My Hair absolutely loves Henna. I henna every weeeeeeek!

Chocolatelove2010

I know some people really don't like it, and they've shared their story of how dry Henna has made their hair. But I've seen different results. I probably wouldn't have even tried it, if it wasn't for my mother. My mum always uses henna (her hair is tailbone length) and she uses it weekly. We've got packets and packets in my house, so I thought why not. My mum used to try and put it on me when I was younger... Oh lawd would I run, or would I run lol. I hated the smell, I found it so slimey, and quite frankly it looked like doo-doo. So my mum just left me alone. Fast-forward, and now I beg her to help me put it on :lachen:

My mum leaves hers on for an hour, I leave it on about 90 mins or 2 hours.

The henna I use doesn't even come in a professional packet. So I can't recommend a brand name, sorry. My mum gets it from her friend who says its straight from Yemen. It looks like the pure stuff (sounds like I'm talking about crack now :lol:) Anyhuu it's great. I mix the henna with a teaspoon of Sunflower Oil and egg. After the time is up I wash it out, and then use a conditioner (any will do) Then I put Elasta QP - Deep Penetrating Remoisturizer and leave that on for 30mins.

I've been doing this for a coupla weeks now, and my results have been consistent.

When my hair sheds, I feel the strand.. and gosh it's so strong. It's definitely worked for me, and if you think it'll work for you... then by all means go for it. It's 100% worth it.

I know providing pics are a lot more fun, and people can see what I'm working with.. so I'll attach some. The first 2 pics, I was still in the process of washing out the henna. The last pic is of my hair dry. Right now I'm just about to go seal it with oil. But I thought I'd just tell Ya'll what's working for me.

HHJ.

Last edited:
I love it too! :grin:

Although, not a weekly user, it's a great "natural" alternative to bottled color. I use it every 6-8 weeks and I "Indigo" on top of the Henna.:lick:

I'm Relaxed and I use Body Art Quality Henna for Chemically Treated and African American Hair.

Don't forget to keep your Moisture Levels up!:yep:

Enjoy!

I'm glad you're having such great results!! I just ordered my first batch of henna and plan on taking the plunge in a week or so. I'm so excited! Stories like yours make me want to take my sew in out and henna right now!!!! :grin:

I love henna (and your hair). I just ordered a new batch so I'm getting back into it again. I still tweak my reggie for it though so it's a work in process.

Chocolatelove2010 I was just thinking the exact same thing last night when I was henna-ing. I used to FLEE when I was little but I begged my mom to help me out. She always used henna, eggs, and avocado but I never listened to her. I have no idea the brand but I guess us East Africans pass it around like crack to each other :laugh:

Oddly enough, my hair wasn't as dry as everyone makes it out to be. This is the second week in a row and when I cowash the henna out, it isn't desert-dry. I still dc but I dunno.

I love your results!
I'm so afraid of using it since I've heard it can loosen curls over time.
And I'm terrified of anything that might loosen them. :(

Funny, I got some "hana" from Syria and loaded up on the indigo. I'm raven-haired now!!!! And I got it to cover those little stupid greys that were lining my forehead. Stupid things!!! LOL. 2-step process all the way. I was just thinking about how I should henna weekly for an hour and rinse out.

@Chocolatelove2010 I was just thinking the exact same thing last night when I was henna-ing. I used to FLEE when I was little but I begged my mom to help me out. She always used henna, eggs, and avocado but I never listened to her. I have no idea the brand but I guess us East Africans pass it around like crack to each other :laugh:

Oddly enough, my hair wasn't as dry as everyone makes it out to be. This is the second week in a row and when I cowash the henna out, it isn't desert-dry. I still dc but I dunno.

@ hannan :lachen: That is soooooooo true.

When I asked my mum, where did you buy it from? She looked at me like I was crazy. My mum hennas every week (and so do I now) but she never purchases it. There's always a 'friend' with henna. It's like there's some underground henna thing going on, and I just discovered it. :lol:

Yup, same here. It doesn't make my hair dry at all. I've only seen benefits so far.

- I don't want to rave about it, and somebody comes back angry at me because it didn't work for them lol. But seriously I ABSOLUTELY love henna, the strands on my hair are dancing. There's a party going on my scalp :dance7:

I highly recommend it ladies.

I wish Ya'll success in your henna journeys. I hope you guys will love it as much as I do :grin:

Last edited:
I love your results!
I'm so afraid of using it since I've heard it can loosen curls over time.
And I'm terrified of anything that might loosen them. :(

Your hair feels softer, and stronger. Look at the positives.

I wouldn't worry too much about it changing your texture. It's not like Henna is a relaxer, you won't come out with bone-straight hair from the shower lol.

ETA: I haven't seen much of a difference in curl size, so you should be fine gurl.

Last edited:
My hair is loving the henna too!! I've only been using it for about a month but my hair has made a complete turnaround. Thicker, stronger strands for sure. I also did the 2 step with indigo and absolutely love it. This is something I will always do for my hair. =)

I love it too! I did my first application about 2 or 3 weeks ago. I plan to do it once every two months. I love how strong it makes my hair feel.

(BTW, Your curls in your sig and post are beautiful!)

I am planing to henna my hair in about a week or so. I have to really decide what I want to put in my henna mix. It seems that the possibilities are endless, but I want to stay away from anything that will contribute to dryness.

Since I don't know any henna-crack dealers (:lol:) I had to go out and buy Reshma henna from the local Indian bazaar.

