My hair Smells Like a Perm

Re: My hair Spells Like a Perm

I get what you are saying. Here is the problem. I have worned my hair straight before. I have also restraighted my hair the next morning after a workout with out washing my hair. It spells the same way my hair did on Saturday when I had a dominican blowout.

I think the blow out is the source of the smell. That's the only thing you've done different than before.

When I use the maxiglide my hair typically smells like whatever heat protectant I use....generally artificial coconut. I haven't flat ironed my hair without washing it first.

:lachen:, i just cant fathom..... why does this thread crack me up so badly, its always this word stuff that cracks me up, i remember my 8th grade teacher Mrs. Elman LOL was reading some word and she read it wrong by one letter and it sounded so funny , for like a year or more after whenever i remembered it , i'd start laughing.. i need help:spinning: but anyway someone , anyone , please what is "spell" doing wherever spell should be? Is it for good luck?? Or are you trying to put a "spell" on us??:look:

you did it too....see, typos happen all the time....:yep:

I agree with a lot of the ladies here in saying that it is not a good idea to flat iron dirty or sweaty hair. Even though it might not smell you never know what damage you are doing to your hair. No offense, but is this a hair forum or a grammar forum?:look:

Last edited:
Here's a thought, unless your hair is freshly washed most of you are flat ironing or curling dirty hair. In the spring time, your hair will have pollen on it unless you are washing your hair or weave every night. Ladies that sport weaves and don’t wash their hair; you are flat ironing dirty hair.

It you got some good loving the night before and sweated your hair a little bit. You get up the next morning and bumped up your ends or retouch up your hair with a flat iron. Same thing. My hair wasn't drenched in sweat. I have flat ironed my hair before mid week after workouts, no horrible smell.

I am not perfect. I make grammatical errors too. I wish I could be as fortunate as some of you brilliant ladies and never make an error. :perplexed

I was also going to ask about the temp of the iron. I love my maxi, my hair never smells burnt after I straighten.

The temperature was set to 5. I do remember using Maxiglide before and not like the smell. It smelled like burnt hair. It is the first time I have used a maxiglide and went directly to work. I usually use my Andis.

The smell might be because of your products. Sometimes you can smell them burning or heating up. It might not necessarily be your hair burning. Or be from sweat. Or if your appliances have a product build up it will smell like that. I think it's just your products.

CG, i know when i use the mg i get a smell too. i can't say it's a burnt smell cause i've smelt burnt hair before and it ain't nice but it does have a different scent to it.

i know my mg is functioning just fine and it has not been used much at all and when it is being used, it's on the lowest setting you can get without clicking it to the off position.

i think i'm so used to my hair smelling like conditioners, clays and other nice smelling things that it makes the heat smell stand out more (as in having an ultra sensitive nose).

do you think that's it?

i dunno girl. better be careful, don't want to hurt your hair.

Exactly, You hit it on the nail. I call it burnt hair smell but it does have a lingering odor.

For the ladies, that keep harping on the 5 and 6th time of me mis- using spell. I was very concerned about the comments and didn't catch my error 6 times. If it makes you get a laugh at my expense, go ahead. I am glad I could make your day by allowing you some giggles over my using spell over smell. :grin: I have very tough skin.

Ok, so there is no explanation of why its spell rather than smell? anyone, anything? just reallllly curious here? and you guys are MEAN!:lachen: 6 spells, i counted there , this is scaring me:nono:

Here is the explanation unless I read something out loud; I sometimes won't catch the error. Spell Check will not catch the error either. I was really concerned yesterday with the comments at work. Who wants to go around smelling like a perm especially since I haven't had that yucky creamy crack in years?

OP I understood the gist of your post

I agree with Med and maybe it's the iron if you've never had this happen before in this situation. Or maybe like someone else said, the setting was too high or it was a product in your hair.

I got a generic chi from sally's and I had the same problem on my hair (I actually saw smoke, and the setting was only in the 200's) I think it was my heat protectant.

I have the same generic chi from Sally's. I don't like it either.

For the ladies, that keep harping on the 5 and 6th time of me mis- using spell. I was very concerned about the comments and didn't catch my error 6 times. If it makes you get a laugh at my expense, go ahead. I am glad I could make your day by allowing you some giggles over my using spell over smell. :grin: I have very tough skin.
Awww CG:kiss: It was such a cute, innocent and repetitive error.:grin: That's the only reason it was funny.

Here is the explanation unless I read something out loud; I sometimes won't catch the error. Spell Check will not catch the error either. I was really concerned yesterday with the comments at work. Who wants to go around smelling like a perm especially since I haven't had that yucky creamy crack in years?

Country gal, I admire your graciousness.

A person who doesn't wash their sweaty hair before flat ironing it? :look:

CG, i know when i use the mg i get a smell too. i can't say it's a burnt smell cause i've smelt burnt hair before and it ain't nice but it does have a different scent to it.

i know my mg is functioning just fine and it has not been used much at all and when it is being used, it's on the lowest setting you can get without clicking it to the off position.

i think i'm so used to my hair smelling like conditioners, clays and other nice smelling things that it makes the heat smell stand out more (as in having an ultra sensitive nose).

do you think that's it?

i dunno girl. better be careful, don't want to hurt your hair.

I can say that my hair smells different also with ANY flat iron, including the maxiglide.

Country gal, I admire your graciousness.

Thank you very much. It takes a lot more effort to be nice and graceful. Trust and believe, if I was responding with mean comments this thread would be closed and I would get a watch your step PM from the Mods. :grin: I have done enough bickering on this board in the past. I am reaching for higher ground.

As my man Jay Z says, two angry wise men arguing on a hill look like two idiots arguing.

Personally, I only flatiron freshly washed hair. But then again I rarely use my flatiron period....but if I did it would only be on freshly washed hair.:spinning:

I think the steam from the MG made the smell more pungent!

Aww, c'mon guys, let's leave it alone. At first it was kind of funny, but now it's getting too catty.:nono:

Here's a thought, unless your hair is freshly washed most of you are flat ironing or curling dirty hair. In the spring time, your hair will have pollen on it unless you are washing your hair or weave every night. Ladies that sport weaves and don’t wash their hair; you are flat ironing dirty hair.

It you got some good loving the night before and sweated your hair a little bit. You get up the next morning and bumped up your ends or retouch up your hair with a flat iron. Same thing. My hair wasn't drenched in sweat. I have flat ironed my hair before mid week after workouts, no horrible smell.

I am not perfect. I make grammatical errors too. I wish I could be as fortunate as some of you brilliant ladies and never make an error. :perplexed

I can't speak for everyone, but I don't apply heat to my hair unless it is freshly washed. I thought that the general consensus was that applying heat to not-freshly-washed, dirty, or sweaty hair was bad. If you do, you're ironing dirt, smells your hair has accumulated, sweat that can be drying, and/or product build-up onto your hair :nono:.

Aww, c'mon guys, let's leave it alone. At first it was kind of funny, but now it's getting too catty.:nono:

I agree. I've had fun poked at me for typos, and I always laugh along--typos can be funny!--but now it's just seeming hella extra.

This thread is making me rethink getting a Maxiglide. There's more than one person in this thread saying it makes their hair smell funny.

Sun,

We have to realize that some people don't get much enjoyment out of their lives. If they find hysterical comedy over a typo than I have done my part for the good of the people.

Now now, that doesn't read like tough skin to me.

Some of y'all would NEVER survive on the other boards I post in. Never, they would tear you up and have you calling Jesus.

Back