My stylist told me to ____ and she was DEAD wrong!

rainbowknots

I just want to know how many ladies have been given bad advice from their stylist and what the consequences were. My experience is, I had one lady who used to perm my hair and she used to tell me that I shouldn't put anything in my hair at all (except oil sheen). My consequence was extremely dry and brittle hair for a VERY long time! :wallbash: Well since I've joined this site, I've learned that my hair NEEDS products period. So, how many other ladies have taken the advice of a stylist, has ended up with horrible results, and had to get turned around by the LHCF?

1.What advice were you given?
2.What were the results?
3.How did you turn your hair around?

P.S. I'm kind of using this to get better advice for my hair care since I'm still a newbie!

Well this isn't exactly something they've said, but something they all seem to do. Leaving relaxers in to the point of burning.:nono:

I just self relaxed last week for the first time in years. I used Phyto II and added olive oil. I left it on about 18 min (which was longer than I wanted, but I'm new at this), and it never burned:grin:. Washed it out and still had texture to my hair. Just loosened the kinks. It was great! Can't wait till my whole head is texlaxed, and hate how most stylists insist on leaving relaxers in un-Godly amounts of time for them to "take".

stylist always put a dime size of moisturizing 'whatever' in my hair...this wasn't a recommendation, but I though it was all I needed...which resulted in see-through hair...

About 20 years ago, this guy gave me a beautiful new haircut and a fresh relaxer, he told me to maintain the style by spraying with oil sheen and curling with a curling iron every morning!:rolleyes:

come in and see me every two weeks so we can "trim" your ends. and make sure you grease your scalp 1x a week so your hair grows :lachen:

....and dont was your hair every week, thats for white folk :(, once a month is suffice!

The new place I got to is run by only Koreans, I'm currently in Korea, and when I get my hair washed, the lady rubs my hair with a towel so friggin' hard I can almost feel the hair breaking in half :wallbash:. The only problem is she doesn't understand a lick of english so I'm pretty much SOL. I can't self relax because I don't know how, and even if I could, the sink in my dorm room isn't big enough for me to stick my head under to wash the perm out :sad:. I can't wait to get my own place so that I can become a DIYer, I have never had good luck with stylist. I would be here all day if I tried to complain about them all.:sad:

About 20 years ago, this guy gave me a beautiful new haircut and a fresh relaxer, he told me to maintain the style by spraying with oil sheen and curling with a curling iron every morning!:rolleyes:

Oooooooo....shut yo mouth!!!:blush::blush::blush:

The new place I got to is run by only Koreans, I'm currently in Korea, and when I get my hair washed, the lady rubs my hair with a towel so friggin' hard I can almost feel the hair breaking in half :wallbash:. The only problem is she doesn't understand a lick of english so I'm pretty much SOL. I can't self relax because I don't know how, and even if I could, the sink in my dorm room isn't big enough for me to stick my head under to wash the perm out :sad:. I can't wait to get my own place so that I can become a DIYer, I have never had good luck with stylist. I would be here all day if I tried to complain about them all.:sad:

Oh no...I feel your pain! I call myself a succesful self-relaxer (after only doing it once, but it went well) but I had help from my mom. I could have never done it alone (at least not yet). Is there ANYONE that can help you? I HATE that vigorous towel rubbing that stylists do!! They do it to me at the Dominican salon and I often just turn around and want to snap on them! But I'm too nice, and I don't :perplexed, but I think we gotta say something. This is our hair were talking about!

I had really dry hair and my stylist told me to buy some leave in placenta protein treatment:perplexed. This meant all I was using was protein, no moisture:sad:. Results - breakage, I swear my hair would break with the slightest touch or breeze, I don't go to her anymore:nono:.

I think if we keep in mind the suggestions/recommendations that stylists make is really their opinion and all things don't work for all people. What you don't know can hurt you, which is why one must take develop patience and commit time to learn what works for them.

