my hair would grow. But, I cut it all off b/c of heat and color damage. Looks like I did it again, too. At the time that I took my newest fotki pictures, I had never put heat on the colored parts of my hair. Looking at the pics, my hair is dry and SERIOUSLY needs a trim. I went to my salon today and she was trying to get me to relax. I have so many fond memories of the days with the gorgeous styles. I might have been at ear length for awhile, but damn my hair looked good!

I am positive that I won't relax, but I seriously wonder about texlaxing. I am so scared that it will be too straight, and I really do want to keep this thickness. I also don't want to worry about touch-ups. But, I would love to keep this thickness! To be honest, that's the best thing about being natural for my hair. I don't have any extra length, and I can't really style with ease. I did blowdry and flat iron my hair, just the front, and I was VERY happy about how straight it got!!!! :yep: But, I need to dye my hair all black again, and definitely need a trim. Until all that happens, I won't be wearing my hair straightened. *Off to read some threads on texlaxing...

It's funny you saying you missed your rollersets because when you bc'd I remember thinking how well your hair was doing with your rollersets. It always looked so pretty. Perhaps texlaxing will give you what you want--more ease with getting sleek styles but still maintain some thickness. It just seems like it is difficult getting it just right though.

I am determined to stay natural for awhile, just made my 2 year anniversary and goodness if I had a major setback I would be devistated--that is what keeps me on course for now. I ask myself if I would be hurt over a setback, and the answer is always yes. I am not at the point where I could just say oh well and bc again or go through a long transition. I want health and length first. I gave relaxers nearly 30 years and stayed at neck length forever, just two years of being natural and I am SL and shooting for APL by the end of the year, so I gotta give my natural hair more time.

If you really really want straight hair most of the time and feel confident you can take good care of it, I say go for it. If you are unsure at all just give yourself a few more months or even another year. I always say just do what will make you the happiest.

It's when I go to Church that makes it hard!!! It was like this even when I was relaxed. I see all these gorgeous styles and I want my hair DONE. Not twists, not twist outs, not fuzzy WGO's, but a sleek, sexy wrap or a hot up-do. And y'all have NO IDEA how much I miss my at home weekly roller sets and rods! :sad: I love the thickness of my hair and all as a natural, and I have figured out alot.

I am seriously considering going back to my old ways! I don't want to press my hair or do any of that to receive "relaxed" results, and I do NOT want to run from rain, sleet, snow or humidity.

HELP!!!!!

hmmm. Well - all I can say is to hang in there. I think after reading "No Lye" - I rarely have a thought about going back to a relaxer. I think that if I can be me - and get my hair to a great place - hey.... Then I have no issues.
I know what my hair looked like when it was relaxed.... Of course that was before finding any hair board - BUT - I don't ever want to see that hair again. Hey - I never was a salon diva and never had money for it anyway - really..... Once I figured it out -what worked for me - I never looked back.

There had to be a personal reson you did what you did - the BC I mean.

I think that these decisions are personal and we do have deeper reasons... So - maybe - you can tap into that.

Good luck!

have you tried this natural relaxer : coconut and lime?I haven't tried it myself but I reading some good reviews and if it works out for you it can be an alternate to texlaxing.. just a thought..

I had one done and they didn't rollerset it. But I left in tears because they blew dry my whole head. It was awful! When I was relaxed, my stylist (or I) never used heat on my hair, unless I was under the dryer letting my rollerset dry. So when she pulled out a blowdryer, which we NEVER used, it was terrible! Anyway, I will contact my stylist and see if she will blow it out for me.

Until then, I will refer to these threads...
Straight Hair Natural's Support Guide
Naturals who straighten: What tips do you have?
How Do Naturals Keep Their Hair Straight?
Natural Hair and Pressing
Wow, those are awesome threads!!

