"My Hair Is 'DOWN MY BACK'?"

MissYocairis

I have a friend who has been getting 'zillions'. They are THE tiniest of micros and her 4b hair is only really braided or knotted at the very first 2 cm of her roots. The rest is left out. It costs $375 for the service and $100 for the human hair. (and this is a home braider....no license)

Her stylist touches up her hairline every month and her whole head every 2 months. She also relaxes her immediately before the 2 month reapplication of the zillions. (of course, going against Robin The Hair Lady's regimen)

My friend's hair was about nape of her neck length prior to starting this regimen in April. During this time, I have watched her hairline thin out and slightly recede, IMO, from the tightness of the zillions.

Yesterday, my friend tells me her hair is now 'down my back'. I don't trust this process with the zillions. I know she is not allowed to wash it more than once between monthly hairline touchups. Her stylist has her following this regimen that doesn't include a lot of what we've learned on LHCF. It appears that the products she has her using are even based with ingredients that are a big no-no according to LHCF.

Frankly, I don't believe the process is healthy for her hair but I could be wrong and I didn't want to hurt my friend's feelings by asking too many questions and appearing skeptical.

Anyone know any good stories about zillions? Anyone else get irritated by claims of hair 'down my back' now that you have started painstakingly taking care of your hair through research and gentle care? (I wanted to ask where 'down my back' was and if it was a healthy 'down my back') -- let me just add, this is a friend who regularly balks at my constant bun wearing so, maybe I have a bit more irritation because of that.

I am just mad at the stylist because I fear that, when she finally decides to go without her zillions, her hair will break and she'll lose the length she was so excited about. Feedback? Educate me. Maybe I am ignorant about the virtues of zillions.

I have a good friend that gets micro braids (has been for YEARS). Once she gets them taken out, she gets them done again the next day or so. Her hair is still thick. Her hairline hasn't receded or gone thin. Her hair always looks good with the micros. I guess it's that infamous saying --> what works for one doesn't work for everyone. I've never had micros, and I know I will never get micros. If I had short hair, I would probably try it out to see how I liked it.

i've had a similar hair do and it just pulls out your hair. also, they are hard to wash frequently as the hair tangles or some of them even fall out all together. when it comes to micros there are way more horror stories than they are success stories. she'll find out for herself. sometimes thats what people need.

haha i doubt her "hair down my back" statement, and i'd be shocked and amazed if it was actually true.

OT: I remember this girl who was SO flattering herself talking about "everybody says i have white ppls hair. I have the cutest little nose, everyone LOVES my nose, and my hair is down my back. So many girls are jealous of it"

truth about the girl: regular old nose, white people's hair??? Honey, it's RELAXED HAIR, plus u just got it done at the salon! :look: hair down your back? 1 inch past shoulder... that's what it is :lol: it ain't DOWN the back. I thought it was all very funny.... let me just say... she was complexed :look:

Allandra said:
I have a good friend that gets micro braids (has been for YEARS). Once she gets them taken out, she gets them done again the next day or so. Her hair is still thick. Her hairline hasn't receded or gone thin. Her hair always looks good with the micros. I guess it's that infamous saying --> what works for one doesn't work for everyone. I've never had micros, and I know I will never get micros. If I had short hair, I would probably try it out to see how I liked it.

Thanks Allandra. I hope that her hair can withstand it as your friend's has. I am just so wary when stylists claim they have the 'ideal fix' because historically, that's not been true. We'll see. $500 every two months (not including what those monthly hairline touchups cost) is a lot to spend on a gamble. :ohwell:

asphyxxia said:
i've had a similar hair do and it just pulls out your hair. also, they are hard to wash frequently as the hair tangles or some of them even fall out all together. when it comes to micros there are way more horror stories than they are success stories. she'll find out for herself. sometimes thats what people need.

Sadly, I think you are right. This isn't her first venture with mircos. She started with this chic after her hair shedded and broke off very badly from wearing regular micros for 6 months. :ohwell:

CarLiTa said:
haha i doubt her "hair down my back" statement, and i'd be shocked and amazed if it was actually true.

