Naturalgurl needs natural advice...

naturalgurl

Anyone ever use a butter as a heat protectant? I'm off of my no heat diet and need a really good heat protectant. I'm sooo scurred to use a beauty supply product due to my hair's history with them. My hair sheds with most of those and I'm not willing to put my hair at risk to try anymore. If ORS made my hair shed then YOU KNOW I don't want to use another beloved BSS product :nono:. I was thinking about shea butter, but then there are so many other butters like advocado butter and so on. The thing is, will this protect or sear my hair? Protectants coat hair right? So would butter work? Has anyone tried using a butter as a protectant? I know oils will just heat up and fry, but butters are thicker. I'm rambling now...But I have this theory. If I do a henna or cassia treatment, wait a few days then use a butter to flat iron, my hair should be very protected from the heat. Is that a crazy way to think or could this be possible? HELP!!!! Sorry if this has been discussed...

Hey Naturalgurl!!! If you want to stick with natural products, I'd do a shea butter and coconut oil combination. Shea for the moisture and coconut oil for some protection. Not too much coconut oil though.

I saw the combo done on Rusticbeauty's youtube video. So far she doesn't seem to have heat damage. She might've added a couple other things ... not sure.

She didn't state that coconut oil was for protection. I'm just guessing that if it's great for preventing hair protein loss, it may help protect the hair a bit during heat usage.

Last edited:
Thanks loolalooooooooooh! I think I'll have to do a trial and error on this one and just try it. I'll share my results...

Oils and butters are not heat protectants....:imo:

Reminds me of putting oil/butter in a pan and turning the heat up.

As long as you don't crank the heat up too high, it couldn't hurt, but I'm certain they won't act as heat protectants.

Hope you find something.

good question.

I have no answer for you. I'd be scared to use a butter or an oil. I'd rather just use nothing and iron on low heat. But I don't use heat anyway so I guess it doesn't matter LOL.

I'd love to see your results when you do it.

Hmmmmm, looks like I need to go back in the lab.:ohwell: What coats hair naturally but doesn't kill it or need harsh detergents to wash away??? I think I'll keep the heat really low and add the butter afterwards...I'm so confused! :drunk:Maybe I should stick to no heat...

Hmmmmm, looks like I need to go back in the lab.:ohwell: What coats hair naturally but doesn't kill it or need harsh detergents to wash away??? I think I'll keep the heat really low and add the butter afterwards...I'm so confused! :drunk:Maybe I should stick to no heat...

See that's why I stay away from heat. LOL.

If you can find natural cones, that may be your best best. Chemical heat protectants contain dimethicones and other cones to protect the hair.

How about just doing an airdried rollerset or banding to straighten the hair?

See that's why I stay away from heat. LOL.

If you can find natural cones, that may be your best best. Chemical heat protectants contain dimethicones and other cones to protect the hair.

How about just doing an airdried rollerset or banding to straighten the hair?

Yeah, I think I'll try banding. I was eyeballing some curl formers. The little research I just did says that heat protectants are mostly silicone. Gee whiz, I remember when I didn't care what I did to my hair, now I'm all "will this kill my hair???" :blush:.

I know that henna coats the hair. That is why it makes hair heavier, relaxes curls, and thickens hair. But I don't know if this qualifies it as a heat protectant.

Off to do some research...

When I use heat- extremely rare- once a year if that. I use beyond the zone- turn up the heat (flat iron protection) and it works well for me. We have a similar hair type so It may work for you as well. I got it at Sally's.

If you decide to use oils and butters, I suggest adding a little bit of grapeseed oil to the mix. I say this because it can withstand high temperatures without burning. Hope that helps girlie!

When I use heat- extremely rare- once a year if that. I use beyond the zone- turn up the heat (flat iron protection) and it works well for me. We have a similar hair type so It may work for you as well. I got it at Sally's.
I used this as well when I straightened my hair last year with a chi and this is how it turned out...I really didnt use any products until a few days later. This may sound dumb but the less product you use in your hair the less chance you have of burning it. As the days go on your hair will get greasier and more oily, because of the natural poils in your hair and then the product that you used to flat iron. So, if I wanted light swingy results I wouldnt use butters or oils. The second pic in the green shirt was 1.5 weeks later after using oil sheen only. It was getting greasy limp and was time to wash. It would have been way worse if I used the butters originally rather than the beyone the zone. Everyones hair is different but thats how mine would have reacted.:yep:

Attachments

• halfup.jpg
    halfup.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Picture 046.jpg
    Picture 046.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 26
I used this as well when I straightened my hair last year with a chi and this is how it turned out...I really didnt use any products until a few days later. This may sound dumb but the less product you use in your hair the less chance you have of burning it. As the days go on your hair will get greasier and more oily, because of the natural poils in your hair and then the product that you used to flat iron. So, if I wanted light swingy results I wouldnt use butters or oils. The second pic in the green shirt was 1.5 weeks later after using oil sheen only. It was getting greasy limp and was time to wash. It would have been way worse if I used the butters originally rather than the beyone the zone. Everyones hair is different but thats how mine would have reacted.:yep:

Hmmmm, you have a point. This is why I posed this question here. I have no clue what to do. That makes sense though, less is more in this area. A butter may be too heavy. I think I thought butter because it's so thick and naturally thought would protect. But it might react like dairy butter and fry the hell out of my hair. I might have to take a chance and use a BSS product...I'm just sooo scared. To have waited all of this time to achieve healthy hair and then screw it up all in the name of seeing what it looks like straight...*SIGH*

Hmmmm, you have a point. This is why I posed this question here. I have no clue what to do. That makes sense though, less is more in this area. A butter may be too heavy. I think I thought butter because it's so thick and naturally thought would protect. But it might react like dairy butter and fry the hell out of my hair. I might have to take a chance and use a BSS product...I'm just sooo scared. To have waited all of this time to achieve healthy hair and then screw it up all in the name of seeing what it looks like straight...*SIGH*
i dont think youll ruin your hair if you do it at a proper temperature and use really samll sections. I got my hair that sleek on medium heat, and it only gets straighter as the days go on if you do what it takes to keep water or steam from contacting it:yep: I had a lot of vlume on day 1 and without adding heat or anything else excpet oil sheen it looked like I had a hard press by day 7. it was really flat and too straight for my liking actually

i dont think youll ruin your hair if you do it at a proper temperature and use really samll sections. I got my hair that sleek on medium heat, and it only gets straighter as the days go on if you do what it takes to keep water or steam from contacting it:yep: I had a lot of vlume on day 1 and without adding heat or anything else excpet oil sheen it looked like I had a hard press by day 7. it was really flat and too straight for my liking actually

And you're natural right??? Oh yeah, I see natural 3c. Ok girl, I'll give it a whirl. I need to step out there and try! Sorry CG, I totally forgot about my notifications and it does say I have one...gee whiz!
ETA~CG, you did say inbox as in my email....DOH! Ok, here I go to check!

Actually - I've heard of several people using coconut oil as a heat protectant. It works b/c it has a higher smoke point than other oils - the smoke point being when the oil heats to the point of burning/evaporating. B/C it can absorb the heat it protects the hair from searing. But you don't need a ton of it - just a bit per section.

And you're natural right??? Oh yeah, I see natural 3c. Ok girl, I'll give it a whirl. I need to step out there and try! Sorry CG, I totally forgot about my notifications and it does say I have one...gee whiz!
ETA~CG, you did say inbox as in my email....DOH! Ok, here I go to check!

Excellent, look forward to your reply.:grin:

i've heard good things about Mizani thermasmooth there was a thread about it the ladys hair looked great

i also heard people doing sheabutter presses and loved it

Naturalgurl,

Please check your inbox. I sent you an email a week ago. Important and germaine to this thread. Thanks.

CenteredGirl- Now why is it that i see you so much more over here than at BHM. I meant to list you as one of my hair idols too. Your hair is always on point.

Take care and good seeing you again.

hi,
personally i will check oils with high smoke points, the one tha comes to my head is avocado oil, rice bran oil, grapeseed oil.
Refined oils usually have higher smoke points than unrefined generally.
google it, you will find list of oils.

CenteredGirl- Now why is it that i see you so much more over here than at BHM. I meant to list you as one of my hair idols too. Your hair is always on point.

Take care and good seeing you again.

:look:Oooh, I am so busted! Truth be told, I cannot spend my whole life on these hair boards, so I focus one one. I check in from time to time.

CaramelDiva, you are so sweet. Made my day!:grin:

I tried shea butter and it singed my hair, left little crispy balls on it but I think it depends on the shea because i flat ironed my bangs with some in the other day and it did not happen this time.

So what did we end of using? Quick save me from starting a whole new thread on this topic. I have the same question. I truly believe serums are the way to go based on the chemical reasoning behind it. Sabino is great but a bit sicky/tacky feeling. I wish it felt more like argan oil- smooth and silky.

Back