Girl you just need to learn how to work with your hair, you can get your hair straightened without it being damaged by heat. My sister is natural and so am (new) When she wants her hair is swangin better than most relaxers I see, and when she wants to do a wash and go, she does it... the products and the technique make the difference. I know I won't let just anyone put heat in my hair...I have to have proof that they know what they are doing.

It's not worth going backwards IMHO

I do roller sets on my natural hair. It turns out pretty nice. I would alternate on the styles. I have been natural for 3 years. I am trying to go the long haul. I have been sporting straighter styles.

Oh my goodness, you hit it right there. I just knew that if I kept rollersetting and not doing anything too heat related, my hair would grow. But, I cut it all off b/c of heat and color damage. Looks like I did it again, too. At the time that I took my newest fotki pictures, I had never put heat on the colored parts of my hair. Looking at the pics, my hair is dry and SERIOUSLY needs a trim. I went to my salon today and she was trying to get me to relax. I have so many fond memories of the days with the gorgeous styles. I might have been at ear length for awhile, but damn my hair looked good!

I am positive that I won't relax, but I seriously wonder about texlaxing. I am so scared that it will be too straight, and I really do want to keep this thickness. I also don't want to worry about touch-ups. But, I would love to keep this thickness! To be honest, that's the best thing about being natural for my hair. I don't have any extra length, and I can't really style with ease. I did blowdry and flat iron my hair, just the front, and I was VERY happy about how straight it got!!!! :yep: But, I need to dye my hair all black again, and definitely need a trim. Until all that happens, I won't be wearing my hair straightened. *Off to read some threads on texlaxing...

I know what you mean. I have pics of my relaxed hair (it was never bone straight though) and it was sooooooooo pretty. LOL. I think when you have really really thick natural hair, you can still have pretty thick relaxed hair, which keeps it from looking sickly. I never went to a salon either. If I'd had major problems with it, it would definitely make the decision to go natural easier, but I figure, with my kinks I can go fro, I can go straight. With relaxed hair, once it's straight it's straight. I say find someone who's good with a blow dryer, and split your time 50/50. You should experiment with more natural styles too. Í really want to try twists, flat twists, cornrows, and puffs.

Girl go buy a wig to wear for those 2 or so hours at church and call it a day. Do not put those chemicals in your hair if it is something you are not TOTALLY SURE about!
This is a great tip! Sensational has some great "Lace" front wigs that are inexpensive and easy! Take it off when you get home, carry on!

Grrrrr...I blew dry and flat ironed today, it took me a good while. My hair looks a poofy mess. It's really thick and all, but I definitely can't walk out of the house looking like this. I'm going to have to browse for some more straightening tips...

Grrrrr...I blew dry and flat ironed today, it took me a good while. My hair looks a poofy mess. It's really thick and all, but I definitely can't walk out of the house looking like this. I'm going to have to browse for some more straightening tips...

Be careful with the straightening--don't want to get more heat damage.

Hey pretty lady! I just saw your post and I did update my fotki album.

And I'm sorry your hair did not turn out to your liking! But don't give up. Now matter whether we are natural, semi-relaxed or relaxed bone straight there will be issues with our hair. So just keep experimenting.:yep:

You should rollerset and then flat-iron. It helps alot with the poofing. Or put a rinse on it to seal the cuticle.

Do you have a blowdryer with a comb on it? Also do you do a deep conditioner before blowdrying? When I went to the Dominican Salon this weekend, she blowdried my roots by using a round brush. She got it really straight.

It's when I go to Church that makes it hard!!! It was like this even when I was relaxed. I see all these gorgeous styles and I want my hair DONE. Not twists, not twist outs, not fuzzy WGO's, but a sleek, sexy wrap or a hot up-do. And y'all have NO IDEA how much I miss my at home weekly roller sets and rods! :sad: I love the thickness of my hair and all as a natural, and I have figured out alot.

I am seriously considering going back to my old ways! I don't want to press my hair or do any of that to receive "relaxed" results, and I do NOT want to run from rain, sleet, snow or humidity.

