Natural thinking about texturizing...HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nappykat2000

I'm a natural looking for a quicker styling option than twists since I have a little baby at home now.:) My hair is armpit length when stretched and detangling and doing my twists takes to much time. Does anyone here texturize with conditioner added to the relaxer? If so, how much conditioner do you add? Thanks in advance.

I also was thinking about texturizing so a quick styling option. You just have to think of what is your hair end goal first. From there you can determine if you want to remain natural or texturize.

maybe texlax instead? good luck. But if you're twisting and want convenience due to the child, wouldn't twisting byweekly be better than having to do your hair daily?

How does twisting your natural hair take up too much of your time? :confused: It's not like you have to twist your hair everyday. If you don't want to twist your hair, you can always do a wash n go style. And if your hair is long enough, you can style it in a bun or ponytail/ponypuff or something.
And how is a texturizer going to save you time with small children? You will still have to style your hair regardless. Twists aren't the only style you can do on natural hair, the options are endless. Hope that helps!

My natural hair is thick and curly. It took alot of gel and water to do my wash n go. I only lightly texturize. I rinse out the relaxer immediately after applying. In doing this I only need a small amount of product and it slightly lessens my shrinkage.

I agree with Pooh.

If you want to texturize your hair then do it. There's no need to use your kids as an excuse. Your hair is going to take time regardless of whether its natural, texturized or relaxed.

Perhaps you should look for hairstyles that will last longer than a week or two.

nappykat2000 said:
Wow. :cool: Okay.

Chile don't take that tone personal;) Folk crazy up in these parts:lachen:. You can use any damn reason/excuse you want. I don't know what the helz they are talkin bout:lachen:

Now back to your question. What wuz it again? Ok yeah to texturize or not to texturize. I texturized a few months back but I didn't add any conditioner. I used Motion's which laughs at my napps so I'm good and happy. I can wear a regular ponytail and hats again since alot of bulk is gone. Good luck on whatever you choose. You should post b4 and after pics.

Last edited:
firecracker said:
Chile don't take that tone personal;) Folk crazy up in these parts:lachen:. You can use any damn reason/excuse you want. I don't know what the helz they are talkin bout:lachen:

Now back to your question. What wuz it again? Ok yeah to texturize or not to texturize. I texturized a few months back but I didn't had any conditioner. I used Motion's which laughs at my napps so I'm good and happy. I can wear a regular ponytail and hats again since alot of bulk is gone. Good luck on whatever you choose. You should post b4 and after pics.
Well firecracker, look at what she said before asking the two questions. Nappykat said she wanted a quicker styling option than twists since she has a baby now. How is texturizing a quicker styling option? And what does having a baby have to do with her hair choice? And twists aren't the only natural hair style, so you know what we're talking about. Now I didn't say she should go texturize her hair like Aalize did, but I was trying to show her that there are quicker styling options with natural hair besides twists if she doesn't want to redo them every week or so, you know what I mean? Even though I didn't address her question, I just respond according to what she posted because different parts of posts affect people who read it differently and the fact that I really do not understand how texturizing is a quicker styling option. She still has to style it whether it be a wash n go, ponytail, bun, rollerset or whatever. The thing is, you can do all those quicker styles with natural hair too.

Pooh you don't have children so you really wouldn't know what or how time consuming that duty is now would you? :lachen: Can you pleeeeassse try to be nice this Sunday?:lachen: Just answer the darn girls question cuz ya know I don't wear twist no mo! LOL I am waiting for a lil more length plus I'm lazy *** helz. :lachen: So I cannot help noboby on a styling tip. I need help myself.

