Natural hair essentials

frostydoll

Alright ladies,

I've been really lazy with my hair since I became natural fully natural a little over 2 years ago but that's about to change.

What are some essential hair products and appliances?

There are photos of my hair in my fotki but I'm 3c/4a with a very little 3b somewhere in there. I want to stop my ends from being so dry and crispy feeling. I'm really low maintenance and looking for low maintenance styles to wear.

I believe that every natural should have...

Cheapie conditioner
Suave, Vo5 ect

Sulfate free shampoo
I like dr.bronners

Gel
I am currently feeling Jamaican Mango Limes Loc and Twist gel, but then there is the ever so infamous Fantasia IC Gel

A really good deep conditioner
Aburey Organics has a few variations I like Gpb

Glycerine Spray
S curl, Sta Sof Fro
No matter the brand the most important ingredient is GYLCERNE! It has been my natural hair savior

Leave In Conditioner
A good leave in is hard to come by but I am currently loving Cantu!

Grease
Yeah I said it grease! Depending on your hair type or the style desired certain natural butters will do. But if your like me you would be able to even think about getting some cornrows without using some good ole petro.

As a natural I really haven't had much use for many appliances but a blowdryer with a comb is always nice to have.

ove cut back once again to shampoo and conditioner (all ways) and that good ol glycerin (pro-line sof and sheen). Oh and a rubber comb, and a wide tooth comb.

I must to have:

Cream of Nature shampoo
VO5 moisture milk conditioners
Pantene Pro V Hydrating Curls conditioner
World of Curls gel for dry hair
Smooth N Shine curl activator gel for dry hair
Kids Organics Detangling Shea Butter moisturizer
Smooth N Shine Mousse for curly hair
Shower Comb

I deep condition under the dryer for about 30 minutes and I baggy every night. I spray Sta Sof Fro on my hair and wear a plastic bag and satin cap to bed.

I don't deep co with a hood dyrer. Sometimes I wrap a warm towel around my grocery bag... I mean plastic cap. I've tried bagging and although it agrees with my hair it doesn't agree with my twists. To much frizz

mariamichelle said:
I deep condition under the dryer for about 30 minutes and I baggy every night. I spray Sta Sof Fro on my hair and wear a plastic bag and satin cap to bed.

How do you style your hair?

I condition wash everyday and wear a ponytail or a bun during the week. I don't wear my hair out often, but when I do I wear a wash n go. I just bought these banana clip and they look pretty cool. I will be wearing them more often.

P.S. I see that you are from Michigan!!

UMBlessedBeauty_1 said:
Thanks ladies!

Do any of you do deep conditions with a hooded dryer? What about baggying?

I deep condition with a heating cap. I don't like the noise of the hooded dryer.

For some reason, my hair doesn't like s-curl or stay soft fro. I don't think it likes glycerin. I use aloe vera juice instead.

jtsupanova said:
I believe that every natural should have...

Cheapie conditioner
Suave, Vo5 ect

Sulfate free shampoo
I like dr.bronners

Gel
I am currently feeling Jamaican Mango Limes Loc and Twist gel, but then there is the ever so infamous Fantasia IC Gel

A really good deep conditioner
Aburey Organics has a few variations I like Gpb

Glycerine Spray
S curl, Sta Sof Fro
No matter the brand the most important ingredient is GYLCERNE! It has been my natural hair savior

Leave In Conditioner
A good leave in is hard to come by but I am currently loving Cantu!

Grease
Yeah I said it grease! Depending on your hair type or the style desired certain natural butters will do. But if your like me you would be able to even think about getting some cornrows without using some good ole petro.

As a natural I really haven't had much use for many appliances but a blowdryer with a comb is always nice to have.

I Def. agree w all of this.

For the gel, make sure it's alcohol free. I like eco styler and also smooth and shine curl activator gel.. The smooth and shine gives me some definition and moisture.

Glycerin spray: Another great store brand is Daily Doctor

ALso to add: Wide tooth comb, a scarf and night cap to lay hair or edges flat so that you won't have to brush.

Finally: Oil!!! I love WGO and a variety of other oils like jojoba and castor. I can add them to my Vo5 for pre pooing, and I can add them to my ends as a sealant. I can also use them in my daily spray.

Last edited:
For me it's

VO5 hair conditioner
Motions moisterizing con (for deep cond.)
Miss Jessie's curly buttercreme

Once I run out of Miss Jessie's I have to find an inexpensive product to bring out my curls. :ohwell:

I luv cheapie conditioners (Suave, VO5, etc.)
S-Curl
INF 23
CDHHB & Hair Milk
And Queen Helene Cholesterol for deep cond
Fantasia IC Gel or AMPRO brown gel (yeah I still use it! LOL)
I couldn't live without these products!

I don't like hooded dryers on my natural hair so I use a heating cap or just sleep in it. Works great for me either way.

