Naturals, Fall Regimens?

When it becomes cold here in november,ima color my hair red & flat iron it once every 3 weeks until the weather becomes warm enough for me to wear it wet again.

It doesn't get really cold here but I usually will add more heavier oils in my products like Castor and put away the light ones until the spring or late winter months.

I'm considering half-wigs and Senegalese twists.... Last winter was my first one fully natural and it was BRUTAL!

Still cultivating length so I'm thinking that keeping it hidden/protected will help this....

Flat twists and wigs. I have a twa right now and since I will be in school I really don't want to be messing with my hair that much. When we have enough money saved I believe that I am going to get some kinky twists put in at a natural shop, so they know not to pull my edges so tight. I want to participate in the grown and glory for the winter months.

I'm planning on wearing more protective styles (braids, buns, twist, wigs, etc.) with cute hair bands, trading in coconut oil for castor or avocado oil, bagging and moisturizing more often.

Have you thought about your fall regimens? If so, please share!

Hi lady, this will be my regimen:
  • Protective styles (Crown and glory challenge :individuals with extensions, weave, twists)
  • Moisturizing/sealing hair every other day
  • Co washing once a week
  • Deep conditionning once a week
  • Moisturizing Poo & Reconstructor(affirm 5in1) every other week
  • Clarifying poo once every 5/6 weeks + Heavy protein treatment(edited)
  • Baggy my head sometimes
  • No trim challenge
  • MULTIVITAMINS
  • DRINK a lot of water
  • EAT healthy

Last edited:
My flatironed hair should last 2 weeks when it starts getting cold so my regimen will be:

dc, wash, condish every other week, airdry, flatiron then pincurl

I only flatiron once duing that time so my heat usage will be only twice a month. My pincurls only look good (to me) for one week, so at the end of the first week I'll apply more product (almond glaze and blended beauty styling butter) and re-pincurl.....at the end of the 2nd week I'll start all over again.

I plan on wearing pincurls as my protective stye. :up:

my hair's gonna dry out alot in the fall/winter - it was like this when i transitioned too so i may go back to heavier products that don't work now like oils, products with alot of silicones, shea butter and light waxes (like jamaician mango lime creme wax).

i'd like to flatiron every so often but i'm really worried about damaging my texture :nono: so i think i'll be doing more sets with perm rollers or flexi's and alot more twist/braid styles.

we shall see.

thanks for all the great suggestions/ideas!

I am going to really tighten up on the protective styles. I will be getting my hair braided. Have not chosen the style yet, maybe some box braids.

Wow, I'm surprised to see that most of us will be using braids/extensions/wigs for protective styles! I'll be doing a sew-in using a net to relieve the tension on my own hair. I will be flat ironing the leave out hair maybe once a week or once every 2 weeks. I'm going to baby the leave out hair. I'll be using my BT on the hair/scalp under the net and only weave my sew-in about 3 weeks at a time. In between then I'm going to do nightly oiling/daily cowashing and wear a UPA clip.

It's still warm down here in the fall and my school schedule is too hectic for me to worry about my hair daily. So I'll oil overnight, and in the mornings after I run, I'll throw on a conditioner and jump in the shower. I shampoo when necessary. I'm going to incorporate butters into my regimen as needed.

Thanks for sharing!!

Hi lady, this will be my regimen:
  • Protective styles (Crown and glory challenge :individuals with extensions, weave, twists)
  • Moisturizing/sealing hair every other day
  • Co washing once a week
  • Deep conditionning once a week
  • Moisturizing Poo & Reconstructor(affirm 5in1) every other week
  • Clarifying poo once every 5/6 weeks + Heavy protein treatment(edited)
  • Baggy my head sometimes
  • No trim challenge
  • MULTIVITAMINS
  • DRINK a lot of water
  • EAT healthy

I'm afraid of doing heavy protein as a natural. How does this work out for you?

I going to be doing alot more protective styles since right now it's at the fragile shoulderlength point when curly and can get caught on coats etc.

I'll probably be trying avocado butter, Elucence, and finishing up my other products.

Getting back into my nightly moisture routine

Getting a really good trim in August, and then just protecting it till december, and getting my next trim.:yep:

Oh and staying true to my BT.

Oooh great thread :up: This isn't set in stone yet, but I want to:

Wear twists (I usually get kinky, but I may try a different variety) for 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off until December

Use essential oil blends on my scalp

CW every 2-3 days

Daily scalp massages

Deep condition once weekly

Higher intake of fruits and vegetables

Drinking ONLY water or freshly made fruit and water drinks

Adding supplements for antioxidant effect and improving hair growth

Oooh great thread :up: This isn't set in stone yet, but I want to:

Wear twists (I usually get kinky, but I may try a different variety) for 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off until December

Use essential oil blends on my scalp

CW every 2-3 days

Daily scalp massages

Deep condition once weekly

Higher intake of fruits and vegetables

Drinking ONLY water or freshly made fruit and water drinks

Adding supplements for antioxidant effect and improving hair growth

I forgot about that! This is essential, especially in the drier months. My hair suffered last fall/winter because I my lack of water intake.