Last edited:
Poohbear said:
Well firecracker, look at what she said before asking the two questions. Nappykat said she wanted a quicker styling option than twists since she has a baby now. How is texturizing a quicker styling option? And what does having a baby have to do with her hair choice? And twists aren't the only natural hair style, so you know what we're talking about. Now I didn't say she should go texturize her hair like Aalize did, but I was trying to show her that there are quicker styling options with natural hair besides twists if she doesn't want to redo them every week or so, you know what I mean? Even though I didn't address her question, I just respond according to what she posted because different parts of posts affect people who read it differently and the fact that I really do not understand how texturizing is a quicker styling option. She still has to style it whether it be a wash n go, ponytail, bun, rollerset or whatever. The thing is, you can do all those quicker styles with natural hair too.

I gotcha on all the bolded and I do agree that styling hair period is time consuming no matter natural, texturized, texlaxed or relaxed. From my personal texturizing experience it only allowed my product to absorb better and density alleviation.

Now I got a question WTH is texlaxed? Cuz from where I'm standing/viewing Texlaxed looks like a conk aka David Ruffin permed in Dtexed avatar. :lachen:

Nobody is owed an explanation for why or what the OP wants to do with her hair. She didn't ask how to put in twists faster. This was the question.
Does anyone here texturize with conditioner added to the relaxer? If so, how much conditioner do you add? Thanks in advance.

If you are not answering the specific question asked, then you are not being helpful.

firecracker said:
Now I got a question WTH is texlaxed? Cuz from where I'm standing/viewing Texlaxed looks like a conk aka David Ruffin permed in Dtexed avatar. :lachen:

I 'think' people use the terms texturized/texlaxed interchangeably.

Firecracker, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, :grin: I didn't say anything to offend or harm anyone...I just really do not understand. And no, I do not have kids but I know several naturals who do have kids and their natural hair isn't a problem. How is texturized hair gonna be any different when it comes to kids? That's all I'm saying. She's gonna have to get a touchup every few months, that's maintenance and she would have to be away from her baby in order to texturize her hair. Yeah, I know it doesn't take long to texturize your hair but still... natural, texturized, and relaxed hair require time and styling.
JCoily said:
Nobody is owed an explanation for why or what the OP wants to do with her hair. She didn't ask how to put in twists faster. This was the question.

If you are not answering the specific question asked, then you are not being helpful.

Whatever JCoily. No one questioned why she wants to texturize. And who are you to say you are not being helpful if you're not answering the specific question asked? She said more than what she asked. You have to take the whole post into consideration. If she just asked that question soley by itself, I wouldn't have responded to this thread at all. But look what she said before she asked the question. Texturizing as a quicker styling option is a misconception. There are quicker styling options whether you are natural, texturized, or relaxed and you know it! And then to take it a step further and say since I have a baby now. It would have been different if she wanted to texturize because she was tired of the thickness or wanted a different look for her hair but she didn't say that.

What the hell is going on here? What was the original question- Is texturized hair easier to maintain? Well when I had a relaxer, the stylist only left it on for 10 minutes so it was kind of texturized. My hair was much easier to manipulate as far as wash and go buns and braidouts. But I really like my hair natural and I have cut down on the time and manipulation by only washing and braiding once a week and wearing a braidout all week. I hope this helps.

Poohbear said:
Firecracker, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, :grin: I didn't say anything to offend or harm anyone...I just really do not understand. And no, I do not have kids but I know several naturals who do have kids and their natural hair isn't a problem. How is texturized hair gonna be any different when it comes to kids? That's all I'm saying. She's gonna have to get a touchup every few months, that's maintenance and she would have to be away from her baby in order to texturize her hair. Yeah, I know it doesn't take long to texturize your hair but still... natural, texturized, and relaxed hair require time and styling.

I know sweetie. I wanted ya'll to answer her question cuz I surely couldn't. :lachen: I know you do different style just from your album. Ya'll got some skills on this board. Ya'll need to share them.