My hair has suffered greatly from breakage because of "experienced" stylists:
1. Overprocessing hair w/ relaxer
2. Not deep conditioning or using any type of conditioner for that matter
3. Using products not feasible for my hair

What I did was did a massive cut (six inches) by the way, I was well below BSL almost WL to get rid of the damaged hair and used products that my hair responded to. I saw immediate results and the only time I go to the stylist is for my relaxers and I stretch as long as possible so that I don't have to go so often.

I'm very grateful to this board and I'm not sure where I'd be without it. Again, the point I'm making is do what works for you.

HTH
TonicaG

Last edited:
I had a stylist tell me that I needed to come to her salon every month to get my hair dyed. I told her that I was itching everytime she colored me so I wanted to use henna instead.

She told me in a very nasty voice: "Henna is a chemical. A chemical is a chemical." That crazy lady didn't know anything about henna. I stopped going to her after that and my hair magically grew.

Use this! Vita Creme
yhst-96428644373210_2036_40027335
lots and lots of it!!!

Then she would proceed to take a big dollop of it and rub it all over my head. :nono: My hair was always dry as a bone and I had no idea why.

The first ingredient in this stuff is mineral oil and I think it has petroleum and lanolin in it too...:ohwell:

1. Worse advice:
- trim my ends every 6 weeks to "make my hair grow"
- spray oil sheen on my burning scalp during a relaxer application to ease the pain
- relax to the point of burning (which the other ladies have also said)
2. Results: over- processed hair, breakage, sore scalp
3. Turned my hair around w/ a lot of TLC, stretching, and trimming off damaged hair

On the other hand, some of the best advice that I've been given by several stylists, but just didn't listen was to stop relaxing period because "I don't need it", or if I did, to relax less frequently and use Phyto. I mean, like every stylist that I have gone to has told me that....., even the Dominicans :look:

Why do some stylists say that they have Growing Hands? What's so special about their hands, that they will make my hair grow faster?:ohwell:

I was told that I HAD to trim at every relaxer. So I did. I relaxed every 6-8 weeks and trimmed about an inch or more each time. No length retention.

Worst advice:

1. Clip ends to make them Grow :huh:

2. Braids will take your hair out - and I will have to cut it all off...:ohwell:

3. "Is it burning yet? Let me know...."

I had bad flashbacks of the serious burning that was going on, on my scalp. My head was on FIRE :burning:every 6 weeks...What was worse - is that the relaxer was on my whole hair shaft....:burning:
LAWD.:burning: I had so many scalp burns.... I thought it was normal....:nono:

I could never go back to that. I am way too jaded to go back to any stylist.

Last edited:
I had a stylist tell me that I needed to come to her salon every month to get my hair dyed. I told her that I was itching everytime she colored me so I wanted to use henna instead.

She told me in a very nasty voice: "Henna is a chemical. A chemical is a chemical." That crazy lady didn't know anything about henna. I stopped going to her after that and my hair magically grew.

Wow....:nono: Anything cutting their money is "bad for you"

I was told that Braids would take my hair out....

Magically my hair grew, too!!!

She keeps asking me when I am going to cut my hair:mad: She knows I want waist length. Also she said I'm always going to have split ends unless I keep it straight. I don't believe that:nono: SO thats why im taking a break from her for a while.

I dont know if this has been typed yet, I havent read throught the thread but previous stylists have told me that I had to get my hair trimmed every relaxer. Some stylists would tell me I needed a relaxer only after about 5 weeks post and my hair never grew that fast that I needed a touchup around 5 weeks post. Now however I stretch my relaxers until around 10 weeks post. But I have come to realize all of that trimming is probably why my hair never grew past SL in the past. They were cutting off my progress.

Last edited:
Worst advice:

1. Clip ends to make them Grow :huh:

2. Braids will take your hair out - and I will have to cut it all off...:ohwell:

3. "Is it burning yet? Let me know...."

I had bad flashbacks of the serious burning that was going on, on my scalp. My head was on FIRE :burning:every 6 weeks...What was worse - is that the relaxer was on my whole hair shaft....:burning:
LAWD.:burning: I had so many scalp burns.... I thought it was normal....:nono:

I could never go back to that. I am way too jaded to go back to any stylist.

