natural/pressed hair (air drying)

Zgirl

Hello everyone
Iam a new user, and I have found some helpful hints in the past week on this site

I have a question to ask
I have natual hair (4a) and I like to press it, I find that it has grown so much better w/out a relaxer
I would like to start air drying my hair and I want to know if any of you have any ideas to air drying natural hair, so that it can be presses easier
Iam so used to the blow dryer but I find that it has been damaging to my hair.

any ideas would be helpful

thanks /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Welcome zgirl!! /images/graemlins/wave.gif

I see you've posted, good!! The naturals on the forum can give some good advice on their methods of air drying. I used to make large braids when I was natural. Welcome!! /images/graemlins/party2.gif

hey girl I am also new and I am just learning how to deal with my natural hair. You are right about the growth with out perming. My hair has grown quite fast since I've stop perming it. The sides have grown in, which were thin before. Can't stop touching it. /images/graemlins/love.gif

What I do when i dry my hair is put a little oil in in while its still wet, then make large braids. you can also pin the base to eliviate some of the shrinkage. That all I can think of at the moment. Maybe the other ladies here that have been natural for a longer period of time can give more help. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zgirl:

I have been trasitioning out a relaxer for almost a year now and I have often pressed my hair( I am currently wearing a sew-in weave with my hair in small cornrows underneath). If you air dry before pressing I suggest that you apply a leave in coditiner comb through and plait you hair in large plaits to air dry(I would wash my hair on Fri. night and press on Sat. when I did this). You could also blow dry if you use a protectant, New Image Damage Free Thermal Conditoning Styler is a good choice. I am also going to try KMS relaxing balm. Anyway, after you blow dry you could press with Dudley Creme press, WildGrowth Oil or Lustersilk Hair Culture Solution. I use all the products I have recommended and I love them.

HTH

auntybe

Hi Zgirl,

Maybe try rolling it. I may try that next time. I'm also trying to find ways to stop the blowdrying. And airdrying or plaiting it to dry is not an option for me cause my hair stays in whatever style it dries in so it will have waves in it which I have to re-wet or dampen to get out.

Welcome Zgirl and ChocolateCutee

Applying a lil Olive Oil to the hair whilst damp and combing thru keeps the hair moist and manageable once dry.

Welcome Zgirl. I'm natural and press (depending on my mood). I was going through what you're going through and what I find that works for me is to shampoo and do all that conditioner business on Friday. Apply all my leave in stuff and braid in 8 braids. Let dry through until Saturday night and press Sat night. Also a new thing I've been doing to help my press is applying a lanolin based creamy conditioner to my hair Saturday morning and rebraiding it. I don't apply much, like a dime to each braid and it really softens my hair and makes pressing much easier. For me another key was braiding in smaller sections. I tried the blowdrying too but felt I was ripping out my hair.

Q /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif

Back