My Sedu almost set my hair on fire!!

phychugirl

I am shaking so bad, you guys. :(

I bought my 1 inch Sedu in January of 2008. Today, I was flat ironing my hair and was almost done. I had accidentally dropped it twice while flat ironing, and I hoped it wouldn't die. Then, all of a sudden, sparks start shoooting from where the cord connects to the flat iron. THEN, it starts shooting FIRE! I am not kidding you!

I drop the iron as fast as possible, and quickly unplug it from the wall. It stops sparking, and the fire goes out. I was so scared!! This happened about thirty minutes ago and I'm still shaking. :'(

I am SO THANKFUL that my hair didn't catch fire. I don't know what I would've done, I probably would've cried for months. Thank God.

Ladies PLEASE BE CAREFUL!! Make sure to always inspect your appliances before you use them on your hair. I might not be so lucky next time!

That is scary! Where did you order from? I would write to the company and explain to them what happened!

First of glad you are ok.

Second do you think dropping it may have caused this. I have 1.5 in Sedu and Have never had problems. Of course I hardly use it though. This is scary. Hope you didn't order from Folica. They have terrible customer service.

Thank goodness you're okay!!!!!!!!!!

Some women who reviewed the Chi on folica.com said the same thing happened with that flat iron.

Giving a second thought to doing a flat iron with my Sedu now. I was actually just about jump in the shower and begin my straight look for the week. Now, I doubt that I can ever use my iron without some anxiety:nono:......walks away from laptop to inspect Sedu flat iron.

Last edited:
What I love is that after a traumatizing experience like that, our first instinct is to run to the computer to post a LHCF update :D I heart technology

What I love is that after a traumatizing experience like that, our first instinct is to run to the computer to post a LHCF update :D I heart technology

:lachen: We have to inform our fellow sisters of any potential danger.

Glad you and your hair are okay OP, that is a very traumatic experience.

Thank goodness you lost no hair but more importantly you didnt get shocked or anything!

I dont think its the flat iron's fault, i dont think it was a manufacturing issue, it could happen with any flat iron. You probably broke the cord open or something and the inner part was exposed, maybe you didnt realize. That will cause that sort of thing, if the inside wires are exposed. That happened to me once with a curling iron. And the fact that you said it caught fire where the cord goes into the iron suggests to me thats what happened so dont worry, it wasn't the Sedu's fault.

Glad you're okay.

Please inform the manufacturer. This may be a defect and a possible recall because this may have happened to other users, you never know.

Thanks for informing us on LCHF.

Yeah, it was more than likely my fault for dropping it twice. I'm sad, because I don't have money for a new one, but things definitely could've been much worse. Thanks for the comforting words, guys.

First of glad you are ok.

Second do you think dropping it may have caused this. I have 1.5 in Sedu and Have never had problems. Of course I hardly use it though. This is scary. Hope you didn't order from Folica. They have terrible customer service.
I haven't had any problems with my Sedu 1.5 inch either.

I made sure when I had mines to never drop it, LOL, i treat that thing better than anything I ever owned. I wrap the cord up just like they demonstrate and I still have my box for storage. i thought I read on Folica that people who were dropping their were experincing it not working. I never read one about catching fire but some of them stopped working.

I made sure when I had mines to never drop it, LOL, i treat that thing better than anything I ever owned. I wrap the cord up just like they demonstrate and I still have my box for storage. i thought I read on Folica that people who were dropping their were experincing it not working. I never read one about catching fire but some of them stopped working.

Same here.

I'm really glad that you're ok phychugirl. :yep:

Apparently you aren't the only one, I saw this review on folica.com today:

Product Rating: 4 worked great, until it blew flames near the cord
Reviewer: monica Thu Sep 24 2009

I loved my Sedu because it worked well and left my hair looking great. I used it a couple of times a week and it was great, but after about 3 years, it started turning off while I was using it. Something happened near the base where the swivel cord is; sometimes it would move a certain way and turn off. I took really good care of it, but one day it blew a huge flame out the end where the cord comes out. No kidding; it was about 3 inches and then it started to smoke and smell like burning plastic. I threw it away immediately. I'm lucky it didn't burn me. I ordered another Chi. I really did like the Sedu, but it did almost catch on fire.

Back