My Phyto and hennalucent nightmare (long vent)

Keen

My last relaxer was in November. My plan was to stretch out till June because I was doing the braids challenge and I wanted to see if I could get away with stretching that long. I had braids since Jan 9th. I usually wear my braids for 3 to 4 weeks then take them out and do them over. But I was so busy I kept them for 6 weeks, BAD IDEA. I conditioner washed twice a week, moisturize daily, and sutged twice a day so I thought I was good to go. When I took those braids out, my hair sheded like crazy. My hair has never shed that much. Not even when I use to not wash my hair while I was wearing braids. My new growths were so harsh and unmanageable I decided to relax before braiding again. I had to wait at least a week to relax because the surge messed up my scalp. I used two bottle of surge before with no side effect. I usually mix it with rosemary but I was out so I just used plain surge. Another BAD IDEA. My scalp was sore so I had to wait for it to heal. In the mid-time, I ordered my phyto and hennalucent and couldn't wait to use them. The phyto came in Friday so Saturday was my relax and coloring day.

Mistake #1 - I decided to use half of the relaxer since it cost $60, I was trying to get two use out of it. My roommate had already worn me it wasn't enough since my newgrow was so thick but I told her to try and that we would mix some more if needed. When she was applying it she kept saying that it was caking. The mix was drying on my hair. No one mention that on their reviews (at least not that I remembered) . A little piece of the mix fell on my arm and within a couple of minutes it dried! So I started to panic but I calmed down because it was Phyto. I had small white flakes all over my hair from the relaxer. The flakes look like snow flakes but a bith thicker. I decided to leave the relaxer on my hair a little bit longer since my roomate wasn't convince it was warking. When it decided to wash shortly because I didn't want my hair to damage.

After I rinsed and neutralized my hair was so harsh. But I figured a good condioner would take care of it. Even though the lather was white, I still had some of those flakes on my hair. I decided to proceed to coloring anyway.

Mistake #2 - The hennalucent did not say how much water to use it just said to make a creamy mix. So I did. I mixed it with some boiling water and olive oil. My roommate ran out of the mix, she said it wasn't enough. So we had to add more water to my hair to make the mix run to my ends. Still she was not convinced that my ends got enough so she thought I was going to endup with an uneven color. I left the mix on my hair for 30 Mins. I didn't want my hair to dark.

Mistake #3 - I let my roomate rinse my hair. I decided to rinse in the kitchen sink because I didn't want my tub stain. Since I never rinse my hair in the kitchen sink I let my roommate dot it. She was rubbing in back and forth motion while she was shampooing and rinsing the shampoo out. I told her not to do it but she still did it. After she was done, I openned my eyes and did not see any hair in front of me so I touch my head and I couldn't believe what I was feeling. My hair felt like sheep wool. I dreaded looking in the mirror because I know what I was going to see. When I looked, my fear was confirmed my hair was so matted I thought I was going to have to cut all of it off. I prayed and I prayed and I prayed some more because I didn't know what to do. :confused: :(:cry2::cry2::cry::cry:

I decided to proceed with the milky reconstructor. I was so anxious to untangle my hair, I only left it on there for 5 minutes. After I rinse it, my hair didn't feel any better. I remember that one member said that the NTM conditioner saved her from tangles so I reached for mine anf got in the shower. I had half a jar left. I used all of it. My hair felt better so I started combing it out. I was really careful and chuncks were coming out. I lost A LOT of hair but not as much as I feared. Usually I don't loose much hair when I relax. When I rinse the conditioner out, I was surprise that my hair wasn't as silker as usually when I use NTM so I decided to go back in the shower with my roommate's Biolage detangler. That didn't do anything. I used my Keracare silk and seal serum, that didn't help much. I used my NTM leave-in. That didn't do much either. I just decided to stop there because my hair usually respond well to NTM. By that that I was so frustrated I decided to blow dry instead of roller set. But my roommate convince me to roller set since I haven't used a blow dryer since I joined this website.

