My stylist told me to ____ and she was DEAD wrong!

Well this isn't exactly something they've said, but something they all seem to do. Leaving relaxers in to the point of burning.:nono:

I just self relaxed last week for the first time in years. I used Phyto II and added olive oil. I left it on about 18 min (which was longer than I wanted, but I'm new at this), and it never burned:grin:. Washed it out and still had texture to my hair. Just loosened the kinks. It was great! Can't wait till my whole head is texlaxed, and hate how most stylists insist on leaving relaxers in un-Godly amounts of time for them to "take".

You aint said nuthin but a word! I agree whole heartedly....thats probably why i don't go to the salon that much, plus I'm cheap and broke....probably why I'm cheap...lol:lachen:

Why do some stylists say that they have Growing Hands? What's so special about their hands, that they will make my hair grow faster?:ohwell:

This is soooo true!! I've only know 2 stylists in my life who actually had really healthy hair care practices that might promote "retention."

One was in Houston- she was young w/ BSL hair that she only relaxed maybe once per year - she introduced me to rollerwraps and the "saran wrap method" but I thought it took too long so I would just tell her to blowdry and flatiron my hair instead! :nono: So I blame that one on my ignorance.

The other was an old school stylist in Louisiana who used to do a mean press & curl :yep:.

But most of the ones I've gone to don't know much!

Awww man I just had a flash back. A stylist did that to me when she was relaxing my hair it started to burn and she sprayed oil sheen. Oh my jesus lord, that burned so bad. I never went to her again.:nono:

This is what made me stop going to stylists period. The last time this happened to me was after joining LHCF & I said no, no more....ever. I couldn't believe I sat in the chair and allowed my scalp to be on fire :wallbash:.

I don't understand how hair is supposed to grow if you keep cutting it? When ever I would visit a hair stylist to have a relaxer, the one thing they would always do it cut , not trim , my hair, mind you that my hair grows only .5 inch a month and I would be visiting the salon for a touchup every 6-8 weeks. Some people have slow growing hair , so I 'm thinking that it would not be wise to always cut a clients hair every time you see them.

1.What advice were you given? Back when I was relaxed, just about every stylist I went to said they needed to run the relaxer through the length of my strands rather than just my new growth.
2.What were the results? Thin, overprocessed, dry, brittle hair
3.How did you turn your hair around? I went natural. :grin:

I was told that my relaxer didn't take because I wasn't relaxed. How about she just slapped it on without smoothing it?

Needless to say, I had underprocessed new growth.

I stopped going to her.

1. she told me to use kera care creme hairdress as my daily moisturizer. mineral oil is either the first or second ingredient in it, which does not agree w/ my hair.
2. i had so much hair breaking off while i was using that crap. :wallbash:
3. i tried several different moisturizers until i landed on jane carter nourish and shine.

The stylist from hell that I experienced this Sat told me that if she didn't cut my ends, that they would split and I would have damaged hair since my ends weren't even..
( I do wash n go's and only put heat to my hair a few times a year, this so happen to be one of the few times)

I love my hair more than her so needless to say I did not let her cut!

Uhm:
"Your dd's (natural) hair is dry. Why don't you mix some Mayonnaise and Honey with some Blue Magic grease and that will make her natural curls pop. The M&H will soften her hair while the Blue Magic will condition her hair. You even don't have to put a conditioner on her hair since the Blue Magic will condition it." What!!! Yeah ther curls popped alright, her hair was dry as a powder house.

Lately:
"You don't need to go longer than six weeks (post relaxer). That's why your hair is shedding." Uhm, have you ever heard of a such thing called protein treatment. I guess not when your defintion of a deep condish is putting some "watery" substance on my hair and letting me sit at the wash bowl for, mmm, about 20 minutes or so, while you work on another head.

I've had enough.:wallbash:

Uhm:
"Your dd's (natural) hair is dry. Why don't you mix some Mayonnaise and Honey with some Blue Magic grease and that will make her natural curls pop. The M&H will soften her hair while the Blue Magic will condition her hair. You even don't have to put a conditioner on her hair since the Blue Magic will condition it." What!!! Yeah ther curls popped alright, her hair was dry as a powder house.