I wasn't trying to call ya out nor did I think you were mean just went a little off topic. Like my skank *** always do. :lachen:
My *** got some nerves talkin bout folk crazy in des parts cuz ya know I'm a fool boo-tay. :lachen: I totally agree with the bolded. Kids are time consuming and boy don't start a project cuz they will be calling your name er' minute once you start.

caligirl said:
What the hell is going on here? What was the original question- Is texturized hair easier to maintain? Well when I had a relaxer, the stylist only left it on for 10 minutes so it was kind of texturized. My hair was much easier to manipulate as far as wash and go buns and braidouts. But I really like my hair natural and I have cut down on the time and manipulation by only washing and braiding once a week and wearing a braidout all week. I hope this helps.

Girl ain't nothing going on! Just trying to get the OP some answers without drama tis all. Proceed with the wealth of information you styling chica's got cuz I got ADD = Angela Davis Disfunction:lachen:

firecracker said:
Girl ain't nothing going on! Just trying to get the OP some answers without drama tis all. Proceed with the wealth of information you styling chica's got cuz I got ADD = Angela Davis Disfunction:lachen:

Yeah caligirl, nothing's goin' on up in here! I just can't keep my thoughts to myself. And I love your strawset! :)
Firecracker, you're so silly! Thank for understanding! :D

Last edited:
firecracker said:

Yeah caligirl, nothing's goin' on up in here! I just can't keep my thoughts to myself. And I love your strawset! :)
Firecracker, you're so silly! Thank for understanding! :D

JCoily said:

Say it again.

Last edited:
nappykat2000 said:
I'm a natural looking for a quicker styling option than twists since I have a little baby at home now.:) My hair is armpit length when stretched and detangling and doing my twists takes to much time. Does anyone here texturize with conditioner added to the relaxer? If so, how much conditioner do you add? Thanks in advance.

I texturized about mid-August and I love it. I've spent years fully relaxed - which worked then but not now. And then I grew out the relaxer, went natural, and it didn't work either. For me texturizer is a very happy medium.

I did some research on previous threads here and culled out the method that worked incredibly well for me. One of those threads was the one Hopeful posted earlier.

So here's what I did:

- The night before, I applied a protien conditioner to my hair. I used AO GPO. I dried it with a combo of air and cool dryer.
- Day of : I mixed Elasta QP Mild Relaxer with Aphogee Essential Oil (maybe 2-3 tablespoons of oil to about 3/4 cup of the relaxer. My measurements are approx!)
- Sectioned my hair into 6 sections, based my scalp. Starting with the back/nape area I applied the relaxer/oil mix to the length. I had my sister calling out time.

I did a test run two days before on a small section of hair at my nape just so I could get the timing right. My goal was a defined and relaxed curl pattern NOT straight hair at all. For me, the process time was around 10 mins. Starting back to front I was able to let the relaxer process enough to get the curls. By the time I'd applied the relaxer to the front sections it was time start rinsing the back. And as I "rotated" forward it worked out so that the front got enough time to process properly before I rinsed.

The end result for me is that I can wear a decent "shake and go" for the first time. Previously, my natural hair was too frizzy for my comfort. Now I have actual curls and with a little moisture, product and a headband (sometimes) I'm happy walking out the door.

HTHs

Poohbear said:
Firecracker, I'm not trying to be mean or anything, :grin: I didn't say anything to offend or harm anyone...I just really do not understand. And no, I do not have kids but I know several naturals who do have kids and their natural hair isn't a problem.

Ok now you're showing yourself. Are you saying the life of one natural with kids is the same as another natural with kids? Because Natural Mom A has found a haircare method that works for her - factoring in all other elements (time, finances, workload, home assistance, spouse, family connection, etc etc etc ) that means that Natural Mom B must be deficient in some way because she's considering a different hair care option?

How is texturized hair gonna be any different when it comes to kids? That's all I'm saying.

It very well may not be different. On the other hand it could change her world. Who are we to know? She asked a question about other's experiences in texturizing her hair. Tossed in a passing mention about how she's a new mom and is looking for a change that may help her deal with her new life. She didn't ask for a validation of your take on her "excuse" for texturizing.

Texturizing as a quicker styling option is a misconception.