What kind of half wigs work well with natural hair? I'm 4a texture.

I tend to lean toward the curly half-weaves... and the way I put them in/angle them with a small part of my front left out usually works well.... Here are a couple of half-wigs....

RR Summer 07 Half Wig.JPG

April 29 Photo.jpg

I am thinking of wearing my hair flat ironed straight this fall (since it will be cooler and my hair won't revert as easily).

I am also considering wearing a wig (with bangs). But I am very nervous about this. I am worried it will look fake. I have a half wig that I enjoyed..may wear that as well.

Other than that- I may try castor oil since many ladies here rave about it.

my hair's gonna dry out alot in the fall/winter - it was like this when i transitioned too so i may go back to heavier products that don't work now like oils, products with alot of silicones, shea butter and light waxes (like jamaician mango lime creme wax).

i'd like to flatiron every so often but i'm really worried about damaging my texture :nono: so i think i'll be doing more sets with perm rollers or flexi's and alot more twist/braid styles.

we shall see.

thanks for all the great suggestions/ideas!

Your hair is beautiful LynnieB!!!! I have a 2in twa so I'm hoping around mid October I'll have enough hair to start two-strand twisting. I'll do that then rock a mini twist out. When I get bored, I'll braid it up for the winter. I did that when I was permed so we'll see if I can do it again natural. Although I doubt I stick with it. I have hand-in-fro disease something terrible!!! But regardless of what hair "style" I choose, I'll be moisterizing like crazy!!

I will be fully natural by then, and because I'm having the babies when winter starts, I will already be/about to be braided or twisted up so that I don't have to worry about doing anything other than washing and moisturizing my hair. I will probably stay in braids and do the crown and glory technique up until summer

I'm thinking I might slap in some yarn twists - they will allow me to get my hair wet almost daily without having to 'tighten' things up.

I'll also go back to using Whipped Pudding in my hair instead of the lighter hail conditioner I'm using now, and I'll lighten up on the amount of glycerin I use.

I haven't really got it 'set in stone' yet, as it's still hitting the high 90's here :lol, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

I tend to lean toward the curly half-weaves... and the way I put them in/angle them with a small part of my front left out usually works well.... Here are a couple of half-wigs....

View attachment 5167

View attachment 5169

Those looks great! I would have never thought about that, I guess I'll be adding this to my Fall regimen as well. What products are you using to achieve that smooth look on the leave out hair?

Those looks great! I would have never thought about that, I guess I'll be adding this to my Fall regimen as well. What products are you using to achieve that smooth look on the leave out hair?

Water, leave-in conditioner, and gel... tie the hair down until it's time to go/I get to my destination....

Leave-in conditioners: Elucence; Beauty Without Cruelty; Giovanni

Gel: Fantasia IC blue gel

Wow, summer just flew by. I really don't know what I'm going to do, but you ladies are giving me a lot of good ideas. I'm sure I'll have to kick the moisture up a few notches since winters can be very drying on natural hair. I see most people are going for the protective styles as well.

Last winter I protected like crazy and it worked but I think I may switch it up this year. I want to be able to keep up with my DC and protein schedule.

I try to co-wash 2-3 times a week. I wash (usually ACV or baking soda in conditioner) once a week. On wash day, I DC. I rotate the DC weekly. The rotation is 6 weeks and it just restarts. I use Elaste QP DPR-11, Lustrasilk ( moisture) Shea Butter and Mango with Cholesterol (light Protien), Aphogee (heavy protein) and Henna (protien, color, conditioning.)

Week 1 DPR
Week 2 Shea Butter and Mango
Week 3 Aphogee followed by DPR
Week 4 DPR
Week 5 Shea Butter and Mango
Week 6 Henna and DPR

I will probably rollerset 2 weeks out of the month and then wear medium to large twists 2 weeks out of the month.

I will put the twists in on wet hair after my wash day and use Qhemet heavy cream wear them until friday and release them for a twistout. Re-wash on Sunday.

I am not sure what I will use for the rollerset, but I love lottabody mixed with leave in. So that will probably be the solution.

I am thinking about braids but I don't want to miss a protein treatment. It has been instrumental in stopping my breakage. Even during detangling and we all know how that is with natural hair.

No major plans. Will wear my braids and wash once or twice a week, deep condition weekly and air dry.

That's all I do.

ETA: I do color every 2 months....

Other than going back to regular deep conditionings and using a heavier moisturizer, I don't plan on doing anything different with my hair routine during the fall.

Protein followed by moisture - week 1
Deep Moisturizer treatment(sealing ends)- week 2
Hot Oil Treatment- week 3

nightly- Oil scalp with MTG

Styles: Switch between Wiggin it(still debating), and wearing my hair straight(may cut bangs) and wear mostly up in a bun/(i got a swoosh) ponytail (ya'll)...Oh and the spanish style side part with side bun(natural hair)....

Back