My hair grows slow but I still appreciate it

SweetNic_JA

My hair hasn't made a world of progress in 2 years but it's inching a long. I haven't had any major setbacks up until recently with the shedding. However, I'm still encouraged that I can reach even longer lengths in due time.

Here's my starting point : July 2004
Excuse the pic but this is all I have.
pixie

Current length
My current lenth is a little longer than the side pics but I've lost some thickness. Nothing, this bun challenge can't handle though!

I have to admit, I get a little disappointed when I see people shoot past my lenght in a 5 month time period!
laugh.gif
it's all good though. Here's to past, current, and future lengths.
smile.gif

Its moving along nicely! My hair grows slow too, it may not be long but it is WAY healthier and fuller than when I started.

I'm a slow grower too
frown.gif
Next month it'll be a year since my last relaxer, and as of today I have about 4 to 4.5 inches of growth for the year. And I retained maybe an inch and a half
mad.gif
Unless I get 2 inches of growth in the next 3 or 4 weeks
laugh.gif
that means I'm under the average of 6 inches a year
frown.gif
I need to do something about this, especially if I'm ever going to make it to brastrap (let alone by 2005) *popping biotin like candy*
laugh.gif

Carrie,
I'm definitely thankful that my hair is a lot healthier. I wouldn't mind the double threat though!
laugh.gif

BC, I experienced the same thing last year. I felt so jipped you wouldn't believe. At one point I had every vitamin in the book, did daily rinses, conditioned AND I had in braids so the slow growth wasn't justifiable at all.

I noticed you're popping the Biotin. I would give it another shot but I made me break-out in the past and I don't want to risk my skin at all
nono.gif

Have you tried surge? I doubt it will help but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Sweetnic, your hair is coming along just fine. Mine is the same at times...it goes through phases where it grows like a weed and then where it doesnt seem to grow at all.

My hair is like the little engine that could though and I just have to keep giving it all the encouragement(through a good regimen) I can
smile.gif
I really hope that this time next year I have made consideral progress but if nothing else I know it will be healthier! Ive never taken as good of care of my hair as I have since I joined here and plan to keep it up.

I have only just started using surge, but I'm just using it on my front edges (for the front edges challenge). I had the bottle for a long time but was afraid of having a reaction. So far it's okay, but I don't wash my hair every day anymore, so I don't use the surge every day.
Maybe I'll start using it on my whole head just a couple times a week.

I've never had problems with biotin breaking me out. I try to drink a lot of water with it. I drink about a liter a day of water on average--sometimes less sometimes more. I have a water bottle that I fill up in the morning and I try to have it gone by the time I go to bed. I'm also taking Solgar's Skin, Nails, and Hair formula. It's not one of those super vitamins with a whole bunch of stuff, but I'm taking it mainly for the MSM (it has 1g of MSM in it). I can't really tell if it's doing anything because when I tried it the first time last summer I wasn't very consistent. Right now I'm just using up the last bottle of it, which is one month's supply. I'm in the process of scoping out vitamins for a new, more complete regimen to start when I run out of this in 17 days--that'll be just in time for when I head back to school (I've got it all planned out
laugh.gif
) What vitamins have you tried? Did you notice any results? I never knew my growth rate before so I can't say quantitatively what biotin is doing, but I know I feel "action" at the scalp
laugh.gif

I think once I get to school I'm also going to try to take in more protein. That seems to be something that people have had a lot of success with
smile.gif

My hair grows slowly,too. Maybe I should use Surge 2x per day all over my scalp as directed?
scratchchin.gif
But the horror stories really scared me...

Even though my hair grows at a snail's pace, it's 10x stronger and healthier than it was this time last year.
smile.gif

My growth seems to have slowed down alot. I got only 1.5 inches in the last 5 months. On top of that I had a major tangling disaster that took away some of the ends. Thank goodness for the Tangle Tamer or I would be at ear length now.

Without my braids my hair has been growing slow as well. I'm thinking about changing my goals because I don't think I'm going to be where I hope to be at by the end of this year.

[ QUOTE ]
Leslie_C said:
Sweetnic, your hair is coming along just fine. Mine is the same at times...it goes through phases where it grows like a weed and then where it doesnt seem to grow at all.