HELP!!!!!
I totally get where you're coming from. I've been natural for a while now and I don't have a style. Twists and braids are way too time consuming, I cant spend all day in the mirror:nono: But on the other end of the spectrum, my hair hates being straight and it is so humid where I live (and I sweat like a dude:blush:)so no pressing combs or flat irons for me. I don't know what to turn to:sad:

I was natural for years and I finally texlaxed. I love it because it gives me an incredibly easy wash and go and I can get my hair straight with rollers.

Yeah, I am closer to these thoughts day after day. I bought two boxes of relaxer the other day so I could texlax! :ohwell: I have no clue why, because I wouldn't want to put chemicals on my own hair. I am just not getting the results that I want. I won't give in so quickly, I'll still try some other options. I don't regret ANY of my natural journey, it's been SO enlightening!!! But...we will see. It's not over yet...and I haven't made any serious decisions yet!

I was natural for years and I finally texlaxed. I love it because it gives me an incredibly easy wash and go and I can get my hair straight with rollers.

I will think very carefully before making the decision to relax.
Either way just do what is best for you.

ok honestly i was once walkin in ur shoes... but my revelation wasnt at church it was walkin the campus of my college. everybody was rocking the cute wraps, curls, waves.... and I had tracks to try to get the look becasue I was natural. See I first went natural becuz I dyed my hair (ORANGE...ssshhhhhsh) and it broke my hair off something serious. So I started doing braids and before I realized it I had cut off all my orange relaxed hair and had my natural black hair. Then after a while it just started becoming a hastle and I think the main reason is becuz I went natural by accident. I just wanted my orange to grow out and since I never wore my hair out I never relaxed it. Finally when I started wearing it out (like 3 months) I realized keeping up with natural hair is a task for me. So I relaxed my hair August 2007 and I am happy about my decision. The natural curls do call sometimes... but now I never have to second guess myself because I am satisfied and know so much from this site. If I ever need anything I know I got my hair sisters.... HTH

I will be updating my fotki later today (around 1pm maybe) with my New relaxed hair pix. Just relaxed it yesterday night.....

I am at the salon right now, getting color, a trim and a press. I told her I want her to do my hair like she did when I was relaxed! I'll be posting pics later tonight. Wish me luck...

I'm a former natural that jumped to the other side and I have to say that I regret it. I missed having my hair "done" too and when it was finally "done" again I loved it for a day or two. After that :ohwell: I wish I would have just pressed or flat ironed my hair but that's a lot of work too with my texture. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

OKAY....So I got my trim, color and cut. It's a style that I have had before. I asked for bangs, and as much length as possible. I really needed the color evened out, because if you can recall, the color was making my hair a bit...:perplexed. So, she evened it all out, she pressed it, flat ironed it....and I FREAKIN LOVE it. It looks thicker than it used to, it appears VERY healthy!!! She did cut off a bit of it, but it really needed to go. My ends were disgusting!!! We'll see the damage (if any) when I wash again. I hope I did enough prep with using Aveda Damage Remedy and the start of using Redken Extreme Products. Who knows. I am going to have so much fun with this new cut, and I will probably be going back to her once a month, if not every two weeks. I was so happy to be back there getting it done! Hopefully I will be able to maintain it! I'm about to roll the top and wrap the rest like I used to do. So Happy! :drunk:

Sorry to ramble! Pictures in my Fotki!!!!!

Last edited:
Don't do It. I recently relaxed my hair in January and I am now transitioning again. I f you look at my fotki you can see I had a lot of hair for one year of growth. My hair has been nothing but a disappointment since relaxing. Far more maintenance now then when IO was natural. Plus I don;t have many options either is straight or curled. No twists no puffs no getting a blow out one week and being curly th enext. Now after research I realize I should have gotten a kiddy texturizer instead of a relaxer.:wallbash:

Back