Lately:
"You don't need to go longer than six weeks (post relaxer). That's why your hair is shedding." Uhm, have you ever heard of a such thing called protein treatment. I guess not when your defintion of a deep condish is putting some "watery" substance on my hair and letting me sit at the wash bowl for, mmm, about 20 minutes or so, while you work on another head.

I've had enough.:wallbash:

She wasn't too far off with honey. A lot of naturals (including myself) love honey because it moisturizes really well. You may want to try the caramel treatment on your DD, it has honey, molasses, bananas, olive oil, pinch of acv, wheat germ oil, and little cornstarch to thicken.. The more moisture natural hair has, the more defined the curls will be, usually.

Mayonnaise is for a protein treatment...you can mix eggs and other stuff with that. And Blue Magic is just wrong.

She wasn't too far off with honey. A lot of naturals (including myself) love honey because it moisturizes really well. You may want to try the caramel treatment on your DD, it has honey, molasses, bananas, olive oil, pinch of acv, wheat germ oil, and little cornstarch to thicken.. The more moisture natural hair has, the more defined the curls will be, usually.

Mayonnaise is for a protein treatment...you can mix eggs and other stuff with that. And Blue Magic is just wrong.

Yeah, you're right about the honey, but this was a grease or hair creme (mayonnaise and honey by B&B) with mineral oils. The combo was lethal for my baby's hair. The buildup was terrible and it did nothing for moisture. I currently use the aloe vera juice/rosewater/glycerin mixture for her hair and I love how it moisturize although after a several days, I don't care for the stickiness from the glycerin. You'll have give me that caramel treatment recipe. Heard some good things about it.

Yeah, you're right about the honey, but this was a grease or hair creme (mayonnaise and honey by B&B) with mineral oils. The combo was lethal for my baby's hair. The buildup was terrible and it did nothing for moisture. I currently use the aloe vera juice/rosewater/glycerin mixture for her hair and I love how it moisturize although after a several days, I don't care for the stickiness from the glycerin. You'll have give me that caramel treatment recipe. Heard some good things about it.

Oh, I don't what that hair creme is but that doesn't even sound right. I haven't heard of mayo and honey being mixed together at the same time. And then mineral oil? :nono:

Here's the thread for the caramel treatment. Use the recipe posted by SamanthaJones. That's the basic one. See how that works and if you want to add other stuff then go ahead. It's very moisturizing though I don't know if your DD will mind leaving it on for a while.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=126629

I wonder if the school all of these stylists go through teach the same curriculum, it seems as if the majority of the bad advice we get is the same, trimming too much, leaving the perm in too long etc....what's up with that LOL. There was this one lady who told me to tell her when I'm ready to wash the perm out, I'm thinking "what the heck, I'm not the one who went through beauty school, you're the one getting paid to know this stuff...not me" :rolleyes:

I wonder if the school all of these stylists go through teach the same curriculum, it seems as if the majority of the bad advice we get is the same, trimming too much, leaving the perm in too long etc....what's up with that LOL. There was this one lady who told me to tell her when I'm ready to wash the perm out, I'm thinking "what the heck, I'm not the one who went through beauty school, you're the one getting paid to know this stuff...not me" :rolleyes:

LMAO!
This quote is so standard for me! Almost every stylist I've ever been to has left it up to me to let THEM know when I was ready to wash the perm out...and yall know what time that was....BURN TIME..lol:lachen::lachen:

No but seriously, has anyone ever noticed how jacked up stylists hair always looks! I've had 1 maybe 2 hairdressers with decent looking hair, the rest, thin, damaged, messes! Most of the time I'm sitting there thinking, jeez maybe I should give YOU some hair advice!:grin: And despite all this, I somehow still let them touch MY hair....shame on me :naughty:

1.What advice were you given?
You should put your flat iron on 450 (to get the same heat as a marcel iron).

2.What were the results?
Burned the hell out of my hair. What's that smell? It's my damn hair burning!

3.How did you turn your hair around?
Stopped going to that stylist and stopped using excessive heat.

I was told that going natural was impossible, to just forget about it
Then when I figured out how to transition, I was told that all of my hair was going to fall out

Back in the day my stylist used to blowfry my hair, then proceed to spray hairspray on my hair, then use the curling iron. My hair was nice and crispy! It wouldn't move and my hair looked gorgeous! A few months later I was bald LOL

The stylist from hell that I experienced this Sat told me that if she didn't cut my ends, that they would split and I would have damaged hair since my ends weren't even..
( I do wash n go's and only put heat to my hair a few times a year, this so happen to be one of the few times)

I love my hair more than her so needless to say I did not let her cut!

