Natural ladies 3c-4b, even z,Hep me please!

Eisani

...and I do mean HEP, not help!! I was this close to saying something that I knew would've crushed my 10 y/o dd's feelings so it took everything in me to bite my tongue. She had spring pictures on Monday so Sunday night decided she wanted a rollerset:ohwell:. Maybe I should mention now she's JPAPL natural w/a mixute of 3c-4b fine, dense, super soft, sandy blonde hair that always looks thirsty no matter what I use (w/the exception of shikakai oil) and has MAJOR shrinkage. I prepoo'd, washed, DC and rolle her up. After washing, because of all the shrinkage, she looks CL/SL and hates her hair. I kept spraying w/water as I combed and rolled. This is when I got frustrated and almost told her I HATED her hair. It's harsh I know, and I really don't hate it, it just gets so frustrating and she's a tenderhead. **Off rant**

My question is, to all of you natural ladies, in your experience, what have been the best products for you? While her hair is wet, she has the prettiest coils but as it dries lawdammercy. I decided I was going to try CWs for her, but what are some other tips you ladies can offer to help her hair stay moist and strong, but also retain her coils? TIA!!

I'd just make sure a product is evenly distributed throughout her hair. Maybe something heavier like a natural butter (hemp or avocado).

Have you tried the curlisto method? LadyKapnyc has a couple of GOOD youtube videos - she includes details on her products and errything.

:bighug: I almost never wear my hair out, but that's all I can suggest....

Shrinkage is a mutha, I know. I could wear a fro and then straighten it to hang BSL. Our hair is amazing like that.:grin: I use heavier oils and butters with plaits to stretch it out and still have coils. I pretty much don't wear it like that but I hope this helps.

Redken Heavy Detangling Cream is great for moisture, Shea Moisture's Shea Butter Leave In is great too.

Qhemet Biologics' Amla and Olive Heavy Creme should do the trick, I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem with moisture w/any of their stuff.

Also try braiding or twisting her hair while it's wet to reduce shrinkage.

Black castor oil works well for me in terms of wearing my hair out and retaining moisture.

Also, applying an oil or butter while the hair is still wet/damp to seal in the moisture.

Lys

Like mentioned earlier, oils and butters help.

I also second Teri's routine. I couldn't believe it worked decently on my hair.

...and I do mean HEP, not help!! I was this close to saying something that I knew would've crushed my 10 y/o dd's feelings so it took everything in me to bite my tongue. She had spring pictures on Monday so Sunday night decided she wanted a rollerset:ohwell:. Maybe I should mention now she's JPAPL natural w/a mixute of 3c-4b fine, dense, super soft, sandy blonde hair that always looks thirsty no matter what I use (w/the exception of shikakai oil) and has MAJOR shrinkage. I prepoo'd, washed, DC and rolle her up. After washing, because of all the shrinkage, she looks CL/SL and hates her hair. I kept spraying w/water as I combed and rolled. This is when I got frustrated and almost told her I HATED her hair. It's harsh I know, and I really don't hate it, it just gets so frustrating and she's a tenderhead. **Off rant**

My question is, to all of you natural ladies, in your experience, what have been the best products for you? While her hair is wet, she has the prettiest coils but as it dries lawdammercy. I decided I was going to try CWs for her, but what are some other tips you ladies can offer to help her hair stay moist and strong, but also retain her coils? TIA!!

leaving conditioner in my hair makes them pop, have you tried "noodlehead" from sally's many rave that it works wonders, ISO Bouncy Creme I used to use years ago. Is has a soft hold and will hold her ringlets in place, IC fantasia gel some have raved about as well. Hth!

Thank you all for your responses :bighug:
I've used noodle head in my hair back in '01-'02, but found other things I liked better so I stopped using it. I may have to try it in hers. I'm definitely taking copious notes and will be researching :bookworm:then making a shopping list. Once I've done some experimenting, I'll update her Fotki folder. Thanks again!

Okay, so this morning after looking at biracialhair.net, I decided to wash dd's hair using the methods described in the blog. All I can say is, WOW! The detangling prcoess today was a breeze, no major tangles and no tears of distress. I smoothed her hair up into a puff and tied her edges down for a while. Her hair is shiny, wavy and still smooth 6 hours later! I can't wait experiment more. She used to wear and love her puffs but now that she's getting older and so many of her friends are getting relaxers and flat irons and presses, she doesn't like to wear it as much but I've been trying to show her natural heads on this board and how pretty her hair actually is and could be, plus it's okay to be different and stand out from the pack. Once she teaches me how to braid though, I think we'll have fun w/her hair this summer.

You might cowash and leave some of the conditioner in it. Then twist in big twists adding (Honeybush Tea Gel) Then let it dry. When you undo the twists her natural coils will be defined and she will see some of her length.:yep:

You might cowash and leave some of the conditioner in it. Then twist in big twists adding (Honeybush Tea Gel) Then let it dry. When you undo the twists her natural coils will be defined and she will see some of her length.:yep:

Thanks, I'll look in to the gel. Qhemet's site has some yummy looking stuff. I've looked before, but just briefly. I checked out your albums and her hair looks pretty similar to yours, actually. Thanks for the input.

Back