Chocolatelove2010, Have you been noticing a change in the color of your hair?

Another henna lover here. But I use it every 8 weeks and it works great for me. Its now part of my exclusive staples. If only I'd known about it years ago, my hair would probably in a totally different state today.

@Chocolatelove2010, Have you been noticing a change in the color of your hair?

Haha yup. (in pics)

My real hair color is a dark dirty brown colour.

It can look different in pics due to lighting. Even now, thanks to the henna... I see an auburn color in the light.

In the original post, I took the pic when it was daytime so the bathroom light wasn't on. That's probs why my hair looks much darker. I duno... Anyhuu I'll try and take my pics with natural light, to avoid confusion in the future. But yeah my hair color isn't really changing, just my bathroom light is. :grin:

Last edited:
Henna is good stuff. It's very cheap at Indian markets so close enough to free. I never had the patience to use it weekly though. I only stopped coz I decided to move on from henna red to black.

chocolatelove, i too henna every week....sometimes every four days because i have grey at my temples that i try to keep covered up...i condition everyday, twice a day because i work out and i deep condition once sometimes twice a week...i thought i was the only one who henna so frequently...thanks for posting!!

Chocolatelove2010 I wanna try neutral henna on my hair but its now colored auburn and brown and I'm worried about it altering my hair color or impacting how my retouches "take" so to speak.

But I really want the conditioning benefits and would love for my source of protein to be natural as opposed to store bought. What are your thoughts on that? Do you have any idea on how I could get henna similar to yours?

Thanks in advance

Chocolatelove2010 I wanna try neutral henna on my hair but its now colored auburn and brown and I'm worried about it altering my hair color or impacting how my retouches "take" so to speak.

But I really want the conditioning benefits and would love for my source of protein to be natural as opposed to store bought. What are your thoughts on that? Do you have any idea on how I could get henna similar to yours?

Thanks in advance

You weren't talking to me but I think I can answer. =)

If you order the cassia obovata off of mehandi.com that should do the trick! One of my girlfriends uses it on her hair for conditioning and she has auburn hair dye in her hair and it didn't color or affect it at all. The conditioning "coat" is supposed to last on the hair for approximately 1 month. According to the website I was reading, the only way you will see any color changes from the cassia or "nuetral" henna is when your hair is already blonde. Your beautiful hair will likely be as shiny as glass after a treatment of cassia!

fitnessmommy said:
You weren't talking to me but I think I can answer. =)

If you order the cassia obovata off of mehandi.com that should do the trick! One of my girlfriends uses it on her hair for conditioning and she has auburn hair dye in her hair and it didn't color or affect it at all. The conditioning "coat" is supposed to last on the hair for approximately 1 month. According to the website I was reading, the only way you will see any color changes from the cassia or "nuetral" henna is when your hair is already blonde. Your beautiful hair will likely be as shiny as glass after a treatment of cassia!
Yipeeeeeeee!!!:reddancer:

fitnessmommy Okay I'm gonna order it and if all goes well I'll start a thread tagging you and thanking you for helping me out:grin:

Last edited:
Another henna head checking in! I henna every few months, or after I get braids out.

I love the sheen I get! My recipe consists of henna, EVOO, EVCO, Amla powder, honey, hot water, a little ACV & cheapy conditioner; it's the same recipe that Kinicakes posted several years ago.

Wish I could get some of that no name "crack" quality henna that your mom gets, OP! :lachen:

I've just hennaed two weeks in a row and my hair has never been stronger or shinier. I DC everytime I henna.

ladies i hate to sound out of the loop (but i am) but do henna conditioners work as good or do i need pure henna i see alot of conditioners claiming to have henna as the main ingr. will those work for a first timers henna treatment or should i just dive in order some offline. TIA

I henna every week. I like to add wheatgerm oil to my cooled henna paste also. The paste goes on smoothly, and rinses out clean. I have no problem with dryness.

Make sure one rinses the henna completely out. Try using a denman D4 with suave or vo5 conditioner and you'll get it out and hair won't be dry.

I also like to do hibiscus and brahmi paste too sometimes, esp before I maxiglide my hair. Must get back to indigo! :drunk:

AA

I love henna too. I henna evry other week consisently and deep condition every week and my hair never feels dry and I have to tell my self to not touch my hair, its never felt so strong. And I've been doing this for about 3 months and I'll always do it now.

I love henna too! I used to do them weekly, then I started slacking. I haven't done a henna treatment in at least 3 months now! I'm going to mix up a batch today to apply tomorrow! Can't wait!
ladies i hate to sound out of the loop (but i am) but do henna conditioners work as good or do i need pure henna i see alot of conditioners claiming to have henna as the main ingr. will those work for a first timers henna treatment or should i just dive in order some offline. TIA

lamaria211, No those types of conditioners won't do much for you in the idea of a colorant. Henna for the most part if pretty cheap to get. Check it out at your local indian grocer.

Wish I could get some of that no name "crack" quality henna that your mom gets, OP! :lachen:

:lol: It's just natural henna, but I swr the way they sometimes talk about it, it sounds like crack. ''This one is even stronger than last week, you have no idea.. you gotta try it.'' :lachen:

ETA: To the ladies who asked questions, glad people chimed in to answer. The only thing I know about henna is you put it on, then wash it out lol. Oh, and it makes my hair feel F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S :grin:

Last edited:
I :love: Henna! I used to apply it once a month but I've been slacking lately. I love how it strengthens and conditions my hair. I'm planning to do another henna treatment when I go home this weekend.

Back