OT: I remember this girl who was SO flattering herself talking about "everybody says i have white ppls hair. I have the cutest little nose, everyone LOVES my nose, and my hair is down my back. So many girls are jealous of it"

truth about the girl: regular old nose, white people's hair??? Honey, it's RELAXED HAIR, plus u just got it done at the salon! :look: hair down your back? 1 inch past shoulder... that's what it is :lol: it ain't DOWN the back. I thought it was all very funny.... let me just say... she was complexed :look:

EXACTLY! I was irritated about the 'down my back' thing and I felt guilty that I felt that way. But, with all the women on LHCF working so hard and so long and so committed to these regimens and being HONEST about what we are really working with....it....it just irritated the HELL out of me! But, I love her. lol. I just was looking at her deteriorating hairline like, "hmmm, but the rest is down your back? *sigh* yeauh, okay."

The woman that used to braid my hair did the process with her daughters, and they started out with Halle Berry length (short) hair, and in 2 years they were at bra strap length, but they had the same problem they had receeding hairlines. The rest of their hair was thick and beautiful. I think the braids help retain length in some strange way.

Candycane044 said:
The woman that used to braid my hair did the process with her daughters, and they started out with Halle Berry length (short) hair, and in 2 years they were at bra strap length, but they had the same problem they had receeding hairlines. The rest of their hair was thick and beautiful. I think the braids help retain length in some strange way.

Hey CandyCane, did your daughters have relaxed hair? Were they getting only the first couple of cm of their roots braided and the rest left out also? How often did they wash it? I know braids help retain length when they are actually braided but when the hair is barely braided and the rest is our delicate relaxed hair left out and is not being conditioned or "rested" properly between braidings and relaxers, it seems to me it would be detrimental. Just curious.

CantBeCopied said:
Hey CandyCane, did your daughters have relaxed hair? Were they getting only the first couple of cm of their roots braided and the rest left out also? How often did they wash it? I know braids help retain length when they are actually braided but when the hair is barely braided and the rest is our delicate relaxed hair left out and is not being conditioned or "rested" properly between braidings and relaxers, it seems to me it would be detrimental. Just curious.

Their hair was natural (keep in mind it was her daughters lol not mine), and they would alternate, sometimes their micros would be braided all the way down the length of their hair and then the weave was left out, and other times they would have only the first like inch braided, and the rest was out, but they would use curly weave to make it match with their afro. It was truly beautiful, but I knew I wouldn't be able to handle that personally, plus I love my precious hairline too much!

And to answer your question about washing, I'm not really sure, I just know they started off with short short hair and ended up with some bra strap length hair in 2 years, and while all the girls were making fun of them calling them bald because they always wore braids, one day they came to school and let their real hair out, and it was amazing. No one thought it was real, but they even had it parted so everyone knew it was real! lol :lachen:

Candycane044 said:
And to answer your question about washing, I'm not really sure, I just know they started off with short short hair and ended up with some bra strap length hair in 2 years, and while all the girls were making fun of them calling them bald because they always wore braids, one day they came to school and let their real hair out, and it was amazing. No one thought it was real, but they even had it parted so everyone knew it was real! lol :lachen:

That's wonderful. I cannot help but think though that the fact that they were natural definitely played in their favor and success with that method. Relaxed hair is BROKE DOWN HAIR when you are going by what stylists advise. But, either way, I do still wish my friend success and hope that she can keep the length she is obtaining from this method. Maybe once she gets it removed for good, I will be able to help her retain it with what I have learned. We'll see. :)

CantBeCopied said:
That's wonderful. I cannot help but think though that the fact that they were natural definitely played in their favor and success with that method. Relaxed hair is BROKE DOWN HAIR when you are going by what stylists advise. But, either way, I do still wish my friend success and hope that she can keep the length she is obtaining from this method. Maybe once she gets it removed for good, I will be able to help her retain it with what I have learned. We'll see. :)

It's so nice that you are concerned with your friends hair. And yes, I definitely think them being natural had a lot to do with it. Hopefully she will be able to retain all that length. You're such a great friend!

