Naturals - how many years did you relax your hair?

How many years did you relax your hair before doing the BC?

• 1-5 years

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • 5-10 years

Votes: 48 18.1%
  • 10-15 years

Votes: 72 27.2%
  • 15+ years... too darn long to count!

Votes: 102 38.5%
  • I'm still relaxed but wanted to join your poll anyway LOL

Votes: 12 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was 13 years old(1990) when I first got a relaxer,actually I self relaxed with PCJ. It turned out fine no breaking,no shedding.Of course I did it while my mother was at work.My momma didn't believe in putting chemicals in my hair while I was young. (She was relaxed then and still is)

my last relaxer was in late 2007

I didn't get my first relaxer until I went away to college, I had it for 2yrs didn't know what the heck I was doing, and went back to natural.

WELL first I want to say...

I was relaxed for about 15 or more yrs, I don't remember the first day I got mine. But I stopped relaxing maybe Dec 2007, but was still doing awful things to my hair. Did my BC July 2008 and cut off the relaxer and heat and color damaged hair.

I was natural for about 1 yr 5 months, then just recently relaxed (feb 17) and now I'm transitioning BACK to natural. I realized that BIG hair is ME. And it feels SO GOOD to feel my new growth while washing my hair. I am happy that I decided to relax 1 more time, because it really opened my eyes to so much about me and who I am (different story for a different day lol)

I remember exactly -- 12/22/92 - 10/11/2009, so just under 17 years. Can't believe it was that long!

I don't have an exact number, but I picked the 5-10 years option. I got my first relaxer at age 7, but I didn't keep it up and it broke off so bad I went back natural. From 13-18, I had a standing salon appointment. I flipped and flopped between being relaxed and stretch-sitioning for about 18 months. I stopped relaxing in 2006 at 20 and did my BC 3 years ago when I was 21.

I checked 10 years, but I wanted to point out that I'm including the time period where my mom relaxed my hair as a child.

I had one when I was 18. I had stopped combing it and was stressed out, so I went to a salon, they picked out my giant 'dread' and relaxed it. My mom and I figured it would be easier to take care of for a while. I never got another one.

I asked my mom and she said after my hair started to become "too much to handle" in the 1st grade, she just HAD to put in a relaxer at age 7. I'm sure 26 now and started my transition. Almost 20 years is a LONG time!

can I just get away with saying 'too long'???
Im not certain but I believe I was relaxed around 11yrs old (??)

Back