These is what I've found to work on my hair lately:

Giovanni direct leave in - provides moisture
Smooth and shine curl activator gel - provides moisture
FOTE aloe vera gel - slicking back
Vatika oil - melts tangles and seals in moisture, also good prepoo
Fantasia IC - slicking back
Castor oil - makes my conditioner work better, also good prepoo
Aubreys GPB - light protein
Cheap VO5 or suave conditioners - Middle of the week conditioner wash
Shampoo and conditioner - :confused: still looking for one...
Roux Porosity control - I like this for final rinse, smooths hair

I only use a few products. I don't use them all at the same time.

Nexxus Therappe Shampoo
Nexxus Humectress (I need to restock on this)
LeKair Shea Cholesterol Creme - sometimes I leave this in overnight
ORS Replenishing Conditioner - I wash and DC with this once a week
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In - sometimes I use this on dry hair
Fantasia Gel - For slicking hair back and for wash and gos
Giovanni Direct Leave In - Leave in for wash and gos

I think that's it...

when I was natural s curl was a MUST! everyone thought i was crazy for using it but it was the only thing that softened my coarse 4b hair.

and a big tooth comb was an essential also.

My Essentials:

Shower Comb
Shea Butter based pomade/dressing (Currently Ebene Naturals)
Conditioner (DevaCurl One Conditioner)
Leave In (Knot Today)
Gel (Fantasia IC)
Thin headbands (for puffs/updo's)
Bobby Pins
Diffuser

Thanks ladies... a lot of these things I already use like cheapie conditioners and stuff. My hair is growing with my non existent regimen but the longer it gets the more frustrated I get and I hate having dry ends, which I think is a result of a new location more than anything else.

so1913 said:
My Essentials:

Shower Comb
Shea Butter based pomade/dressing (Currently Ebene Naturals)
Conditioner (DevaCurl One Conditioner)
Leave In (Knot Today)
Gel (Fantasia IC)
Thin headbands (for puffs/updo's)
Bobby Pins
Diffuser

Your siggy picture is sooo cute! I might have to invest in more hats this summer because I've been ponytailing it quite a bit.

UMBlessedBeauty_1 said:
Thanks ladies... a lot of these things I already use like cheapie conditioners and stuff. My hair is growing with my non existent regimen but the longer it gets the more frustrated I get and I hate having dry ends, which I think is a result of a new location more than anything else.

I usually put some sort of oil on my ends for second and third day hair. I let my hair steam in the shower then style it by adding Carol Daughters Mimosa honey to the ends.

Are you putting it up at night so it doesn't tangle? De-tangling does take toll on the ends.

Last edited:
My must have hair tools:

K-Cutter Comb
Shower Comb (Jilbere)
Natural Ox horn comb (good for detangling dry hair)
Shampoo brush
Hooded dryer for deep conditioning/protein treatments
Hair cutting shears/scissors
Plastic caps for conditioning and overnight baggy

My must have hair products:

Virgin/unrefined butter (I have good success with mango butter)

Sodium lactate (similar to glycerin but not as sticky...sometimes I make a moisturizing spray with this, panthenol, purified water, oil {oil is optional}. I also mix it with the mango butter)

Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil--I use it after I wash and condition my hair...after applying leave-in conditioner...I slather my hair with this oil..seems to work better than my unrefined Jojoba oil

Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner (I have a variety but Kenra is a very good line that I use every so often. I can't really comment on "cheapie" conditioners as they seem to tangle my hair)

Clarifying shampoo (I use Elucence Volume Clarifying Shampoo...it has a "chelating" agent and it doesn't dry or tangle my hair)

Deep Conditioner (I use Ultra Black Hair Deep conditioner or a moisturizing one like Nacidit Olive Oil conditioner...I might even use Jason's Natural Sea Kelp)

Leave-in Conditioner (Optional? I use Giovanni Direct Leave-in but I think I like the Dominican leave-ins a little better {Nacidit and Lady Fior})

Protein treatment (I use Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair on occasion)

I don't really use water-based créme moisturizers much anymore but when I do it's Profectiv Megagrowth Daily Anti-Breakage Strengthener (it also has a little protein)

I use gel on my hair only when I'm going somewhere. Currently I am using Ampro ProStyl Clear Ice...it worked great last year but when I used it last week...it didn't seem to work as good...so I may try to find a new gel.

*Must have Dominican Product*: Praital Silk Worm Moisturizing Créme...it's just really good stuff and gives me tangle free hair! I use the whole line (shampoo, rinse, conditioner) but the conditioner is the product for me.

Last edited:
Wide-tooth, seamless comb
Suave for conditioner washes
Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancer
Spectrum coconut oil
Fantasia Frizz Buster Straightening gel (smoothes the edges)
plastic caps

These have been my staples for 6 years. :yep:

Oh yes, i use a dryer when i can be bothered, but a plastic bag and a towel tends to do the same thing, so atleast with that method i can get things done...

UMBlessedBeauty_1 said:
I think I might invest in a hooded dryer.

I'm from Detroit but my parents just recently moved to Plymouth.

Hey, I live in Texas by way of MI and IL, my parents live in Plymouth.

Back