Naturals & Color

*closer*2*my*dreams*

Ladies, I'm having a dillema... I've been transitioning to natural for one year and I've been having great success!!! My hair is healthier, thicker, and longer... I've been wanting to jazz myself up for graduation and the summer months, so I've been pondering the idea of adding color (semi-permanent/rinse). Well I decided to give it a test run two weeks ago with some bright reds (I knew my hair would not come out the color that was on the bottle, so I opted for bright thinking I would get something...damn anything!!)... I used Clairol's beautiful collection brand http://www.clairolpro.com/products/demi_permanent/beautiful_collection
http://www.clairolpro.com/files/swatches/BC_Collection_Swatches.pdf
I used the cedar red brown & rosewood brown...I got absolutely nothing!!! My hair didn't even go to light brown.... zip zero nada!!!!

So two weeks later (which was last night) I tried again with darkest brown in the back and rosewood brown in the front...I even left the color in for 1 hour!!! I rinsed and applied she scent it's fortifying hair mask and fell asleep.... when I woke up i had absolutely nothing!!!!!

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

What am I doing wrong?! I'm using it on clean dry hair, I'm leaving it on for the right amount (well longer this second time). I'm rinsing with cool water and NOT using shampoo... should I just give up or try a different brand?

I really don't want anything permanent because I'm afraid I may hate it later, but I want something, anything...any suggestions? please help me!!!

I did the same thing but I can't remember the brand when I was newly natural. I just tried the semi color once and then I had to opt for perm color in order to see any difference on my hair. It worked and I loved it. You may have to do the same. My Fotki has the color change if you're interested. I went from deep black (natural color) to a orangey blond color. It went reddish over time and I'm cutting it out slowly but surely.

Hope someone has some different info for you!

Girl, I dunno, seems like you should have gotten something from at least the reds...

bumping for some of the more seasoned color vets to help you out...

If your hair is dark a rinse won't do much other than tint your hair and then it will only last until your next wash. In order for color to show there has to be some sort of developer. HTH.

I had wonderful success with color a couple of years ago. It has since grown out. My natural hair is a dark brown so I had to have it lifted to see any color.

If your hair is dark a rinse won't do much other than tint your hair and then it will only last until your next wash. In order for color to show there has to be some sort of developer. HTH.

I thought developer was for the permanent colors. I can use it with a rinse as well?

Ladies, I'm having a dillema... I've been transitioning to natural for one year and I've been having great success!!! My hair is healthier, thicker, and longer... I've been wanting to jazz myself up for graduation and the summer months, so I've been pondering the idea of adding color (semi-permanent/rinse). Well I decided to give it a test run two weeks ago with some bright reds (I knew my hair would not come out the color that was on the bottle, so I opted for bright thinking I would get something...damn anything!!)... I used Clairol's beautiful collection brand http://www.clairolpro.com/products/demi_permanent/beautiful_collection
http://www.clairolpro.com/files/swatches/BC_Collection_Swatches.pdf
I used the cedar red brown & rosewood brown...I got absolutely nothing!!! My hair didn't even go to light brown.... zip zero nada!!!!

So two weeks later (which was last night) I tried again with darkest brown in the back and rosewood brown in the front...I even left the color in for 1 hour!!! I rinsed and applied she scent it's fortifying hair mask and fell asleep.... when I woke up i had absolutely nothing!!!!!

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

What am I doing wrong?! I'm using it on clean dry hair, I'm leaving it on for the right amount (well longer this second time). I'm rinsing with cool water and NOT using shampoo... should I just give up or try a different brand?

I really don't want anything permanent because I'm afraid I may hate it later, but I want something, anything...any suggestions? please help me!!!

Me and you are in the same boat!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've tried L'oreal Black cherry, plum and some other colour...nada...zip...zero! I've actually given up lol Dont think my hair takes colour easily. I dont wanna go permanent, too damaging :nono:

But thanks for this thread, glad to see I'm not the only natural that has this lil predicament! :lachen:

Yup..the same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. It was a waste of $7 bucks because I bought two bottles. I can't see one hint of color.

I'm glad to see i'm not alone!!! I really thought I was tripping and it was "user error"... When i was relaxed my hair had all types of color, now it looks like my hair is paying me back for the years of abuse (payback is a ****!!!) well i guess i'll try one more time with the developer...any other brands safe to use? i wanted to try color showers, but the colors won't be here in time....

Back