My hair is like the little engine that could though and I just have to keep giving it all the encouragement(through a good regimen) I can
smile.gif
I really hope that this time next year I have made consideral progress but if nothing else I know it will be healthier! Ive never taken as good of care of my hair as I have since I joined here and plan to keep it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I adopted that same philosophy. I'm doing my scalp massages at night & throwing my hair in a damp bun in the day all while thinking " I think I can". It's just soooo slow sometimes and the slowness & occasional breakage puts me at a high risk of not meeting my goal. Braiding seems to be the only answer to that lethal combo and that's what I've been doing until recently.

[ QUOTE ]
BlackCardinal said:
I have only just started using surge, but I'm just using it on my front edges (for the front edges challenge). I had the bottle for a long time but was afraid of having a reaction. So far it's okay, but I don't wash my hair every day anymore, so I don't use the surge every day.
Maybe I'll start using it on my whole head just a couple times a week.

I've never had problems with biotin breaking me out. I try to drink a lot of water with it. I drink about a liter a day of water on average--sometimes less sometimes more. I have a water bottle that I fill up in the morning and I try to have it gone by the time I go to bed. I'm also taking Solgar's Skin, Nails, and Hair formula. It's not one of those super vitamins with a whole bunch of stuff, but I'm taking it mainly for the MSM (it has 1g of MSM in it). I can't really tell if it's doing anything because when I tried it the first time last summer I wasn't very consistent. Right now I'm just using up the last bottle of it, which is one month's supply. I'm in the process of scoping out vitamins for a new, more complete regimen to start when I run out of this in 17 days--that'll be just in time for when I head back to school (I've got it all planned out
laugh.gif
) What vitamins have you tried? Did you notice any results? I never knew my growth rate before so I can't say quantitatively what biotin is doing, but I know I feel "action" at the scalp
laugh.gif

I think once I get to school I'm also going to try to take in more protein. That seems to be something that people have had a lot of success with
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to wash/rinse everyday too but I stopped. I've been Surging that spot everyday for almost 2 weeks now and I don't have any irritation (crossing fingers).

The water trick is a good one. I bring a gallon of water to work and store in one of my cabinets. That way, my laziness won't stop me from walking to the water dispenser for water...It's right here
smile.gif

I was on Solgar for the longest but I stopped once I started my accutane. I've been taking the Vitamin Shoppe brand of multi-V's and B5. It's not as potent as the Solgar but I don't even know if potency ever really made a difference.

I think the vitamins are making a change but I wonder if it's really the vitamins or the Placebo Effect. Who knows? I'm not complaining though
grin.gif

Let's not even talk about protein
laugh.gif
I have a gallon (or more) jug of 30g protein powder sitting on my fridge. I haven't kept a steady protein regimen in a long time but I"m working on it. I'm taking baby steps with my 3g yogurts.

One thing I need to do is get active! That may actually be the key!

I agree with you! I used to get disappointed because it seemed that my hair never grew fast enough but now I am taking a day at a time, I know I will eventually reach my goals!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My hair grows slowly,too. Maybe I should use Surge 2x per day all over my scalp as directed? But the horror stories really scared me...

Even though my hair grows at a snail's pace, it's 10x stronger and healthier than it was this time last year.

[/ QUOTE ] Same here. I noticed that my hair is much more moist. I can't complain about that !

[ QUOTE ]
My growth seems to have slowed down alot. I got only 1.5 inches in the last 5 months. On top of that I had a major tangling disaster that took away some of the ends. Thank goodness for the Tangle Tamer or I would be at ear length now.

[/ QUOTE ] Sometimes that happens to me! I can't figure out the cause of that. I was getting .65 to .875 inches consitently each month (yeah I used to measure). Now, everything is just down the drain. Can't figure it out.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a terribly slow grower.

I've accepted it, but I don't like it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here, afterall, what can we do?

[ QUOTE ]
I feel you, I feel like my hair is growing slower too, I used to grow so fast when I was younger. But you've gotten a nice amount of growth. Lately (for the past few years) I'll let my hair get to shoulder length, then I'll cut it because of frustration.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to be the same way. My hair would grow to a certain length and I would get too frustrated to wait so I'd whip up a pixie cut w/o hesitation. I vowed to stop doing that though. It took ALOT of discipline...especially since I love the blunt look of freshly cut hair
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Same here. I have started putting it up in a bun everyday and "fagitaboutit!"till wash time. Bonjour

[/ QUOTE ] same here.I've embraced the bun.

Back