Naturals: How do you wear your hair mostly?

Naturals: How do you wear your hair regularly???

• Total voters
I wore natural twist/twistouts for 3m straight while I was doing my twisting for growth challenge. Well I need a break from the twisting and found that my hair loves being co-washed, so for the past week, I've been wearing a wash and go ponytail. Will probably do this until the weather get too cold outside.

I wear twists during the week and then a twist out on the weekends.

I wash on Sundays and twists. The process can take a long time if I am wathcing TV or doing other things in between.
I usually do AO GPB for like a 30 minutes to an hour while I am doing laundry and cleaning up. I wash and then deep condition for an hour (usually without heat) and I study. Sometimes I follow up with an a more moisturizing conditioner (AO Honeysuckle Rose) for 15-30 mintues...again while I review something like index cards (trying to memorize drug names for school LOL)
Then I wash it out and then twist my hair. My hair seems to dry EXTREMELY FAST! I have found that I like how my twists and twist-outs look if I use Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding to do my twists on wet/damp hair. Twisting can take anywhere from 3-4 hours...depending how fast I can style the front of my hair and if I am doing things in between.

I leave the style in with a clip in the back during the work week. And take it down Friday night if I go out or Saturday if I don't go anywhere on Friday night. In order to make it (the twist out) last I might use a spritz on my hair after I unravel the twists.
Sunday morning go to 8am service and then come home and wash my hair/clean/study/do laundry.

I guess to some the 3-4 hours of twisting is time consuming. But I don't think so. I don't have to touch my hair at all during the week. And then on the weekends I have a really nice hairstyle that only requires me taking out the twists (which takes about 15 minutes) and it always completes my club/lounge/party outfits....curls/crimped hair without the flat iron LOL

Last edited:
I picked other. I've been wearing my hair straight for the past few months.

Please do share your straightening regimen. :grin:

I wear twists during the week and then a twist out on the weekends.

I wash on Sundays and twists. The processes can take a long time if I am wathcing TV or doing other things in between.
I usually do AO GPB for like a 30 minutes to an hour while I am doing laundry and cleaning up. I wash and the deep condition for an hour (usually without heat) and I study. SOmetimes I follow up with an a more moisturizing conditioner (AO Honeysuckle Rose) for 15-30 mintues...again while I review some thing like index cards (trying to memorize drug names for school LOL)
Then I wash it out and then twist my hair. My hair seems to dry EXTREMELY FAST! I have found that I like how my twists and twist out look if I use Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding to do my twists on wet/damp hair. Twisting can take anywhere from 3-4 hours...depending how fast I can style the front of my hair and if I am doing things in between.

I leave the style in with a clip in the back during the work week. And take it down Friday night if I go out or Saturday if I don't go anywhere on Friday night. In order to make it last I might use a spritz on my hair.
Sunday morning go to 8am service and then come home and wash my hair/clean/study/do laundry.

I guess to some the 3-4 hours of twisting is time consuming. But I don't think so. I don't have to touch my hair at all during the week. Anf then on the weekends I have a really nice hairstyle that only requires me taking out the twists (which takes about 15 minutes) and it always completes my club/lounge/party outfits....curls/crimped hair without the flat iron LOL

In regards to the bolded: I used to spend about 2-3 hours every Sunday on washing and straightening my hair when I was relaxed. And I guess now, I'm just so used to NOT doing that, that I don't want to do that again. :lachen:I've thought about doing twists every week though, because I wonder if my hair is suffering with only being washed every 3 weeks. I am noticing that my hair is breaking in some areas. But I wasn't certain if that was just from the times I used heat and no protein. IDK. :sad:

I've been wearing my hair in a puff regularly, like the one in my siggy. It's the easiest style for me at the moment and only requires 5 mins in the morning.

I do mostly buns, french rolls, that sort of thing.

Occasionally I'll do a S&G, and less frequently, twists.

When my hair was shorter--donut bun, puff (real or pulled back w/scarf/headband) or S&Gos.

I do mostly buns, french rolls, that sort of thing.

Occasionally I'll do a S&G, and less frequently, twists.

When my hair was shorter--donut bun, puff (real or pulled back w/scarf/headband) or S&Gos.

Girl, you betta quit hiding those BEAUTIFUL coils!!!! :nono: :grin:

My hair is still super short so I'm still doing WnGs. I can't wait untill I can do something different.

Have you tried making the ponytail while your hair is wet?

My hair is still super short so I'm still doing WnGs. I can't wait untill I can do something different.

