"Natchal" needing encouragement 2 remain "Natchal"

In my family (moms side...thanks mom:nono:) we have over active sweat glands. Short of the under arm surgery (which I did budget for 08', but still undecided about the whole 'surgery' thang) all I have are perscription strength deo's that sting like the dickens, but nothing for the scalp.

So, even when I was natural and pressed, summer I was curly/kinky and not by choice.

Sweating lead me to relaxing :sad:

Oh wow, it takes my hair a while to revert even in the summer but once it does, then its gone!!!

In my family (moms side...thanks mom:nono:) we have over active sweat glands. Short of the under arm surgery (which I did budget for 08', but still undecided about the whole 'surgery' thang) all I have are perscription strength deo's that sting like the dickens, but nothing for the scalp.

So, even when I was natural and pressed, summer I was curly/kinky and not by choice.

Sweating lead me to relaxing :sad:

Mine won't revert - it just swells really big hence the nick name "Anna Mae" (Tina).

Aww, Nakia don't relax your hair-your texture's so pretty. I have found that rollersetting my hair helps tremendously with knots & splits. I just figured out that the week I got lazy and slap it into buns regularly is when my splits & knots reoccured. It also helps to stretch your hair in some type of style before it dries, preventing it from curling upon itself- I hope this helps :bighug::bighug:
Thanks 4 the compliment. I really don't want 2 go back 2 relaxing. I'm leaning 2wards braids, weaves, wigs 4 awhile & I'm going 2 give myself a minute b4 I decide.

I mainly stick to braids but now that my hair is getting longer, I'm about to try and do more wash and go and use flexi rods on wet hair. I just took out tree braids. The last time I straighten was in September so its been 4 months. Usually, I go about once every 1-3 months. I use a flat iron.

I have a tree braid appt 4 Feb 9th. I think I'll PM u 4 some maintenance tips.

I have a tree braid appt 4 Feb 9th. I think I'll PM u 4 some maintenance tips.

Some said it couldn't be done but mine lasted for a month. Just don't let the stylist braid too tight around your temples and don't let them put any type of glue at the bottom of your cornrows to hold them together. Some African braiders are good for doing that. Also, get curly hair!!

Last edited:
Nakia, are the knots the only reason that you are re-evaluating your natural status? Are there other things you think you would be glad to not deal with anymore if you went back to relaxing?

I have been natural a loooooooooong time and the only time I've EVER noticed fairy knots was very recently when I started using horn combs, and then again when my porosity needed correcting. Maybe you just need to diagnose the cause of the knots.

So let's hear it! What is your list of grievances.

Nakia, are the knots the only reason that you are re-evaluating your natural status? Are there other things you think you would be glad to not deal with anymore if you went back to relaxing?

I have been natural a loooooooooong time and the only time I've EVER noticed fairy knots was very recently when I started using horn combs, and then again when my porosity needed correcting. Maybe you just need to diagnose the cause of the knots.

So let's hear it! What is your list of grievances.

LOL - so u're calling me out! U're right, though. Fairy knots (as u call them) r not the only reason why I'm contemplating relaxing. Honestly sometimes I just miss having relaxed hair b/c this seems like so much more work. Then I'm @ this crazy awkward stage - my hair isn't long enough 2 bun & do protective styles so there isn't much that I can do with it - it's either twist/braid outs, puffs or wash n gos. & I have a patch of 4z hair that has a bad case of dryness & I can't seem 2 find anything 2 cure it. So there u have it - my list of grievances. :spinning:

LOL - so u're calling me out! U're right, though. Fairy knots (as u call them) r not the only reason why I'm contemplating relaxing. Honestly sometimes I just miss having relaxed hair b/c this seems like so much more work. Then I'm @ this crazy awkward stage - my hair isn't long enough 2 bun & do protective styles so there isn't much that I can do with it - it's either twist/braid outs, puffs or wash n gos. & I have a patch of 4z hair that has a bad case of dryness & I can't seem 2 find anything 2 cure it. So there u have it - my list of grievances. :spinning:

I say, do what you want to do! It's not like you can't ever come back to the board :grouphug:

LOL! Okay, okay, okay that's fair. If you've only been natural for a short time aaaand you're in the awkward stage--of course you're having second thoughts! :grin: Who didn't have second thoughts after leaving the only type of hair they knew? :spinning: Don't worry, it happens to us all. If you think that more straight styles would be available to you at this stage, and that it would make your life easier, who is anyone else to say for you?