Not in my house. My texturized hair is much easier and faster to deal with than when I was natural.

There are quicker styling options whether you are natural, texturized, or relaxed and you know it! And then to take it a step further and say since I have a baby now. It would have been different if she wanted to texturize because she was tired of the thickness or wanted a different look for her hair but she didn't say that.

I'll probably regret this but HOW would it be different? From where I sit, her reasons are irrelevant. I could say truthfully that I texturized my hair for a variety of reasons including - it took too long, the results didn't last long enough, and I didn't enjoy it. Oh and honestly? My dog needed more attention. I was wasting time on my hair when I could've been caring for her.

Your hair is going to take time regardless of whether its natural, texturized or relaxed.

This is so very true. It's just a matter of where the bulk of your time ends up. When I was natual I had to redo my twists everyday. My natural hair is too soft to hold any form with out going flat or frizzing up. And while I have a full head of hair (a lot of hair) the individual strands are fine so any type of heavy moisture (think lots of water, conditioner or gel) just made it look thin. For me it was more time consuming being natural than it was being relaxed.

So I relaxed my hair.

Now it takes me 2 hours to do my hair (wash, condition , blow dry, flat iron) but after that, I just wrap it up at night take it down in the morning and go. I don't even have to touch it up or anything. That makes the two hours I spend every week worth it for a look that looks good day after day with minimal effort on my part.

Perhaps you should look for hairstyles that will last longer than a week or two.
My natural hair styles barely lasted 2 days much less 2 weeks. I can make my wrapped straight style last 2 weeks with minimal heat styling. That works perfectly for me. You gotta find what works for you and your life style

JCoily said:
Exactly! I didn't ask "why do you want to texturize your hair?" I asked "how is a texturizer going to save time with small children?" That is a valid question based on what she had posted! I'm annoyed by you too trying to make me sound like I'm contradicting myself. You know what I'm talking about and the reason why I asked. I was trying to get her to see that there are quicker styling options besides twists with natural hair. I guess you thought you were trying to help her with your link about texturizing, huh, just so you can live by what you said earlier about "if you're not answering her specific question, you're not helping". HAHA! How funny!

Laginappe said:
Ok now you're showing yourself. Are you saying the life of one natural with kids is the same as another natural with kids? Because Natural Mom A has found a haircare method that works for her - factoring in all other elements (time, finances, workload, home assistance, spouse, family connection, etc etc etc ) that means that Natural Mom B must be deficient in some way because she's considering a different hair care option?

It very well may not be different. On the other hand it could change her world. Who are we to know? She asked a question about other's experiences in texturizing her hair. Tossed in a passing mention about how she's a new mom and is looking for a change that may help her deal with her new life. She didn't ask for a validation of your take on her "excuse" for texturizing.

Not in my house. My texturized hair is much easier and faster to deal with than when I was natural.

I'll probably regret this but HOW would it be different? From where I sit, her reasons are irrelevant. I could say truthfully that I texturized my hair for a variety of reasons including - it took too long, the results didn't last long enough, and I didn't enjoy it. Oh and honestly? My dog needed more attention. I was wasting time on my hair when I could've been caring for her.
So I guess you thought you've said something, huh? :smirk:

The state of your hair has NOTHING AT ALL to do with having small children and anything that takes up your time.You know why? ANYONE can easily style your hair in a quick style whether natural, texutrized, or relaxed. That's the point I am trying to make. The extra stuff I have said just came out. When I asked those questions, I was making a point. It was more like a rhetorical question to think about. In reality, there isn't a valid answer or excuse for the question I asked. And no, I am not saying the life of one natural with kids is the same as another natural with kids .... Get it right, don't try to twist my words. I was just simply saying there are plenty of natural women with small children. Whether it's your job, children, activities you do throughout the day, etc. should not be an excuse to texturize your hair. It makes no sense because you can do quick styles with natural, texturized, and relaxed hair!!!! She don't have to do twists all the time. That's the point I am making. Stop making it like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back