The hennalucent color didn't take too well but I think it is because I didn't leave it on there long enough. My relaxer took a little but I have many holiday spots. I think I will need a corrective application after a few weeks. I want to use phyto to do the corrective treatment but I don't think the half application i have will be enough. I may buy another box so that I can use the whole box on my hair to see if I will get will get a favorable result. As of now, I don't have anything to to say about this relaxer but I will give all one more try and use it under normal circomstance. Later I remembered that last time I used half of a relaxer, I got a lot of holiday spots. I still have the other half of the relaxer. That's the only reason I will try Phyto once more because I halfed it and did not use the whole box.

Last edited:
wow. sorry that happened like that! was your hair tangle-free before you applied the relaxer? i know coloring your hair makes it rough and tangly too, so that may hav been why.

"As we near the end of Black Hair History Month....I do my final bumping...

I think my work has reaped some progress...yes...there were some who still dared to purchase, with intent to use on their heads, the hair terror...Phytorelaxer....

but they do so at their own risk and I'm sure they will not come back with tales of...aw hells bells...please re-read the apology for everything that could possibly happen to you if you use this devil product."

Rest In Peace
PhytoRelaxer Train
February 2005

this was excerpted from following thread:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=856132&highlight=MonaLisa#post856132

Sorry this happened to you. I tried to warn people.

I've used hennalucent two times, and I loved it both times. I didn't have any problems with it at all. I mixed mine with boiling water and olive oil too. However, I did my first hennalucent (April 25, 2003) treatment six days after I got a relaxer touch up. I did my second hennalucent treatment was done on July 3, 2003. I stopped doing hennalucent treatments when I got my fist permie color (February 7, 2004).

Goodness gracious!! I a sorry this happened. I hope things will get better for you. I noticed you said you were surging, Did you stop surging at least a week before putting in the relaxer? I think it is best to do this before relaxing.

27. Can PhytoRelaxer be used on previously highlighted, or color treated hair?
The current color and more importantly, the overall condition of the hair will determine if the hair is ready for relaxers. Relaxers should be applied to healthy hair, and it is recommended to go to a professional stylist for a consultation prior to application. PhytoRelaxer should never be used on highlighted, bleached, or henna treated hair or on hair dyed with products containing metallic substances.

I got this from the Phyto website. Was this your first time using henna?

hOnii, my hair wasn't tangled but it was really hard getting a comb through my new growth. I did experience some burning but I thought it was because my roomate had a hard time parating my new growth.

Mona, I guess you're not crazy afterall

Allandra, the main reason I used hennalucent is because it was natural. I will try one more time (never on the same day that I relax again). I think the hennalucent application came out bad because I didn't put enough water on there and my hair was already harsh after the newtralizing shampoo.

Mrslee, I stop surging a week before I took my braids out. So wasn't surging for the last two weeks before my relaxer.

I felt like all my LHCF progress just went down the drain and I was making pretty good progress.

Nice, I didn't have any color on my hair. Last time I colored was a temporary rinse last July. I relaxed before I colored. My hair was in decent condition, there was hardly any overlapping and my roommate has been relaxing my hair for the last 5 years. She has also applied a few semi-permanent colors. Nothing like this ever happen. But she has never rinse out my hair and she never will again....

Nice said:
The current color and more importantly, the overall condition of the hair will determine if the hair is ready for relaxers. Relaxers should be applied to healthy hair, and it is recommended to go to a professional stylist for a consultation prior to application. PhytoRelaxer should never be used on highlighted, bleached, or henna treated hair or on hair dyed with products containing metallic substances.

Keen said:
Mona, I guess you're not crazy afterall

Eh...lol. I did my mission statement because it seems like people started using this and it was the devil to their hair. I'm hoping that everyone starts to think of it as the devil product so my beloved product will no longer be ...awww...please refer to mission statement thread, it's all there.

I absolutlely love this product and have not experienced one problem with it...but I by no means am promoting, pushing or recommending this product.

*creeping back out*

Nice said:

its safe to use hennalucent tho right???

Keen said:
...the main reason I used hennalucent is because it was natural.

My understanding is that hennalucent is not natural like plain henna. Hennalucent contains metals and should be used with caution.

I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Lots of moisture balanced out with protein should help.