But if you're just trying to have healthy hair and get beyond this stage...:look: then you could try to find the cause of any non-length symptoms that are causing distress. Keep in mind, if you did the BC, then you have already made a big sacrifice to get this far. Your hair will grow in at the same rate whether natural or relaxed, so only time will make this stage pass. Plus, if you should decide to go natural again (should the second round of relaxing not go as planned) then you will have added that much more time to regrow and complete your transition.

Don't worry, whatever you choose, we're here for you. We are the all hair support group. :yep:

dinaaike - very nicely said! You words of encouragement and support seems to speak to me too!!!:yep:

LOL! Okay, okay, okay that's fair. If you've only been natural for a short time aaaand you're in the awkward stage--of course you're having second thoughts! :grin: Who didn't have second thoughts after leaving the only type of hair they knew? :spinning: Don't worry, it happens to us all. If you think that more straight styles would be available to you at this stage, and that it would make your life easier, who is anyone else to say for you?

But if you're just trying to have healthy hair and get beyond this stage...:look: then you could try to find the cause of any non-length symptoms that are causing distress. Keep in mind, if you did the BC, then you have already made a big sacrifice to get this far. Your hair will grow in at the same rate whether natural or relaxed, so only time will make this stage pass. Plus, if you should decide to go natural again (should the second round of relaxing not go as planned) then you will have added that much more time to regrow and complete your transition.

Don't worry, whatever you choose, we're here for you. We are the all hair support group. :yep:

Last edited:

Thanks for that. Trutfully I appreciate all of the ladies showing me love. Last night I really did some "hair" searching & I've decided that I'm going 2 hang n here 4 awhile longer. I began 2 fotki stalk all of the 4a/4b naturals & big shot out 2 jenteel - I came up w/a protective hairstyle 4 now. It may not b the cutest but I'm satisfied. I parted my hair down the middle & basically just did 2 bantu knots & secured them w/my snagless ponytail holders. (Kind of a fake Princess Leah) Then I put on one of those skinny headbands. It looks "aight". :yep:
I have an appointment for tree braids in a few weeks & I'm going to just put my hair away 4 awhile so I don't have 2 think about it. I'm giving myself @ least another year b4 I make a decision.

dinaaike - very nicely said! You words of encouragement and support seems to speak to me too!!!:yep:
Thank you. You're never sure when you're helping someone out or not.

Thanks for that. Trutfully I appreciate all of the ladies showing me love. Last night I really did some "hair" searching & I've decided that I'm going 2 hang n here 4 awhile longer. I began 2 fotki stalk all of the 4a/4b naturals & big shot out 2 jenteel - I came up w/a protective hairstyle 4 now. It may not b the cutest but I'm satisfied. I parted my hair down the middle & basically just did 2 bantu knots & secured them w/my snagless ponytail holders. (Kind of a fake Princess Leah) Then I put on one of those skinny headbands. It looks "aight". :yep:
I have an appointment for tree braids in a few weeks & I'm going to just put my hair away 4 awhile so I don't have 2 think about it. I'm giving myself @ least another year b4 I make a decision.

:grin: @ the bolded. Smart decision to put it off for a while. Honestly, the major hair decisions like cutting, coloring, and relaxing should all come with time constraints. I have a policy that any major cuts have to remain ponytail-capable. This way, if I regret it, I can still tie it up until it grows back out.

Nakia, don't forget flat twists and the other hair sites for style ideas. Good luck and happy hair growing!

Back