Natural hair and hair balls..

VictoriaCrystal

New to the site..but this is for those who do not know this already..Hair balls are strands of hair that have shed and become trapped in your hair and can cause breakage.When my hair is not straightened..I comb it ever 3 days to prevent the hair balls from working their way to the ends of my hair because too many shed hairs accumulated there are almost impossible to detangle and you end up ripping the ends off and your growth does not show up.If you don't comb thru as many say they do not..it is a good idea to use your fingers and pull hair outward and pull the shed strands out every day.

Last edited:
I sometimes get a few strands shed when I play with my twist undoing or redoing a twist around the edges when it looks okay(touch my hair habit) but I wouldn't to pull the shed strands out everyday with my fingers. Maybe a shingling type maneuver or finger detangling would be better, but I wouldn't need to do that everyday. Once a week detangling works best for me.

I'm so sad, i've had the worst setback ever, what made me think i could shampoo my hair like white people and leave it for a few days before detangling. i've lost so much hair i'm grieving. i'm considering starting cowashing just because of the fear of ever getting in such a mess again. the amount of 'hair balls' i cut out with scissors :nono:

I mean for those who do not comb their hair..some say it may be a month and that is too much trapped hair.And when I say pull them..I am meaning those who wear it loose,they are already detached from the scalp and should come out easily...hair balls once they reach the bottom and bunch up is going to have to be torn off or cut out...losing the growth..I don't twist or knot mine or anything,but it shouldn't be much of a problem with it sealed in..if I did I would comb it before I shampooed..I would be afraid it would tangle too much...just keep combing till the shed hair stops coming out.You seem to have a system that works for you..but hair balls are a problem for some naturals.

Yep, I cowash AT LEAST 3 times a week and I only detangle when I cowash. If I cowash any less than that then it’s too much shed hair being accumulated in my head that when I do finally detangle, I end up pulling out more hair than necessary because I have hair balls and SSKs galore!

Back