Have you tried making the ponytail while your hair is wet?

Yup, tried that. When my hair was a little shorter, I used to be able to put my hair in two ponytails (really close together in the back of my head), then put a fake bun over them. But now, I have to much hair to put the bun over it. And when I try just one ponytail, I always have parts of my hair that aren't long enough. :ohwell:

Last edited:
Puff puff puff puff puff usually, but right now I'm in micro extensions for a break
There is no such thing as a wash and go for me

I wear my hair in a wash and go for a couple of days and when it gets stale, I'll pull it into a puff for a couple more days. I detangle with my fingers when my hair is full of conditioner, and once in a while I'll use a comb

I've been wearing braids for the last few months.... right now I'm wearing it straight (pressed) and am planning to get a weave in a couple of weeks to try out a protective style.

ladies I need a routine soooo very bad... but the style I have been rocking since I washed out my press is a puff. My dh hates my puffs because they are huge. It seems the longer my hair gets the harder it is to maintain..:perplexed

i voted 'my hair changes all the time'... but mostly buns, different kinds though... and on different areas of my head. sometimes natural, sometimes straightened. Occasionally i'll switch it up with twists or flat twists and now i know how to do finger coils too :)

ladies I need a routine soooo very bad... but the style I have been rocking since I washed out my press is a puff. My dh hates my puffs because they are huge. It seems the longer my hair gets the harder it is to maintain..:perplexed

If your puffs are huge, how about doing a twist-out on them, or spritzing the puff so it shrinks, or doing a bun? I believe Mwedzi has directions for a bun on natural hair. How about putting the puff into many plaits and then wrapping them around each other the way Traycee does one of her buns so it looks like an intricate work of art?

I voted for puff, because I wear my hair in a ponytail every day... Boring!

FlowerHair, that's not boring at all. It's been a lifelong dream to wear my hair in a ponytail so when I can do it without pulling my eyebrows all the way up into my hairline, I'll probably follow your suit, day-in, day-out.

Afros are the easiest but that is because my hair is still short. But I have also worn it in comb twists and two strand twists. Mostly my front is styled in twists and my afro will be puffy in the back. I voted Afro since that is my usual style.

straight 100% of the time ...

<runs out of thread >>>

:lachen:Girl, don't run. Get back in here and tell me your regimen. :lachen:

See, my DH hates my hair natural...PERIOD. He can deal with it when it's pulled back into a puff. He says it's "TAMED" then. :nono: And his birthday is this weekend, that's why I wanted to straighten. But, it's soooooo TIME CONSUMING.

For now, I'm still rocking my twistout. :ohwell:

How about Curlformers, Ms Twana? My mom's hair is very short but we used Curlformers on her damp hair w/o heat and her looked like it does when she presses then curls with a curling iron or puts on rollers immediately after pressing when her hair is till warm from the heat of the press. It took less time and with less risk of damaging her hair. We used 6 packs of ten but probably could've done better w/ 8 as there was a section that we kinda had to "hide" since there weren't enough to cover her whole head. (Yes, they are expensive if you have short hair--but oh so worth it. IMO) I'm saving up to get some for myself!

How about Curlformers, Ms Twana? My mom's hair is very short but we used Curlformers on her damp hair w/o heat and her looked like it does when she presses then curls with a curling iron or puts on rollers immediately after pressing when her hair is till warm from the heat of the press. It took less time and with less risk of damaging her hair. We used 6 packs of ten but probably could've done better w/ 8 as there was a section that we kinda had to "hide" since there weren't enough to cover her whole head. (Yes, they are expensive if you have short hair--but oh so worth it. IMO) I'm saving up to get some for myself!

I never thought about that because I didn't think naturals were using them. I've seen some threads on them. Thanks!!

Off to do some research!!!!! :grin:

I never thought about that because I didn't think naturals were using them. I've seen some threads on them. Thanks!!

Off to do some research!!!!! :grin:

Yes indeed, folks have posted pics that looked awesome. My mom and I probably need more practice but I think we did OK for a first time. You can see the after and the before here.

I change my hair all the time. I guess it's mostly ponytails/puffs.

ETA: I don't wash N go unless it's wash day and I have to go somewhere. I always twist-out. I spritz my hair with whatever every night, twist or braid in 4 - 14 braids/twists. Then take it down in the morning. I either wear it down, pull it back, bun it, etc. My hair is always stretched. I an detangle with my fingers now that I don't wash n go anymore.

Last edited:
Back