As a friend I think that you should advise her in some things that could help her keep her relaxed hair, especially that hair line, I don't care how long the rest of the hair grows, when the hairline is missing it makes the person look quite strange and funny looking w/1in of the hair line missing,LOL,:lachen: , so maybe you should incourage her to follow the crown and glory method and to keep her hair moisturized on a regular.

CantBeCopied said:
I

Yesterday, my friend tells me her hair is now 'down my back'.

Yeah it's down her back alright, and down the drain if it was growning out her scalp....reality is she bought it that way...

I think some people's idea of "hair down your back" isn't in reality hair down the back.

About micros, I would never recommend them to someone. I've seen some pretty bad results due to micros. :(

I'd like to add that just because it is 'down her back' it doesn't mean that it's healthy hair. It could be a thin, stringy broken off mess that needs to be clipped, like my hair was when I tried weaves for the first time.

I am not a fan of micros either. They take too long and I see everyday what they can do for a hairline.

BeautifulWideEyes said:
As a friend I think that you should advise her in some things that could help her keep her relaxed hair, especially that hair line, I don't care how long the rest of the hair grows, when the hairline is missing it makes the person look quite strange and funny looking w/1in of the hair line missing,LOL,:lachen: , so maybe you should incourage her to follow the crown and glory method and to keep her hair moisturized on a regular.

Maybe I will turn her on to Robin's site. I think her stylist uses an alcohol based gel or mouse on the length of her hair blended with the human hair to make it stay blended with the added hair texture and feel. :mad:

CantBeCopied said:
Maybe I will turn her on to Robin's site. I think her stylist uses an alcohol based gel or mouse on the length of her hair blended with the human hair to make it stay blended with the added hair texture and feel. :mad:

Good idea cause micros can do some damage. They looked nice while I had them last year, but the stress they cause of the hairline is no joke. And they definitely shouldn't be worn over and over again. She won't have any hair to attach the braids to in a minute.

Supergirl said:
I think some people's idea of "hair down your back" isn't in reality hair down the back.

About micros, I would never recommend them to someone. I've seen some pretty bad results due to micros. :(

Yeah, I agree. I have hair "down my back" means shoulder length to many an uneducated sister. *smh* Hopefully, she will give her hair a rest soon. I don't trust the micros either.

Candycane044 said:
It's so nice that you are concerned with your friends hair. And yes, I definitely think them being natural had a lot to do with it. Hopefully she will be able to retain all that length. You're such a great friend!

lol. I won't say all that. I will admit I was irritated with the whole 'down my back' statement. I don't like being lied to. lol. :ohwell:

kombov_dymond said:
I'd like to add that just because it is 'down her back' it doesn't mean that it's healthy hair. It could be a thin, stringy broken off mess that needs to be clipped, like my hair was when I tried weaves for the first time.

I am not a fan of micros either. They take too long and I see everyday what they can do for a hairline.

I agree. And, knowing home stylists....she is probably relaxing my friends entire length everytime she touches her up and then immediately putting braids right at the roots as soon as the relaxer is done. My friend's hair will probably not withstand this abuse. But, when someone is spending the kind of money she has spent, you cannot just walk up and reveal that they are being duped.
:mad:

CandiceC said:
Good idea cause micros can do some damage. They looked nice while I had them last year, but the stress they cause of the hairline is no joke. And they definitely shouldn't be worn over and over again. She won't have any hair to attach the braids to in a minute.

I know it. I KNOW IT! :ohwell: But, she hasn't really seen my hair over the last six months too often because I always wear it in a bun. She thinks I don't know what I am talking about and she took a gamble financially to commit to this regimen. All I can do is be there to pick up the pieces.

Supergirl said:

Co-sign!!!

Hey, it's a gamble indeed me personally I wouldn't pay all that money that's ridiculous to me but that's just me. imho micros yeah they are pretty but at what cost they cause your hair to thin over time because that is alot of stress on your follicles and that causes hair loss. So loose large to medium braids that's ok sometimes but micros that's hair suicide especially those zillions imho. I had to cut my micros out along with my hair so I won't be wearing them for quite some time. I'm definitely on the baby my follicles tip. Best Wishes to you and your friend.

Back