My new protective style, Crochets! (Pics Inside)

soon2bsl

So after checking out recent threads of the "new age" crochets, and watching YT videos of them, I was inspired to get them done. I think this will be a great protective style, that I'm hoping to keep in a month. I haven't had crochets in about 10 years. I used the Freetress Water Wave 4/30. I initally used 2 packs, but it seemed like so much hair, that I took out some. My mom did them for me, but we stopped and started so much that I just finished up the top part. Thanks to BMP and others on the board for bringing crochets back! :)

Last edited:
Gorgeous!! How long will you keep this style?

Thanks DigitalRain! I plan on keeping them in for a month and still moisturizing daily and DC once a week. I'll shampoo as needed.

Wow I absolutely love them! Great job.

Thanks BMP! :) What gel did you use for yours? I used the IC Fantasia Gel on it, and although it says non-flaking, I've been seeing some white flakes in the hair after using the gel to smooth it yesterday.

I used this gel:

B10985.jpg

For the water wave hair you should stay away from gels and products that have moisturizing properties in them like glycerine because it'll just sit on the synthetic hair....i feel like all of em have a little flakiness to them...can't really avoid it....as long as its not ridiculous I just roll with it...you can always spritz with water:yep:

I really like your crochets!!! I think I'm gonna try this. If I can find a style where I don't have to do anything w/ my hair for a month, I will be a very happy person! :grin:

Beautiful! They don't even look like crochets! You gotta great color for u too.

Aww thanks Detroitdiva. Yeah I wanted to try hair with some color because I haven't used color in a while. My sew ins and half wigs I've been wearing match my regular hair color, so it's a good way to have fun with color, but without actually dying/highlighting it.

I used this gel:

B10985.jpg

For the water wave hair you should stay away from gels and products that have moisturizing properties in them like glycerine because it'll just sit on the synthetic hair....i feel like all of em have a little flakiness to them...can't really avoid it....as long as its not ridiculous I just roll with it...you can always spritz with water:yep:

Thanks for the info! I remember that Ampro gel, I used to use that pre-LHCF. I'll have to pick some up tomorrow.
ETA: Just looked in my bathroom cabinet found I still have some Ampro gel. :)

Last edited:
Your crochets look awesome! Couple of questions:

1) Can you describe the cornrow pattern you used under the hair?

2) It was my understanding that crochets couldn't be washed (I'm assuming because they'd get tangled - but I could be wrong) how are going to shampoo/DC your hair?

Thanks SvelteVelvet! This hair is Freetress Water Wave. I've seen the Freetress Bohemian online and it seems like they look similar.

I must be sleepy because I just saw that you put the type in your OP :spinning: sorry for having you repeat yourself.

wow looks wonderful..im inspired to get some now if they can come out like this

Take the plunge! It's actually quite easy if you know how to cornrow (which I don't) and if you use a beader. Check out youtube for vids with the beader. I think it is much easier to use than a latch hook.

Your crochets look awesome! Couple of questions:

1) Can you describe the cornrow pattern you used under the hair?

2) It was my understanding that crochets couldn't be washed (I'm assuming because they'd get tangled - but I could be wrong) how are going to shampoo/DC your hair?

1.)Thanks islandchile! We just did 14 cornrows going back. However I did a slanted part in the front so the hair could fall more toward my face, so where the part is those braids all to the left of my part, kind of went more at angle then back. I braided up the ends of my hair into one braid and tucked it under with a bobby pin. Hope that makes sense!

2.) No, you can actually wash crochets. I learned you can wash them and the hair holds up pretty well from BlackMasterPiece's thread when she did them. I plan on following this to wash/DC. It's basically how I've already been taking care of my hair when I have a sew-in. Here's her blog where she explains how she took care of her hair with crochets, http://blackmasterpiece.com/.

I must be sleepy because I just saw that you put the type in your OP :spinning: sorry for having you repeat yourself.

Lol no prob. :)

Beautiful and they look so natural! This style should def be a keeper for you, you do it really well!

Thanks MsMwana! It sure is going to be a keeper. This and sew ins will be my main protective style.

Also, all you ladies that mentioned you want to try crochets really should. It's so easy to do such a low maintenance protective style, where you all your hair is protected.

Last edited:
Back