Natural hair essentials

Ok I've had dry ends a lot this worked magic, I never wet my hair without putting conditioner on it first, I saturate it I use tresemme I go through conditioner like water so I buy a big gallon of tresemme you save a lot of moolah, so after I saturate then I go in the shower and rinse and then add more conditioner rinse and I'm out no shampoo because when I use shampoo a lot my hair dries out so I only use shampoo once a week, also with my hair I always add leave-ins and all moisturizers on soaking wet hair, and then I always add some regular conditioner on my ends, no dry hair for me ever! Simple little things make a huge difference, my husband thinks I waste the cond, but cond, on dry hair works like a charm. And deep conditioning. I have a lot more but its already long lol

guesswho said:
Ok I've had dry ends a lot this worked magic, I never wet my hair without putting conditioner on it first, I saturate it I use tresemme I go through conditioner like water so I buy a big gallon of tresemme you save a lot of moolah, so after I saturate then I go in the shower and rinse and then add more conditioner rinse and I'm out no shampoo because when I use shampoo a lot my hair dries out so I only use shampoo once a week, also with my hair I always add leave-ins and all moisturizers on soaking wet hair, and then I always add some regular conditioner on my ends, no dry hair for me ever! Simple little things make a huge difference, my husband thinks I waste the cond, but cond, on dry hair works like a charm. And deep conditioning. I have a lot more but its already long lol

Thanks! I've been going through a lot of conditioner as well but I'll try using the conditioner on dry hair thanks for the tip.

guesswho said:
Thanks for sharing! The next time I wash my hair, I'm going to saturate my hair with conditioner first before wetting and washing it. Thanks for the tip!!! :)

My standby products for my natural hair, this week :look:

Super wide tooth comb for detangling, makes curls pizzop!
Deva curl(no poo/ one condition)
suave coconut conditioner( I use it sort of the way that guesswho did, on dry hair and then I seal with castor oil, or gel, moisture and definition)
Fantasia IC gel (this stuff is awesome, once you get used to how it's supposed to work)
CD's hair milk
Oyin shine and define(great product to moisturze and slick down those pesky edges, but the smell is overpowering, so use sparingly)
ApHogee leave in conditioner
Castor oil(i use palm de christi organic castor oil)
MY new fav!!: water, castor oil, conditoner shaken in spray bottle. I've been using this to wet my edges b4 wrapping, and to give my pony puffs a refresher. Life saver!

Poohbear said:
Thanks for sharing! The next time I wash my hair, I'm going to saturate my hair with conditioner first before wetting and washing it. Thanks for the tip!!! :)

I do this all the time...:)

UMBlessedBeauty_1 said:
I tried the conditioner on dry hair and it worked really well. My ends feel softer already...thanks!

I'm super glad it worked for you, and since it looks like our hair is sorta similar, try this when you do your wash and go, the night before soak your hair with olive oil or amla oil or castor which ever you have, put your hair in 4 braids and cover with plastic cap and then your satin cap and go to bed the next morning take down each braid and saturate with conditioner and then get in the shower and rinse it out add more con and rinse when u get out the shower and your leave ins like normal and you would have curls everywhere do not comb let the water run on your hair let me know how it works:)

UMBlessedBeauty_1 said:
Alright ladies,

I've been really lazy with my hair since I became natural fully natural a little over 2 years ago but that's about to change.

What are some essential hair products and appliances?

There are photos of my hair in my fotki but I'm 3c/4a with a very little 3b somewhere in there. I want to stop my ends from being so dry and crispy feeling. I'm really low maintenance and looking for low maintenance styles to wear.

God Bless you for this thread. It is exactly what I needed.

Well for me I have way to many products and am on the "Use it up Challenge". But the good things is I am figuring out what really works for me.

- Crom Magico Emergencia Protien Conditioner
- Suela Y Canela Conditoner
- Daily Defense Conditioner
- Amla, Vatika, Castor, & Olive Oil
- Elucence Moisture Benefits & Volume Clarifying Shampoo
- ORS Olive Oil in the Jar
- Elasta QP Mango Butter
- Qhemet Biologics Amla Hair Pomade
- Hair Tea (my mix)
- Extra Soft Brush, Shower Comb, Denman Brush
- Cut Panyhose, Satin Scrunchies for buns
- satin scarf/ bonnet combo
- satin pillow cases ( even when I travel)

I think that covers what I do on wash days, lazy days and be cute days

guesswho said:
I'm super glad it worked for you, and since it looks like our hair is sorta similar, try this when you do your wash and go, the night before soak your hair with olive oil or amla oil or castor which ever you have, put your hair in 4 braids and cover with plastic cap and then your satin cap and go to bed the next morning take down each braid and saturate with conditioner and then get in the shower and rinse it out add more con and rinse when u get out the shower and your leave ins like normal and you would have curls everywhere do not comb let the water run on your hair let me know how it works:)

I am gonna have to try this, it might work really good on my Twa!

guesswho said:
This works for me well too! For extra moisture though I add castor oil to the mix and let it sit overnight. I just got some red palm oil too and that has been working wonderfully added to the conditioner as well.

