My Hair is Crying Out for Help

BeeMine14

Hello Ladies,

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Brandi, a full-time college student and a part time Clinical Assistant, and I've been on this hair journey for about 2 years now. I've been lurking on this site for years now, and I've just subscribed because I need you all's help.

I decided to go natural March 2012 and I big chopped June 2012 right after my high school graduation. I really chopped my hair in the spur of the moment, and I suffered some feelings towards it. My hair was 1/2 inch. Now fast forward to January 2013, I let my aunt texlax my hair. Some pieces of my hair are bone straight, and many pieces are texlaxed. My hair is at an awkward length. It is CBL in the back but my sides and "bang" area are short. My ends are very raggedy. I'm not really sure what I need to do to revive my hair. I still wash and deep condition on a regular basis.

I know the first step I need to take is get a trim. I think I'm leaning towards doing a corrective relaxer. I also think I should get my hair cut into a style that will allow my hair to grow back "together", but not really sure what type of style will allow that.

Hi Brandi! :wave:

First off, is your hair breaking excessively, or do your ends keep tangling? If not, I wouldn't trim just yet.

Are to opposed to wearing wigs or half wigs? Some of them are super cute and look realistic. :yep: Or you can give braids a try. Either way, I think hiding your hair and giving it a little break would help tremendously.

What products are you using to deep condition and moisturize with? How often do you deep condition and moisturize?

Hi Brandi! :wave:

First off, is your hair breaking excessively, or do your ends keep tangling? If not, I wouldn't trim just yet.

Are to opposed to wearing wigs or half wigs? Some of them are super cute and look realistic. :yep: Or you can give braids a try. Either way, I think hiding your hair and giving it a little break would help tremendously.

What products are you using to deep condition and moisturize with? How often do you deep condition and moisturize?

Hello. Yes my ends tangle and I do see signs of breakage. I've been in weaves and braids since Nov/Dec with 2 week breaks in between. As of right now I deep condition with Elasta QP Soy (I cant remember the whole name) but it doesnt really do much for my hair. With me being on a tight budget I haven't really had a chance to get better products. When i'm in braids I deep condition every 2 weeks but its harder to do so when I'm in weaves because I use a net. I moisturize with Hot Six braid spray and seal with castor or olive oil.

Hello. Yes my ends tangle and I do see signs of breakage. I've been in weaves and braids since Nov/Dec with 2 week breaks in between. As of right now I deep condition with Elasta QP Soy (I cant remember the whole name) but it doesnt really do much for my hair. With me being on a tight budget I haven't really had a chance to get better products. When i'm in braids I deep condition every 2 weeks but its harder to do so when I'm in weaves because I use a net. I moisturize with Hot Six braid spray and seal with castor or olive oil.

Oils don't moisturize. They're fine to seal with, and use as hot oil treatments, but as a moisturizer? Nuh-uh. Your hair needs some moisture stat.

One fantastic conditioner that I always recommend for breakage is the ORS Conditioning Pak. The individual packets are inexpensive, and you get a lot.Try clarifying, then using an ORS Pak. Do you have any leave ins or moisturizers?

Oils don't moisturize. They're fine to seal with, and use as hot oil treatments, but as a moisturizer? Nuh-uh. Your hair needs some moisture stat.

One fantastic conditioner that I always recommend for breakage is the ORS Conditioning Pak. The individual packets are inexpensive, and you get a lot.Try clarifying, then using an ORS Pak. Do you have any leave ins or moisturizers?

Yes I buy the travel size ors moisturizer and occasionally I use the ors pak and the aphogee 2-step treatment in the sample pack. I alternate between the cantu leave In and the sallys version of "Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner". And I moisturize with either of those before getting braids/weaves and seal with shea butter

Do you have any protein reconstructors? it sounds like you need a shot of protein to stop the breakage before you do anything else.

Yes I use protein every other wash I use my Cholersterol Conditioner & once a month I do a hard protein.

i say get a corrective and a cut. after that, start with some weekly deep conditioning treatments. your moisturizers are fine, but i would just leave the Shea butter alone. do a search and checkout the Relaxed Sticky Thread and look up threads on Porosity.

i say get a corrective and a cut. after that, start with some weekly deep conditioning treatments. your moisturizers are fine, but i would just leave the Shea butter alone. do a search and checkout the Relaxed Sticky Thread and look up threads on Porosity.

Thanks so much once my final exams are over I will definitely be doing that

To me it sounds like all your products are fine. This means that it's probably your handling of your hair when detangling and styling or your relaxer/texlaxing process. Could we have details of the two

To me it sounds like all your products are fine. This means that it's probably your handling of your hair when detangling and styling or your relaxer/texlaxing process. Could we have details of the two

I've always been one to detangle from the ends up to the roots. The texlax process was pretty simple I based all my scalp and I drenched my hair in oils and added oil to the relaxer. I used Creme of Nature sunflower relaxer in mild or normal. And it sat for about 5-7 minutes

am I the only one that immediately thought of Jay Z when I read the first line of this post?

Allow me to introduce myself....My name is HOV! H to the O V....

:look:

...I moisturize with Hot Six braid spray and seal with castor or olive oil.

Yes I use protein every other wash I use my Cholersterol Conditioner & once a month I do a hard protein.

Based on your comments above, I think your hair needs moisture.

If you are on a tight budget, you can moisturize your hair with plain water and seal with castor oil or olive oil...I've done it successfully for years.

I would invest in a good DC, though. Motions Moisture Plus is inexpensive and can be easily found at Wal-mart, Target or BSS. Also, I would take a break from the hard protein and incorporate the cholesterol once per month, AFTER you get your moisture level up.

If you are not opposed to wigs, I suggest hiding your hair and stretching out your texlaxer/relaxer for as long as you can.

I wish you hair success!

Last edited:

If you are on a tight budget, you can moisturize your hair with plain water and seal with castor oil or olive oil...I've done it successfully for years.

I would invest in a good DC, though. Motions Moisture Plus is inexpensive and can be easily found at Wal-mart, Target or BSS. Also, I would take a break from the hard protein and incorporate the cholesterol once per month, AFTER you get your moisture level up.

If you are not opposed to wigs, I suggest hiding your hair and stretching out your texlaxer/relaxer for as long as you can.

I wish you hair success!

It has been very dry latelty. I'm currently in a weave now to give myself a break from my u part. I will try those products out.

I've always been one to detangle from the ends up to the roots. The texlax process was pretty simple I based all my scalp and I drenched my hair in oils and added oil to the relaxer. I used Creme of Nature sunflower relaxer in mild or normal. And it sat for about 5-7 minutes

I wish you hair success!

I agree! Can i also suggest s-curl or hawaiian silky 14 n 1 miracle worker. cheap, lasts for ages, widely available. And if you have fine delicate hair strands consider trying finger detangling and avoiding styling/detangling wet hair. I hope you get the results you want :) hth

Back