My hair Smells Like a Perm

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't apply heat to my hair unless it is freshly washed. I thought that the general consensus was that applying heat to not-freshly-washed, dirty, or sweaty hair was bad. If you do, you're ironing dirt, smells your hair has accumulated, sweat that can be drying, and/or product build-up onto your hair :nono:.

I don't feel it is the general consensus. I know plenty of women that will flat iron hair that is not freshly washed. I wash my hair frequently enough. I wash my hair on a Sunday, let's say I roller wrap it. I may wear my hair pinned up for a few days. I will take it down and flat iron the roots. My hair performs best when it is freshly washed.

Now now, that doesn't read like tough skin to me.

Some of y'all would NEVER survive on the other boards I post in. Never, they would tear you up and have you calling Jesus.

Luckily our Mods don't allow the foolishness you see on the other boards. And yes they might get away with it on other boards but it is so wrong. Why is it even necessary? It's highschool.:rolleyes:

I don't feel it is the general consensus. I know plenty of women that will flat iron hair that is not freshly washed. I wash my hair frequently enough. I wash my hair on a Sunday, let's say I roller wrap it. I may wear my hair pinned up for a few days. I will take it down and flat iron the roots. My hair performs best when it is freshly washed.

IDK, I don't think direct heat on dirty hair is a good practice, but if your hair is healthy, you know what's best for it.

Now now, that doesn't read like tough skin to me.

Some of y'all would NEVER survive on the other boards I post in. Never, they would tear you up and have you calling Jesus.

Sweetie, trust and believe I can hold my own so I probably wouldn't have any problems being on some of the boards you referenced. Folks get really bold on a board. I would love to see how they really are in real life. My online personality and offline personality are one and the same.

I do too. People are making it seem like you hadn't washed your hair in 2 weeks or even a week. You had just washed your hair on Saturday...I think it was the combo of the blowout and the maxiglide.

I hardly ever flat iron or curl anymore (I rollerset only), but when I did, it was only on freshly washed and conditioned hair. Flat ironing sweaty roots is a recipe for breakage. And to me, sounds like the equivalent of putting lotion on your skin after a workout without bathing. :nono:

You were getting your GED a couple of posts back...

:huh::thatsall: is there a "WTF?" emoticon on this board?

Anyway, i remember when i had my maxiglide, i remember that burned smell. I was also natural and my hair was freshly washed. Maybe that contributed to me using it only 3 times or so. And i had my setting on 3!!!

Thank you very much. It takes a lot more effort to be nice and graceful. Trust and believe, if I was responding with mean comments this thread would be closed and I would get a watch your step PM from the Mods. :grin: I have done enough bickering on this board in the past. I am reaching for higher ground.

As my man Jay Z says, two angry wise men arguing on a hill look like two idiots arguing.

Jay said "A wise man once told me dont argue with fools, cause from a distance you cant tell who is who"

I know what exactly what you mean.

If you only needed to retouch your hair the next day I wouldn't go through the whole process of washing to flat iron it again. Especially if you are natural, flat ironing takes a lot of work! You'd just be back at square one.

Anyway, i remember when i had my maxiglide, i remember that burned smell. I was also natural and my hair was freshly washed. Maybe that contributed to me using it only 3 times or so. And i had my setting on 3!!!

That meant that she was joining in on the "high school" behavior

:werd:
Yeah, I know.

Here's a thought, unless your hair is freshly washed most of you are flat ironing or curling dirty hair. In the spring time, your hair will have pollen on it unless you are washing your hair or weave every night. Ladies that sport weaves and don’t wash their hair; you are flat ironing dirty hair.

It you got some good loving the night before and sweated your hair a little bit. You get up the next morning and bumped up your ends or retouch up your hair with a flat iron. Same thing. My hair wasn't drenched in sweat. I have flat ironed my hair before mid week after workouts, no horrible smell.

I am not perfect. I make grammatical errors too. I wish I could be as fortunate as some of you brilliant ladies and never make an error. :perplexed

Now I understand what you mean. When I work out usually in the end I am drenched in sweat and so is my hair. I only put heat on my hair on Saturday (if then) after I do my wash routine, but in the past when I did curl and flatiron often my hair would smell if the heat setting was too high.

No offense, but is this a hair forum or a grammar forum?:look:

What I meant was if your comment isn't going to help anyone, just keep it to yourself- we are here to talk about hair not grammar.

I have a Maxiglide and I haven't experienced any burnt smell on my hair. Make sure you are cleaning your Maxiglide after each use.

Don't know about the maxiglide but I have a flat iron that leaves me with a horrible burnt smell for hours on freshly washed hair. The only thing I add to my hair is heat protectant and leavin. Needless to say I tossed that cheap iron and I am waiting to use my new Sedu that came in the mail yesterday.

My Maxiglide is new and it leaves a burnt smell. That is why I can't get with it. I haev tried several times. It is just not like my FHI which does not smell like anything.

Basically, my hair does not get straight on the lower settings on the Maxiglide, but the higher settings are just too hot and leave a smell.

I've experienced this smell with a Maxiglide as well. I had just washed my hair. I think the products i used caused the smell, because sometimes there is no smell. Country girl, u aren't the only one who has flat ironed dirty hair and you won't be the last. Just continue using your Andis since it works best for you. :yep:

I know what exactly what you mean.

If you only needed to retouch your hair the next day I wouldn't go through the whole process of washing to flat iron it again. Especially if you are natural, flat ironing takes a lot of work! You'd just be back at square one.

Exactly. My hair is not relaxed. Blowdrying it straight and then following up with flat iron is very time consuming. One of my co-workers said my hair smelled pretty today. She said it didn't smell bad yesterday it just smelled like perm. I am not sure if her perms smells like the ones I used in the past.

I am glad to hear I am not the only one experiencing this issue with Maxi Glide. It smells even on freshly washed hair. I had it on a low setting because I wanted just quickly bump the ends.

My hair still smells like a Perm. I have washed it throughly with Clarifying shampoo and washed it 3 more times with the moisturing shampoo. It still smells. So the dirty hair comments were not even the problem. I really think it was how my hair was blown out on Saturday. My son is telling me my hair stinks. :perplexed

Last edited:
Back