Keen said:
My last relaxer was in November. My plan was to stretch out till June because I was doing the braids challenge and I wanted to see if I could get away with stretching that long. I had braids since Jan 9th. I usually wear my braids for 3 to 4 weeks then take them out and do them over. But I was so busy I kept them for 6 weeks, BAD IDEA. I conditioner washed twice a week, moisturize daily, and sutged twice a day so I thought I was good to go. When I took those braids out, my hair sheded like crazy. My hair has never shed that much. Not even when I use to not wash my hair while I was wearing braids. My new growths were so harsh and unmanageable I decided to relax before braiding again. I had to wait at least a week to relax because the surge messed up my scalp. I used two bottle of surge before with no side effect. I usually mix it with rosemary but I was out so I just used plain surge. Another BAD IDEA. My scalp was sore so I had to wait for it to heal. In the mid-time, I ordered my phyto and hennalucent and couldn't wait to use them. The phyto came in Friday so Saturday was my relax and coloring day.

Mistake #1 - I decided to use half of the relaxer since it cost $60, I was trying to get two use out of it. My roommate had already worn me it wasn't enough since my newgrow was so thick but I told her to try and that we would mix some more if needed. When she was applying it she kept saying that it was caking. The mix was drying on my hair. No one mention that on their reviews (at least not that I remembered) . A little piece of the mix fell on my arm and within a couple of minutes it dried! So I started to panic but I calmed down because it was Phyto. I had small white flakes all over my hair from the relaxer. The flakes look like snow flakes but a bith thicker. I decided to leave the relaxer on my hair a little bit longer since my roomate wasn't convince it was warking. When it decided to wash shortly because I didn't want my hair to damage.

After I rinsed and neutralized my hair was so harsh. But I figured a good condioner would take care of it. Even though the lather was white, I still had some of those flakes on my hair. I decided to proceed to coloring anyway.

Mistake #2 - The hennalucent did not say how much water to use it just said to make a creamy mix. So I did. I mixed it with some boiling water and olive oil. My roommate ran out of the mix, she said it wasn't enough. So we had to add more water to my hair to make the mix run to my ends. Still she was not convinced that my ends got enough so she thought I was going to endup with an uneven color. I left the mix on my hair for 30 Mins. I didn't want my hair to dark.

Mistake #3 - I let my roomate rinse my hair. I decided to rinse in the kitchen sink because I didn't want my tub stain. Since I never rinse my hair in the kitchen sink I let my roommate dot it. She was rubbing in back and forth motion while she was shampooing and rinsing the shampoo out. I told her not to do it but she still did it. After she was done, I openned my eyes and did not see any hair in front of me so I touch my head and I couldn't believe what I was feeling. My hair felt like sheep wool. I dreaded looking in the mirror because I know what I was going to see. When I looked, my fear was confirmed my hair was so matted I thought I was going to have to cut all of it off. I prayed and I prayed and I prayed some more because I didn't know what to do. :confused: :(:cry2::cry2::cry::cry:

I decided to proceed with the milky reconstructor. I was so anxious to untangle my hair, I only left it on there for 5 minutes. After I rinse it, my hair didn't feel any better. I remember that one member said that the NTM conditioner saved her from tangles so I reached for mine anf got in the shower. I had half a jar left. I used all of it. My hair felt better so I started combing it out. I was really careful and chuncks were coming out. I lost A LOT of hair but not as much as I feared. Usually I don't loose much hair when I relax. When I rinse the conditioner out, I was surprise that my hair wasn't as silker as usually when I use NTM so I decided to go back in the shower with my roommate's Biolage detangler. That didn't do anything. I used my Keracare silk and seal serum, that didn't help much. I used my NTM leave-in. That didn't do much either. I just decided to stop there because my hair usually respond well to NTM. By that that I was so frustrated I decided to blow dry instead of roller set. But my roommate convince me to roller set since I haven't used a blow dryer since I joined this website.

The hennalucent color didn't take too well but I think it is because I didn't leave it on there long enough. My relaxer took a little but I have many holiday spots. I think I will need a corrective application after a few weeks. I want to use phyto to do the corrective treatment but I don't think the half application i have will be enough. I may buy another box so that I can use the whole box on my hair to see if I will get will get a favorable result. As of now, I don't have anything to to say about this relaxer but I will give all one more try and use it under normal circomstance. Later I remembered that last time I used half of a relaxer, I got a lot of holiday spots. I still have the other half of the relaxer. That's the only reason I will try Phyto once more because I halfed it and did not use the whole box.

