My Hair Care System-Critiques Anyone?

G

Once I take out my braids and get all the hair products I need I am going to start this system..if anyone thinks that I have left something vital out of my system please let me know-I am open to suggestions.

1. Wash hair twice a week. Deep condtion and sit under hooded dryer or heat cap for 20 minutes; rinse and apply moisturizing condtioner (I learned this from the forum).

2. Do TCB hot oil treatment, if needed. Rinse.

3. Apply Dew.

4. If pressing hair, apply pressing oil/creme to hair. Braid or pull back in ponytail to dry overnight.

5. Press hair, applying more pressing oil if needed. I am going to try to press the hair once a week instead of everytime I wash to cut out excess heat.

6. Moisturize daily, paying special attention to hair "ends".

7. Nightly scalp massages with Lisa's Hair Elixir.

8. Take Botanic Choice Vitamins for the Hair daily along with a Centrum Multi-vitamin.

9. Other routines: Clarify with a clarifying shampoo every six weeks (or sooner). Protein treatments [to be done at an interval depending on breakage].

Sounds good. The only thing I would be concerned with is the frequent pressing (1/week). It seems you are doing it less than before though, so that's good.

Well, in the past I only washed my hair once a week. Now I will be doing it twice a week so I will have to "extremely natural" because it will be too much heat. I have problems with my hair frizzing so in the past I used to "touch up" my edges with the pressing comb. I don't use no other heat though-curling irons, flat irons, or blow dryers.

*bump* I think I am pretty much going to do most of this..but I'm not going to be taking those hair vitamins. And I won't press my hair regularly since heat isn't too good for the hair if you press too often. Oh, and I don't know if I am going to use the Dew or not. I am going to try Sta-Sof-Afro.

I see nothing wrong with the regimen except maybe the pressing weekly. Pressing combs are HOT & they pretty much hit every strand. What do you think about flat ironing as an alternative to pressing? What shampoo & conditioner specifically? What hairstyle are you wearing when your hair isn't braided?

That's the thing, I'm on the search for a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. I don't want to use the same thing as before. Everything I find, has too much protein in it. As far as flatironing, I'm really not sure how that would work on my hair. Also, I won't be pressing that much anymore.

People have said that the Jilbere ceramic flat iron worked better than a hot comb. Is there a reason why the hot oil treatment is done after washing and conditioning?

I always did my hot oil treatments after washing and conditioning..until I joined hair websites I noticed that others did it differently like before as a pre-treatment thing. I inquired about it and wanted to know the difference. The thing is the hot oils I used were the kinds from the store..and the directions say to use after washing or conditioning.

Whatever works for you. I encourage you to try it before shampooing and also before conditioning so you can see for yourself which way you like it better. Also, pure jojoba oil is good for hot oil treatments as an alternative to the commercial ones, and I think its cheaper too depending on where you buy it.

hot oiling after shampooing & conditioning is great for sealing in all of your hard work
smile.gif

Thanks, Supergirl for all your replies/help. Like I said I never done the hot oils any different other than after my shampoo/conditioning. Soulchild, I will try it though just to see how it works...and I want to use jojoba too along with olive oil-I even heard about adding some honey to this. That's why I love websites like this...you learn so many new things and people are so supportive!

You don't really need to use a deep conditioner AND another moisturizer unless you are using a protein conditioner. Are you?

I mean you can do it that way if you want - but I just wondered if there was a theory.
smile.gif

Also - what are you using the dew for? Detangling? Or just moisture?

How do you plan to reduce tangling and shedding when you take the braids out - if you get that? Are you prepared for some shedding after the braids? Planning to do anything to minimize that? Just some things to think about.
grin.gif

The deep conditioner I was going to try was the Cathy Howse UBH, so I'm told that I would need to use something to soften up the hair but then again I guess it all depends on how my hair feels. I guess I will be using the Dew for moisture...but now I think I will switch to Sta-Sof-Afro .As far as the braids, I have a way of taking them down..I'm going to get some shedding but if I take them down the right way I will keep most of my hair. I also have a hair product called "Ease out spray" that's really good if I run into trouble.

Back