Naturals and Dominican Salons

NIK

I have 4a natural hair and want to get my hair done at the Dominican Salon. One lady told me that she doesn't roller set natural hair and just blow dries it. So, my questions are for those who've gone to the Dominican Salons:

1) How does your hairdresser does it? Roller sets it and then blow dries it? Or just blow dries it?

2) What are the results? And how long do their last?

3) Would you recommend it? Or do you prefer the traditional press n' curl to get your hair straight?

NIK said:
I have 4a natural hair and want to get my hair done at the Dominican Salon. One lady told me that she doesn't roller set natural hair and just blow dries it. So, my questions are for those who've gone to the Dominican Salons:

1) How does your hairdresser does it? Roller sets it and then blow dries it? Or just blow dries it?

3) Would you recommend it? Or do you prefer the traditional press n' curl to get your hair straight?

i have seen them rollerset 3a's and relaxers but that's about it
they tend to just blowdry other naturals
i don't like the extreme heat and will not go( i went 4 times total)
it lasted about a week to a week and a half

i would recommend u learn to do rollersets urself like me:look:
or 4 straightening get a good flat iron
i love my maxiglide and it has gotten my hair even str8er than any blowout w/ less pulling

it's been said that blowdrying is more damaging over time b/c of the pulling on wet strands of hair (ur hair is more fragile when wet)
or i guess try them out and u'll decide for urself
there r a lot of ladies on this board who swear by them:ohwell:

My mom is natural and I take her occasionally to my salon. They always blow dry her hair, she prefers it this way. She doesn't go often, just when she wants her next rinse. Otherwise she washes at home. However if she wanted it rollerset I don't think they'd have a problem with it. I can't recall right now how they do other naturals. I'll have to pay more attention next time I go.

Don't do it. Unless you have silky, loosely curled hair they are going to complain. I went to the dominicans twice while I was transitioning. Everyone, including the stylist looked at me like I was crazy. Yes, they did get my hair straight, but only using "hell fire" from the blowdryer. I also had parts in my crown that broke off

NIK said:

Hi Nik! I see you are from NY. I live in Brooklyn and go to Sisters Unisex in BK.

Although i myself am relaxed, i have been going for 6 years and seen all types of textures walk thru that door. At Sisters Unisex, they DO roller set natural 4a hair..... and then once they take out the rollers, you are given the same options that a relaxed person is given (ie, roots only blown out, or full blow out). So you may wanna give Sisters Unisex a try, if you are looking for both a rollerset AND blowout.

Its located in downtown Brooklyn, on the corner of Willoughby and Lawrence St. You can take the R, Q, or B train to Dekalb Avenue and walk up to Willoughby..... or you can take the A, C, or E train to Jay Street and walk to Lawrence.

They have gotten so popular and busy that they opened up a second salon (on the same street, Lawrence). I would recommend going to the original, larger salon (closer to Willoughby) than to the second, smaller salon (closer to Fulton St). Both are called Sisters Unisex.

HTH

Last edited:
NIK said:

i am a 4a natural who goes to a dominican salon when i want my hair straight. at the salon that i go to they ask you if you want to roller set you hair or blowdry. i usually get mine roller set because it makes my ends come out smoother. then she blowdrys it. i let them wrap it and take it out later on that night or the next day. my hair comes out so nice it can last for a week or two. i didnt like getting a press n curl b/c the oils they used would way my hair down. if you want to get it roller set you should fine another salon that will do it for you. i hope i was helpfull and good luck:)

KiniKakes said:
Hi Nik! I see you are from NY. I live in Brooklyn and go to Sisters Unisex in BK.

Although i myself am relaxed, i have been going for 6 years and seen all types of textures walk thru that door. At Sisters Unisex, they DO roller set natural 4a hair..... and then once they take out the rollers, you are given the same options that a relaxed person is given (ie, roots only blown out, or full blow out). So you may wanna give Sisters Unisex a try, if you are looking for both a rollerset AND blowout.

Its located in downtown Brooklyn, on the corner of Willoughby and Lawrence St. You can take the R, Q, or B train to Dekalb Avenue and walk up to Willoughby..... or you can take the A, C, or E train to Jay Street and walk to Lawrence.

They have gotten so popular and busy that they opened up a second salon (on the same street, Lawrence). I would recommend going to the original, larger salon (closer to Willoughby) than to the second, smaller salon (closer to Fulton St). Both are called Sisters Unisex.

HTH

Thanks Kinikakes!...I'll have to check out that salon.

Thank you ladies for your replies...I guess I can get a roller set and blow out just the roots and still get good result. The lady at the salon claimed that my hair would be frizzy...I guess she just didn't know how to work with natural 4a hair.

Back