The extra oil helps my ends stay in better during the summer.

Essentials for me would be:
Cheap
CON red
Cholesteral conditioner (Queen Helene or LeKair)
AllWays Natural Isogro &/or Nature's Blessings
Leave in Moisturizer of choice
Proclaim curl activator gel or aloe vera gel

A bit more costly:
AO GPB, Honeysuckle Rose & White Camellia
AO Moisturizer
QB Olive & Honey Balm
QB Honeybrush Tea Gel or Curls Milkshake
Castor & coconut oils
Avocado & hemp butter

Wooden comb
Denman brush
Boar Bristle Brush

I use a microcap for deep treatments - it's great - you put it in the microwave to warm up & can walk around & do other things without being tied down to a dryer

OT:
UMBB1: I like your hair.
Tracyannette: Do you like the QB alma pomade? I was thinking about trying their herbs & sulfur pomade.

NappyParadise said:
I am gonna have to try this, it might work really good on my Twa!

Let me know how it works chica, you know I'm always experimenting lol, you didn't tell me how the scurl with infusium and coconut oil work? I can't live without that they laugh at me in work I'm always spritzing lol

guesswho said:
Let me know how it works chica, you know I'm always experimenting lol, you didn't tell me how the scurl with infusium and coconut oil work? I can't live without that they laugh at me in work I'm always spritzing lol

You know what I went through your album again last night and was looking at your products, so Today I went and bought some Tresseme Conditioner for the First time and I put it on my Dry hair before I get in the shower and let me tell you, I feel a difference in my ends, they feel so supple and this Conditioner has alot of Wonderful Ingredients in it! I Love It!

S-curl & Infusium, Baby let me tell you! You are a Nappy Saver! because a sistah was HOT!! I didn't think it would work but it did, my hair stayed soft and looked pretty good!! So Thank You Twin!

guesswho said:

Darn I couldn't remember the oils you listed while I was in the store and I bought carrot oil but I'll try it and see if it works.

XXXtacy said:
What is a good protein for natural ladies? Do we need it?

TIA

I use the Aphrogee treatment every 6 to 8 weeks. My hair likes it, and as a result is strong and has elasticity. I notice that I have less knots and tangles for the first 3 to 5 weeks after the treatment. For me that benefit alone makes the treatment necessary

Naturals do need protein, but how much and what type will depend on the individual hair.

XXXtacy said:
What is a good protein for natural ladies? Do we need it?

TIA

I love Aubrey GPB. I think of it as a light protein. I don't need any heavy duty protein because I don't color my hair or put a lot of stressors on it. I don't think a heavy protein is needed for many naturals.

NappyParadise said:
You know what I went through your album again last night and was looking at your products, so Today I went and bought some Tresseme Conditioner for the First time and I put it on my Dry hair before I get in the shower and let me tell you, I feel a difference in my ends, they feel so supple and this Conditioner has alot of Wonderful Ingredients in it! I Love It!

S-curl & Infusium, Baby let me tell you! You are a Nappy Saver! because a sistah was HOT!! I didn't think it would work but it did, my hair stayed soft and looked pretty good!! So Thank You Twin!

Girl I'm so glad it worked for you, I swear I thank god I like to experiment lol, I could add stuff and people would ask me if I have a texturizer if I'm relaxed because they see curls, its not natural people I create it lol, products and technique is everything I could rock a nappy fro if I want too! I could rock curls its all in the products, I love the versatility of my hair, and happy birthday chica I remembered :)

guesswho said:
Girl I'm so glad it worked for you, I swear I thank god I like to experiment lol, I could add stuff and people would ask me if I have a texturizer if I'm relaxed because they see curls, its not natural people I create it lol, products and technique is everything I could rock a nappy fro if I want too! I could rock curls its all in the products, I love the versatility of my hair, and happy birthday chica I remembered :)

thats what i wanna learn how to do...how can i get my girls to pop like urs

guesswho said:

Thank You & I know yours is coming up soon! Also I will be trying the overnight oil treatment,& then the conditioner and rinse etc. My Daughter loves the way the Tresseme smells, I love the way it worked my hair was so soft, I am gonna put it on the back burner until I use up my Suave, but White Rain has some Lovely ingredients too, so I might do white rain & tresseme and let suave go:eek: I Loves Me Some Suave! But I have found better!!

For my natural hair:

Moisturizing shampoo (typically no more than once a week)
Cheap conditioners
Paul Mitchell The Detangler (not always necessary, but nice to use sometimes)
Denman brush
Wide toothed comb
Creamy leave-in (Redken Anti-Snap and Paul Mitchell The Conditioner)
The ever-popular Fantasia IC gel
Satin pillowcases that I make myself
Ponytailers and headbands with no metal parts
Clarifier (natural or synthetic)

guesswho said:

Thank you so much!!!

This help magnificently!! My coils are much more defined eventhough I am baggying at the moment.

Back