:lachen::lachen::lachen:@ the bolded. This is exactly what was said to me at the dominican salon. I haven't been there or to any other salon in a year.

I am now transitioning but I have had this same issue way to many times. They try to get it super straight to the point where you have no bounce.

1. Worse advice:
- trim my ends every 6 weeks to "make my hair grow"
- spray oil sheen on my burning scalp during a relaxer application to ease the pain
- relax to the point of burning (which the other ladies have also said)
2. Results: over- processed hair, breakage, sore scalp
3. Turned my hair around w/ a lot of TLC, stretching, and trimming off damaged hair

On the other hand, some of the best advice that I've been given by several stylists, but just didn't listen was to stop relaxing period because "I don't need it", or if I did, to relax less frequently and use Phyto. I mean, like every stylist that I have gone to has told me that....., even the Dominicans :look:

Awww man I just had a flash back. A stylist did that to me when she was relaxing my hair it started to burn and she sprayed oil sheen. Oh my jesus lord, that burned so bad. I never went to her again.:nono:

2 things. How long are you in Korea for?
Maybe it's time to just get braids and twists for the duration of your stay there, so that other stylists who aren't sympathetic to your type of hair don't Ruin your hair.

If you do feel the need to relax, you can always use the bucket method, by filling up a bucket of water so that you can pour that over your head in the sink, and then refill it if you need more water....

1.Trim ends every 2 weeks to help hair grow
2.Get a touch up whenever ng is visible
3.The perm isn't "taking" until it starts to burn a little
4.Shampoo hair at least 3x during a wash to make sure hair is clean

My old stylist was full of it :wallbash:

1. You can't get a rollerset because you're natural. That was from a ghetto lady in Boston who I then allowed to BURN my hair with a flat iron. And when I say burn, it looked like one of those old school presses stuck together with grease. And it took about 5 washes (over 2 weeks) to get the smell of burnt hair out. And even then it still kind of lingered. Never went back to her and shortly after found someone much better.

2. You can wash your hair with dishwashing liquid. I was like um no you can't and if you put that in my hair I'm leaving.

3. You have to trim your hair every time you come in which was every 3 weeks. I figured out that was crazy so I stopped going to that one.

4. You have to press your hair before you can put braids in. Um no. I knew that was a crock of bull. I'd been getting braids all my life and never once did I need to press my hair first. And then she tried to say she had to use gel to make the braids tight enough. Um no again. I just left.

No more stylists for me.

That washing my hair often is not healthy.

That she needed to cut my hair to curl it. I was younger then and grew tired of arguing with her not to cut it, so she did. I'm wary of the whole trimming thing too, I've been jacked too many times off of that scam. I leave with some hideous cut and Im depressed for awhile over a "trim" I didnt want anyway.

I dont know if this has been typed yet, I havent read throught the thread but previous stylists have told me that I had to get my hair trimmed every relaxer, which is probably why my hair never grew past SL in the past. They were cutting off my progress.

This one irks me! That was the reason I was nver past SL in the past

1. You can't get a rollerset because you're natural. That was from a ghetto lady in Boston who I then allowed to BURN my hair with a flat iron. And when I say burn, it looked like one of those old school presses stuck together with grease. And it took about 5 washes (over 2 weeks) to get the smell of burnt hair out. And even then it still kind of lingered. Never went back to her and shortly after found someone much better.

2. You can wash your hair with dishwashing liquid. I was like um no you can't and if you put that in my hair I'm leaving.

3. You have to trim your hair every time you come in which was every 3 weeks. I figured out that was crazy so I stopped going to that one.

4. You have to press your hair before you can put braids in. Um no. I knew that was a crock of bull. I'd been getting braids all my life and never once did I need to press my hair first. And then she tried to say she had to use gel to make the braids tight enough. Um no again. I just left.

No more stylists for me.

OMG!!:nono:

Back