My Sedu almost set my hair on fire!!

Apparently you aren't the only one, I saw this review on folica.com today:

Product Rating: 4 worked great, until it blew flames near the cord
Reviewer: monica Thu Sep 24 2009

I loved my Sedu because it worked well and left my hair looking great. I used it a couple of times a week and it was great, but after about 3 years, it started turning off while I was using it. Something happened near the base where the swivel cord is; sometimes it would move a certain way and turn off. I took really good care of it, but one day it blew a huge flame out the end where the cord comes out. No kidding; it was about 3 inches and then it started to smoke and smell like burning plastic. I threw it away immediately. I'm lucky it didn't burn me. I ordered another Chi. I really did like the Sedu, but it did almost catch on fire.

I'm even more convinced now that its an electrical problem. Maybe wrapping the cord improperly broke the wires or something, thats always prretty common at the base where cord meets appliance. Not defending Sedu, dont have one or anything but i'm pretty sure its not a problem with manufacturing

I owned a Sedu and used it for just under 30days and sent back to Folica. I was not impressed at all. My hair did smell kinda like it was cooking, and my hair felt so dry and looked dull. I exchanged for a Paul Mitchell flat iron.

I'm even more convinced now that its an electrical problem. Maybe wrapping the cord improperly broke the wires or something, thats always prretty common at the base where cord meets appliance. Not defending Sedu, dont have one or anything but i'm pretty sure its not a problem with manufacturing

I don't think it is either. With most appliances, especially those that create heat, once that cord starts to short out, it's in your best interest to get rid of it. If it's under warranty, exchange for a new one. If it's not, then just throw it out. Don't use it, firstly, because it's annoying to have to keep that wire in one position all the time. And secondly, because the cord is shorting out because the wires inside are frayed. And frayed wires make flames. End of story.

And even if OP told Sedu what happened, they would hit her with the Kanye shrug and keep it moving. In the manual, it says not to use the iron if you've dropped it, which is really unrealistic advice, but still...they would just be like...well we told you so.

I'm glad you're okay though, OP. :yep:

omg :nono: Thank God ur OK!!

and RIP 2 ur Sedu.

:burning::burning: If that happened 2 me I would've cried too girl

so :bighug:

That's the thing, these heat appliances are so powerful, yet most of them are poorly made and it sucks because we spend a crap load of $$ to have it blow up on you/burn your hair off. :nono:

Which model did u have?? The Revolution or the original model type?? Just curious cause I have both and :love2: my Sedu's...

And I am extra careful with my cords, like I'm super anal about the way I store them (NEVER wrap it around, stored in a heat-resistant pouch at a specific angle to keep the tension/ stress on the cord to a minimum). But I'm not sure if that even makes a difference cause I've heard stories that it doesn't matter how careful u are with the cord, they can still catch fire :cry4:

And even if OP told Sedu what happened, they would hit her with the Kanye shrug and keep it moving. In the manual, it says not to use the iron if you've dropped it, which is really unrealistic advice, but still...they would just be like...well we told you so.

I'm glad you're okay though, OP. :yep:

^^ Agreed
:yep:

No it is not your fault. Even if you DID drop the flatiron twice, that still does not warrant creating a fire hazard. Sedus are defective, i'm sorry. they are! My story is similiar...I had a 2in sedu, and everytime i'd turn it on, itd automatically shut off by itself and it would blow my circuit breakers upstairs. then it started making like fizzing popping noises, so i just stopped using it. Please post your story on folica so others can be warned, and please contact the manufacturer and maybe some consumer group or something. I hate the fact that these so called "ceramic" flat irons cost an arm and a leg, but yet they are poorly made and even dangerous. hell, my $12 gold'n hot has lasted well over 8yrs.....

Same thing happen to me with my Sedu over the summer! Here is the thread I started about it: My Sedu burned up on me!

I now have a Chi, which I like but I really loved my Sedu. I don't know if I would ever buy another Sedu though, they are really defective.

No it is not your fault. Even if you DID drop the flatiron twice, that still does not warrant creating a fire hazard. Sedus are defective, i'm sorry. they are! My story is similiar...I had a 2in sedu, and everytime i'd turn it on, itd automatically shut off by itself and it would blow my circuit breakers upstairs. then it started making like fizzing popping noises, so i just stopped using it. Please post your story on folica so others can be warned, and please contact the manufacturer and maybe some consumer group or something. I hate the fact that these so called "ceramic" flat irons cost an arm and a leg, but yet they are poorly made and even dangerous. hell, my $12 gold'n hot has lasted well over 8yrs.....

I just have to ask, how old was it? If it was new, and it wasn't working, you should have sent it back right away. You shouldn't have kept on using it, because if it's blowing circuits, it's probably not the safest thing. And even if it was new and didn't work, of course, there are always going to be bad units in a bunch. That doesn't mean that the whole company makes bad things. The Chi has been known to light itself on fire too, but generally, Chi makes good stuff.

Same thing happen to me with my Sedu over the summer! Here is the thread I started about it: My Sedu burned up on me!

I now have a Chi, which I like but I really loved my Sedu. I don't know if I would ever buy another Sedu though, they are really defective.

Your Sedu was old though. I think they're under warranty for one year when bought from a certified seller, and folica will insure it for two, but yours was three years old. If you used it for those three years, and it served you faithfully and with no issues, I don't think it's fair for you to call it defective. Like all things do, it simply broke down.

Scary! Glad you're ok. I've dropped my Sedu more times than I can count, nothing bad has happened thankfully.

Oh my that would be so scary. I'm glad nothing in your home caught on fire. That could have turned out horrible.

Back