Naturals, Fall Regimens?

last winter was my first being natural. so i learned quite a bit about what to do and what not to do and most recently- i've also learned quite a lot so here's what i'll be doing:

USING HEAVY OILS AND BUTTERS: Shea butter, Cocoa butter, Mango butter and Almond, Coconut, Castor, Olive (with cayenne), Avocado, Jojoba oil and butter in a container

MAINTAINING THE LEVEL OF WASHING: I'll be washing with castile and other natural-style soaps daily like I do now and being sure to load my hair with plenty of moisturizer and wrapping until it dries/leaving it out and letting it air dry

PROTECTIVE STYLING: bunning, braiding, 2-strand twists, and headwrapping regularly but alternating for a little variety in my styling options and, at times, baggies, and cornrows

GENERAL STYLING: i'll probably be combing less frequently but making sure when I do comb i'm more through. Probably every other or every 2 days would be the max.

TREATMENTS: i'll be doing protein treatments every week and a half and conditioning treatments 2 times a week just for safe measure. I'll be doing clarifying treatments also and hot oil treatments on my ends to make sure they are smooth and well-tended. i'll also be hennaeing and indigoing (yikes is that even a word? lol) to help with the conditioning and manageability of my hair.

TRIMMING; i'll be lightly dusting maybe once every 1.5 months until the end of the season (so twice during the season) in total.

i think my key idea is to keep my hair regimen as simple as possible and just building on the basics. i really want to step up my moisturizing, protective styling, and general styling ideas to retain length. I think what i've always done wrong is make the regimen too hard to actually follow. this time it'll be different!

Last edited:
I'm only changing my products. For summer, I am alternating between two Dominican lines for my shampoo/conditioning/leave-in treatments. For fall/winter, I am going to use the Kenra (moisturizing) line. I also plan to try a new leave-in conditioner after I use up the Giovanni Direct Leave-in. Incorporating monthly cassia treatments would also be a good idea. Everything else (butter/oils, style/baggying etc) is going to be the same....give or take a few new vitaminsn (not new but I took a break from them) being added to the routine.

Last edited:
I'll pretty much continue what I am doing now. I will probably have to up my moisture a bit, but other than that I don't think my regimen will change. I may probably do henna treatments more often, but thats about it unless I find out some new techniques from the ladies on the board.

I plan to do protective styling all fall/winter: Kinky twists, rollersets, buns, wigs. In between protective styles I will deep condition 2x a week and wear twistouts and rollersets. I will get a trim in August right before fall.

Hmmm. I hadn't really thought about it much until now. Off the top of my head, I'll definitely do more rollersets since I won't have to deal with the humidity, try to find a half wig that fits correctly (they're usually too large), and experiment with updos, ponytails and buns.

Moisture, moisture, moisture!!!
I'm really scared of winter, because the weather is so dry here in London. I might have another go at twists. Otherwise I'll just braid my hair again.

My regimen is staying almost the same. The only difference is I'm going to seal with a heavy pomade, such as Oyin Burnt Sugar instead of just Vatika oil.

Co wash everything like I do all year. add leave in conditioner and butter and twist up and put a clip on and go. I put it all in ponytail and put extra butter on the ends and wrap it up with a scarf and wear it like that the next day its pretty straight and laid down now. Thats what I am going to do to get through but Co washing is here to stay for me anyway.

Protective/Low Maintenance Styles as usual~ buns, french rolls, twists, fingercoils etc..I may try some natural butters as for as products go, but everything will reamin just about the same. :)

I'm going to start wearing more finger coils and twists and I might get my hair braided when I have the baby in Nov. I just ordered some Qhemet products since they are heavier and see how they work when I get them. I will wash my hair once a week since I will be wearing the twists. I don't plan on doing too much since I will be in the house most of the time with a scarf on my head. I might not cowash everyday because my hair is starting to take longer to dry since it is growing.

I will go back to my regular regimen which is wash every 2 weeks and do a roller set/wrap. I will try to dc with every wash when it gets cooler because I've really been slacking with that this summer.

I will also be bringing the heavy oils and butter(s) back and adding new ones like castor (JBCO),rpo,olive?,shea butter along with aloe. I will also be no pooing and baggying the ends.

I'll be doing pretty much the same thing I'm doing now. However, I'll be doing more moisturize dc's, using heavier oils and butters, and using a good leave in moisturizer more often.

I may purchase a maxiglide in October and start flat ironing my hair once a month. If I do, I'll add a protein treatment into my regimine.

Back