Naturals: How do you wear your hair mostly?

Naturals: How do you wear your hair regularly???

• Total voters
I voted my hair changes all the time. Puff, fro, twists, twistout/braidouts, straightened, wash n go...it just depends on how I'm feeling.

Originally Posted by momi
straight 100% of the time ...

<runs out of thread >>>
Originally posted by LiberianGirl
Runs out of thread right behind you:look:

Why are you ladies running...? I wear mine straight 80% of the time. And I'm not running out of thread, I all ready did my cardio today!:grin:

Currently I wear wash-n-gos alot since I chopped my hair back off in May. Before that I was APL and wore alot of twists, pony tails, etc. I suspect that I'll be doing that alot again soon since my hair is growing out again, Insha'Allah (God-willing).

The denman makes my curls really POP on the ends, but for some reason my roots don't curl. So, as a result, my hair looks a mess.

This has been my experience when I tried using the denman to get a curly look. It didn't work for me :nono:.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

To answer your question. I did my second big chop in May 2007. During my first year natural I wore my hair in wash and go styles and kinky twists. However, I've been wearing cornrows under wigs since July/August 2007.

Last edited:
I wear it under a wig... :nono: I know I know, I just don't know how to style it yet, all I can do is the pony puff, and detangling that is a nightmare and it always messes up, I need to experiment and find for styling options.

Why are you ladies running...? I wear mine straight 80% of the time. And I'm not running out of thread, I all ready did my cardio today!:grin:

pinkskates - how do you prevent your hair from reverting while doing cardio? I know it's bad but this is one of the main reasons I don't exercise (ducking head in shame). TIA

i wear my hair like this but a little different (a ponytail then clipped up) i just do different parts and things in the front to dress it up plus i wear makeup to replace my weave =D lol
clip-vi.jpg

I've only been natural for about a week and a half, so I've only done wash-n-gos and my little sad ponytail. I recently learned how to do a puff the correct way so that it's full, soooo I've been rockin' that for a couple of days.

Although a puff is my hairstyle of choice 85% of the time, as my hair gets longer it is a tangled mess. Sleeping on it and all. I just don't have the patience to be putting braids in it at night. I just got a fresh trim from a professional stylist and I'm wearing it straight. Today marks one week. My hair is itching, so I'll probably wash and condition over the weekend and twist it up. No more heat for the rest of the year. Well until my birthday in December.

I co-wash/rinse daily in the shower and I wear a puff EVERYDAY. Sometimes it's higher on my head, sometimes it's pulled back, but it's always a puff.

I might straighten it for a wedding that I'm attending next month...we'll see.

i wear my hair like this but a little different (a ponytail then clipped up) i just do different parts and things in the front to dress it up plus i wear makeup to replace my weave =D lol
clip-vi.jpg

NappFrizz, is that a twist and clip, or a tucked-under braid? Very tidy...pretty. :love:

I just went through this ENTIRE thread.

I'm really trying to look for non-straight styles to wear my hair. I no longer want to rely on heat as a way to avoid learning to style my natural hair.

So far I have had my hair in twists for a few days and I love it :grin:

This is a great thread...I feel your pain, I am wearing lace fronts with my hair braided. I can workout, rinse and go...I'm not really looking forward to having to deal with my hair as it get longer to be honest... This is the easy stage for me and I know it..hopefully there will some good suggestions here.

ETA: I wash, DC and braid my hair on the weekends and with 4" of hair it takes me 1.5 hours to braid, not very neatly but nice and secure. I can imagine if I were trying to twist an nice style and pay attention to my parts it would take me twice as long or longer. I'm leaning towards wearing it straight most of the time myself. I know I can get it dry and flat iron it quicker than I can do anything else.... It's a time issue for me, it will always be difficult for me to find 3-4 hour windows of time to do my hair...and workout 5 days per week.

Last edited:
I'll wear a Wash n Go for 2-3 weeks and then straighten and then I'll wear it straight for about the same time before starting the cycle over again. I've been thinking lately getting my hair cornrowed just to change it up some.

I have a routine that I found myself kinda stuck in:

Week 1: Bun
Week 2: Twistout
Week 3: Bun
Week 4: Twistout - you get the idea....

And about week 6 - I straighten it so I can really see my ends clearly and trim any splits. Before when my hair was a little shorter, it would go bun, twists, twistout, straight. But I was straigtening too much and now the twists don't look the same so I don't usually wear them - I just wear twist outs.

Braid my hair in six big braids with moisturiser and oil sealant. Unravel in the morning and fluff out my hair. Can't do wash and go, my hair is too dry textured for that style unless I were to use tons of product. Don't like twists very much either too drying in my hair. My braidouts work for me.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Braid my hair in six big braids with moisturiser and oil sealant. Unravel in the morning and fluff out my hair. Can't do wash and go, my hair is too dry textured for that style unless I were to use tons of product. Don't like twists very much either too drying in my hair. My braidouts work for me.

Best,
Almond Eyes
When I get some good length, I belive this style will work for me. After I unravel my braids even after a week, I love the waves it leaves in my hair, and me ends usually have a barrel nice curl. I can see the potential of this being an easy and cute style. Thanks for sharing! :up:

After reading some threads on rollersetting, I am very intrested in trying that as a styling option too as soon as I am off my no heat, hide my hair until December challenge! :up: There is one awesome ponytail roller set on here, and another recent curl-formers set that was nice!!! :up: I have had my healthiest head of hair when I was roller setting on a regular basis.

Although a puff is my hairstyle of choice 85% of the time, as my hair gets longer it is a tangled mess. Sleeping on it and all. I just don't have the patience to be putting braids in it at night. I just got a fresh trim from a professional stylist and I'm wearing it straight. Today marks one week. My hair is itching, so I'll probably wash and condition over the weekend and twist it up. No more heat for the rest of the year. Well until my birthday in December.

Wow, your twistout is killer.

Back