MY worst nightmare- VENT (LONG)

Ms_Delikate said:
i am really sorry to hear about your experience ... I am in the process of a 4 month stretch ( I hope) and I am seriously considering self relaxing. I went to a salon a couple days ago and as soon as I sat in the chair and told the ***** I wanted a deep condition she is trying to convince me that I needed a touch up...I just got up and walked away (saying to myself...they dont know me anyway:lol: ) I know how hard it is to walk out of a salon with errbody staring at you but I just tell myself I dont have to see these people again.
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

Your post had me screaming with laughter. I tried to imagine them staring at you as you walked out.

Henrietta, your hair is growing, even as you read this post. You will get over this set back.

Last edited:
Omigosh, I am SO sorry to hear about this Henrietta! But, as the other ladies mentioned, take this as a learning experience. You now know what to do and not to do with your hair:).

And don't be afraid to self-relax! I started self-relaxing recently after years of going to a stylist who overprocessed me:mad:. I've done my last 2 relaxers - and they weren't perfect, but I'm getting there (but hey, at least I didn't overprocess!:lol:). You can take control of your hair, with great success. All you need is some practice and patience!

yeah I learned my lesson with stretching relaxers... always comb new growth:( but I am still stretching my relaxers b/c it is healthier for my hair. I also can comb my newgrowth better when it's wet and when I rollerset to get under the dome dryer.. the heat straightens my new growth so that it can be combed. On most days I do finger comb to style but when my hair is wet the new growth untangles better for me than that of dry hair...atleast this is what works for me:)

also I no longer go to a stylist! I get my mom to apply my relaxers.

Henrietta, I'm so sorry for your set back too.

Just as some of the ladies already said, consider this a lesson learned and move forward toward your goal with a new attitude. Baby your hair now that you have a fresh start. Detangle it whenever it needs it using a wide-tooth comb, preferably a bone comb or shower comb. And deep condition often. If you are learning to stretch. Try adding on one week to your stretch at a time to see how your hair responds.

I agree that you should consider learning how to self relax. I have been doing my own for years. And my daughter and I take turns doing each others hair sometimes, just to make sure we are not overlapping.

Practicing with a heavy, creamy conditioning is an excellent idea.

I wish you great success. Hang in there. You will be back on track before you know it.

You ladies are the best.
Thanks for all the advise. I shouldnt discount all salons but i ONLY go to salons for touch ups. I do the rest by myself (with one finger on the LHCF search button for advise and tips;))
I have since realised that no one is going to take as much care with my hair as i'm going to.
I will be stalking all open fotkis for tips on self relaxing...and practising with conditioner from this week.

preciousjewel76 said:
Omigosh, I am SO sorry to hear about this Henrietta! But, as the other ladies mentioned, take this as a learning experience. You now know what to do and not to do with your hair:).

And don't be afraid to self-relax! I started self-relaxing recently after years of going to a stylist who overprocessed me:mad:. I've done my last 2 relaxers - and they weren't perfect, but I'm getting there (but hey, at least I didn't overprocess!:lol:). You can take control of your hair, with great success. All you need is some practice and patience!

Thanks for this... I will be taking control of my hair fully from now on

SophiaRose said:
((((((HUGS)))))
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.
I just completed a 1st, 12 week stretch as well. I self relaxed.
What helped me best, in those last 6 weeks, was to slather suave tropical coconut CON on dry hair.
I would not wash it out.
I would do this everyday, no rinsing, just slather, smooth and bun.
On day 3, I would rinse/detangler under the shower-stream.
I started using a shower comb, but at times would my fingers, then the comb, to detangle.
I would do a quick protein tx (ION), while in the shower, wash my body (10min), then rinse my hair.
I would allow hair to air dry 100%.
Than start the cheapy CON, slathered on dry hair 3 day routine again.
I had to graduate to adding oil to the CON, and even cones, when it got rough, like around week 9-12.
I did break down around week 11 and blow dried my hair, too much breakage, wont do that again.
Week 12, I was ready to see some progress and relaxed.
I used ORS.
I first based with LIV (it's thinner than vaseline, thus easier to part thru your hair), from scalp & root- to ends. Then I appled cheapy CON to my whole head roots to tips.
Then i applied oil, all over.
Then I applied the relaxer to only the NG, I did a texlax, using half the recommended time.
But, I learned, that with all that protection, I could have relaxed for 30 minutes vs. 20, and would have still have had a 75% relaxed texture over 30 minutes.
The only thing I will do different next time, is to do a protein tx, before I relax.
I neutralized for like 2 hours, about 5 washes, letting it sit. When i rinsed the last time, my hair was baby soft, like i didn't even need the conditioner.
I CON'd for abt 15 minutes, no heat.
For my first wash, on day 3, I will do another nuetralizing poo (ORS poo is a nuetrlizer as well), a AVC rinse, a deep CON w/ heat, and a aphogee protein tx. Airdry.
For a detangling leave in, I just discovered, ELASTA-QP, H-TWO (bottle reads: leave-in moisture sealing conditioner, softens, detangles, moisturizes, it's light weight, and contains silk proteins @ Sally's).
Since i haven't found the perfect moisturizing cream, I am using up some pj-ism stuff, and seal w/ oil, and bun.
But my true love is cones and oil, i fugure with a good conditioner, i'm good to go, but i would still like to find a perfect, lightweight moisturizer
I don't plan to stop wearing my bun's until fully am BSL = crown reaches BSL.
This will be another 12 week stretch as well.
Cheapy CON, made it possible and shower detangling.
I hope I have helped you, again i am sorry, the hair dresser was heartless.

I also bought a very nice sally's 1" ceramic flatiron, for 29.99, cant afford a chi, fhi, maxiglide or babyliss right now...it is the best kept secret to blow-in-the-wind-hair. I will be treating myself to 3 blow-out/flat-iron styles, once a month.

Don't give up, when i needed length, i would just throw on my half wig, for a few days.

Thanks for taking time out to type this detailed response.
I'm printing it out;)

Back