And the bolded is so me. When their giving me the "dead ends/split ends speech" all the while I am thinking to myself I'm not going to argue with her when she is done I'll just say thanks for letting me know, but I trim my own ends. I didn't always stand my ground though there were many times where I gave in after "the speech" and ended with about 1 to 2 inches of hair whacked off, and because of this I no longer trust stylists to trim my hair.

i had really bad breakage in the middle of my head (the longest part i might add) due to a complicated weave my friend put in. The Dominicans told me to come back every week for a deep conditioner.....umm i come to you 3x a year for a reason I HAVE NO MONEY!

they do that "tell me when its burning" thing too, but i haven't sustained scalp burns in a long long time.

also these tricks dont listen. whenever i go to them after a long stretch they want to trim my ends and the convo goes like this:
DS: Mami you need to trim your ends
Me: Its ok, leave them
DS: mami look seriously, your hair is uneven you have to clip it
Me: No its fine leave it, i have no money for it
DS: Mami you NEED to trim ::consuts other stylists::
ODS: Yes mami you need trim
Me: No! leave it alone
DS: i do it for free, mami you need it ::proceeds to clip::
Me: ::steams::

Okay, that's just scary. :eek:

dishsoap?? :cry3:

how could they even say something like that!!!

But neways i've never been relaxed. But when i was younger, about 11 or so my dad brought me to a salon. He told the lady working there that he wanted my hair to be straight, and to use a hot comb on my 3b curls. She said it would be IMPOSSIBLE to do, and i have WAY TO MUCH hair on my head for all that!! THEN she offered to put a SUPER PERM on it. My dad was scared so he was like uhh NVM and we left. I continued to wear my hair in nappy pigtails.

Why do some stylists say that they have Growing Hands? What's so special about their hands, that they will make my hair grow faster?:ohwell:

HA Ha I was about to post this, this woman actually said to me you know I am from the south and we have "growin hands" so your hair is guaranteed to grow under my watch. :lachen:

I was told that going natural was impossible, to just forget about it
Then when I figured out how to transition, I was told that all of my hair was going to fall out

Back in the day my stylist used to blowfry my hair, then proceed to spray hairspray on my hair, then use the curling iron. My hair was nice and crispy! It wouldn't move and my hair looked gorgeous! A few months later I was bald LOL

I GO TO THE DOMINICANS ABOUT ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH WHEN MY NG IS THICK TO GET THE ROOTS BLOWN OUT

SHE TOLD ME THAT I NEEDED A PERM AND TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY LET IT COOK:perplexedHAIR COOK??:nono: NOT MY HAIR IT IS VERY THICK BUT VERY MANAGEABLE SHE ALSO SAID THAT IF I TRANSITON MY HAIR WOULD FALL OUT !!!

YOU READY FOR THE KICKER?????????AFTER SHE BLEW THE ROOTS OUT "SHE THEN TELLS ME THAT MY HAIR GREW BUT IT WOULD FALL OUT AFTER A WHILE" I JUST TOLD HER THAT IT WAS MY WISHES AND I AM NOT PERMING

WENT IN THIS WEEK AND IT WAS A LITTLE DEAD SHE WAS GETTING HER HAIR DONE AND SHE IS NATURAL:swearing:WHY IN THE HE@# WOULD SHE TELL MY TO RELAX...NO "COOK"MY HAIR BUT SHE IS NATURAL???????? IT SEEMS THAT ALOT OF WOMEN OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO RELAX AND I SEE SOME LOVELY HEADS OF LONG THICK CURLEY HEADED SPANISH WOMEN WHO THEY DO NOT ENCOUGAGE:boxing:I THINK THAT ALOT OF SPANISH WEMON KNOW BETTER THAT TO PUT THAT ISH IN THERE HAIR THEY ARE WAAAAYYY AHEAD OF US ON THATI AM ABOUT TO THROUGH SOME MICROS IN USE MY MEGA TEK AND CALL IT A DAY:grin:

I forgot to add that the same stylist that I talked about in my previous post advised me not to get braids because "they will damage your hair. Your hair will fall out when you take the braids out."