Keen I'm really sorrry to hear you had such a bad hair experience. Here's what I think went wrong.

First of all, I wouldn't worry so much about the excess shedding after removing the braids. Remember, you kep them in 2 weeks longer than usual, which will = more shedding. That's normal. Also I didn't notice that you used any oils with Surge to counteract the drying effects of the protein contianed in Surge. This is critical. This is probably why your scalp was irritated.

Secondly I don't see where you actually washed your hair during braids or after removal. To me it sounds as if your hair had alot of buildup prior to relaxing. That coupled with the Surge (protein overload) and not washing is a recipe for disaster. You have to wash that stuff out of your hair. I have no idea what cause the relaxer to cake up like that, but it could have been the product buildup already present on your strands.

Lastly, Hennalucent is a protein. It is not advisable to put protein in your hair right after a relaxer. Wheat protein is OK as it's very mild, but anything harsh, no. Henna can be drying, which is why people mix oils with it. Protein strengthens the hair and has the ability to penetrate as well as coat hair strands. Which in turn gives the hair a different feel (underprocessed hair).

Don't worry the hair journey is one of learning. We've all had our share of setbacks. Try not to stress too much about this. Your hair will be fine. Lay off the protein for a few weeks and give your hair lots of moisture and TLC :)

Hennalucent does not contain metals. I believe that is one of the claims on the box. I know that it can make the hair hard. I used to do mine on relaxing day also.

Armyqt, I think I'm going to lay off the hennalucent and use Sebastian colorshine instead. I washed my hair at least once a week the first 4 weeks and twice/week the last two. I washed my hair immidiately after I took out the braids and twice thereafter. The last time was 48 hrs before my relaxer. What really bothered me with the relaxer was the caking up. No body else reported that it was caking (drying) on their hair:perplexed

Keen said:
Armyqt, I think I'm going to lay off the hennalucent and use Sebastian colorshine instead. I washed my hair at least once a week the first 4 weeks and twice/week the last two. I washed my hair immidiately after I took out the braids and twice thereafter. The last time was 48 hrs before my relaxer. What really bothered me with the relaxer was the caking up. No body else reported that it was caking (drying) on their hair:perplexed

Keen, did you wash with shampoo or just CO? BTW, is your ahir doing any better today?

karezone said:
Hennalucent does not contain metals. I believe that is one of the claims on the box. I know that it can make the hair hard. I used to do mine on relaxing day also.

Why would the box say it contains metals if it doesn't? What is the difference between Hennalucent and henna?

:confused:

SVT said:
Why would the box say it contains metals if it doesn't? What is the difference between Hennalucent and henna?

:confused:

Nevermind. I read your answer wrong, karezone.

I'm gonna go digging around because I'm almost 100% sure that I read Hennalucent contains metallic salts.

SVT said:
Nevermind. I read your answer wrong, karezone.

I'm gonna go digging around because I'm almost 100% sure that I read Hennalucent contains metallic salts.

I don't think so. It contains a lot of staining agents but correct if I am wrong.

Okay, karezone. I figured it out. I wasn't aware that Hennalucent had reformulated its product. :blush: The new Hennalucent does not contain metallic salts.

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?p=449628&highlight=hennalucent#post449628

HennaJoy

Re: Henna on relaxed hair

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

You can use henna on relaxed hair. You want to make sure it is 100% natural henna powder. The 100% natural henna powder will both color and strengthen the hair. Hennalucent has two types of Hennalucent. One does indeed contain metallic salts and should be avoided. The other was developed later to get rid of the metallic salts.

Armyqt said:
Keen, did you wash with shampoo or just CO? BTW, is your ahir doing any better today?

The wash right after I took the braids was shampoo and co. the next two washes were just CO wash. After the last co wash, I only put some NTM leave-in on my ends and that was all.

Yes my hair is doing much better. I only get a couple of strands when I comb it. I was hoping to wear my hair out for a couple of weeks after the relaxer but it was back to my phony pony the next day.

Sorry about your experience BUT don't be so cheap and not use the whole application. If Phyto is too expensive then you need to find something cheaper so you can use the whole container.

in the directions for the phyto and ion the website it clearly states not to use the henna. it says it should not be used on hair that has been henna treated.
sorry to hear that but perhaps you should leave the chemicals to the professionals

Back