Needless to say her hair was always shorter than mine.

1.What advice were you given?
There are so many things I don't were to start, but here are a few thing I can remember.
1. The more you trim the more it will grow.
2. Relax you hair ever 4 weeks.
3. Grease you scalp every night with blue magic grow grease
4. (when I decide to go natural) Natural hair doesn't grow and you want be able to wear anything other a afro or braids

2.What were the results?
1.My hair never grew passed my shoulder.

2. Dry itchy scalp
3.breakage

3.How did you turn your hair around?
1. I went natural.
2. Read and educated myself on what I was doing to my hair and learn more about products I was putting on my hair. Dos and Don't for naturals.
3. Have more patience with my hair.

Last edited:
I GO TO THE DOMINICANS ABOUT ONCE OR TWICE A MONTH WHEN MY NG IS THICK TO GET THE ROOTS BLOWN OUT

SHE TOLD ME THAT I NEEDED A PERM AND TO MAKE SURE THAT THEY LET IT COOK:perplexedHAIR COOK??:nono: NOT MY HAIR IT IS VERY THICK BUT VERY MANAGEABLE SHE ALSO SAID THAT IF I TRANSITON MY HAIR WOULD FALL OUT !!!

YOU READY FOR THE KICKER?????????AFTER SHE BLEW THE ROOTS OUT "SHE THEN TELLS ME THAT MY HAIR GREW BUT IT WOULD FALL OUT AFTER A WHILE" I JUST TOLD HER THAT IT WAS MY WISHES AND I AM NOT PERMING

WENT IN THIS WEEK AND IT WAS A LITTLE DEAD SHE WAS GETTING HER HAIR DONE AND SHE IS NATURAL:swearing:WHY IN THE HE@# WOULD SHE TELL MY TO RELAX...NO "COOK"MY HAIR BUT SHE IS NATURAL???????? IT SEEMS THAT ALOT OF WOMEN OF COLOR ARE ENCOURAGED TO RELAX AND I SEE SOME LOVELY HEADS OF LONG THICK CURLEY HEADED SPANISH WOMEN WHO THEY DO NOT ENCOUGAGE:boxing:I THINK THAT ALOT OF SPANISH WEMON KNOW BETTER THAT TO PUT THAT ISH IN THERE HAIR THEY ARE WAAAAYYY AHEAD OF US ON THATI AM ABOUT TO THROUGH SOME MICROS IN USE MY MEGA TEK AND CALL IT A DAY:grin:

My Dominican hairdresser told me not to bother transitioning, it was a waste of time. So I let her put a relaxer in my hair. Later on she confessed she didn't have a relaxer either LOL I felt like a sucka. I am Dominican too and relaxed for 26 years. I'm noticing that alot of the younger Dominican girls (20 and down) are natural and are using other techniques to do their hair. They're way ahead of the game, Me not so much LOL took me 26 years.

Me too. And my best friend knew I was trying to grow my hair out and stated, "I do to much trimming." What, I'm the expert hair Queen and learning from LHCF she was exactly right. By the way, she has APL and does post at least 12 weeks. Go Figure...

I used to go to the salon every week and get my hair blow dried and curled. One side started breaking off and in discussing it with my stylist, her first reaction was to cut it. When I didn't automatically agree to that, She gave me a long drawn out speech about how some people's hair will only grow to a certain length no matter what you do. For some reason, that whole little speech made me angry. Cutting the other side even would indeed resolve the problem for the short-term but I wanted to investigate what might be causing the breakage to prevent it from happening again.

That's when I did my research and discovered the wonderful world of LHCF!! I recently went in to get a relaxer and got all kinds of compliments from the stylist on how well my hair is growing!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
My Dominican hairdresser told me not to bother transitioning, it was a waste of time. So I let her put a relaxer in my hair. Later on she confessed she didn't have a relaxer either LOL I felt like a sucka. I am Dominican too and relaxed for 26 years. I'm noticing that alot of the younger Dominican girls (20 and down) are natural and are using other techniques to do their hair. They're way ahead of the game, Me not so much LOL took me 26 years.

WELL LETS TRADE HAIR NOW...LOL I LOVE YOURS!!!!!!
THEN I WONT HAVE TO TRANSITION:grin:

Back