My Hair absolutely loves Henna. I henna every weeeeeeek!

I hennaed and it loosened my curls so I stopped...BUT I'm wondering if my mix was too acidic. If I ever try it again I'll just use the egg and oil like you.

I have so much shrinkage right now it's hilarious. Dang near waist length hair that's to my shoulders when curly. I could use some weight to my hair.

My hair could use some weight, too. Do u henna using ladies think henna adds some "weight" to the hair?

I use cassia and it definitely makes my hair heavier and thicker. It does loosen my curl pattern, but it's definitely temporary and I think this is just due to the weight that these powders add.

I used to use cassia every week like clock work, don't know why I stopped! I did a cassia treatment yesterday and what a difference it makes to my hair. Thicker, stronger and holds moisture really well. I want to maxiglide my hair soon, so thought this would be a good way to strengthen my hair beforehand. I think I may just do it every week leading up to the day.

I love your results!
I'm so afraid of using it since I've heard it can loosen curls over time.
And I'm terrified of anything that might loosen them. :(
girl follow ur gut. I'm still growing out hennaed hair that is a weird puffy straight texture, with the roots being curly and it hasn't been fun. it works well for others, but not for all.

So I hennaed over the weekend. The grey streak in the front of my head is not a golden/orange color. My husband loves it (says I would look with highlights of that color), so I'm okay with it. It loosened my girls a little bit, something I wasn't really going for, but it isn't so much that I still can't do a puff. It does feel stronger. One bad thing is that my hair isn't quite as moisturized as I thought. I wouldn't say it is dry, but hair does not feel the same (which I guess is the point).

I mixed my hennae with olive oil, water, and acv. After I rinsed it out (first dunked my head in the tub, then stood under the shower), I deep conditioned for about an hour under my bonnet dryer and then rinsed. Then I put my normal products in - water, conditioner, and shea butter mix. So next time, I think I'll go for more of a henna gloss, and add conditioner to my mix and leave the acv out of it. For those that absolutely love henna, what are you mixing it with? TIA

So I hennaed over the weekend. The grey streak in the front of my head is not a golden/orange color. My husband loves it (says I would look with highlights of that color), so I'm okay with it. It loosened my girls a little bit, something I wasn't really going for, but it isn't so much that I still can't do a puff. It does feel stronger. One bad thing is that my hair isn't quite as moisturized as I thought. I wouldn't say it is dry, but hair does not feel the same (which I guess is the point).

I mixed my hennae with olive oil, water, and acv. After I rinsed it out (first dunked my head in the tub, then stood under the shower), I deep conditioned for about an hour under my bonnet dryer and then rinsed. Then I put my normal products in - water, conditioner, and shea butter mix. So next time, I think I'll go for more of a henna gloss, and add conditioner to my mix and leave the acv out of it. For those that absolutely love henna, what are you mixing it with? TIA

I like to mix mine with a little coconut oil *sometimes* but I love the results of wheat germ oil (about a couple of ounces) in my paste (after paste has cooled down.) and regular ole drinking coffee. My hair is soft, moisturized and rinses out nicely from the WGO.

AA

Edit: The key is to make sure, it is all rinsed out. I used to complain of dryness years ago when I first started using henna. But then I started using a little of the shikakai bar mixed with a little conditioner(Vo5 or Suave) on the scalp to loosen the bits of henna more and to rinse off the residue and I have had no problems with dryness since.

Last edited:
For those that absolutely love henna, what are you mixing it with? TIA
Glad to see you had a positive experience. The added ACV maybe what caused your hair to feel a little different.

For me, I only use warm water in my henna. When I first started, I used warm green tea a few times. I just use henna + water = voila!

This thread comes right on time. I've been thinking of henna-ing my hair but does anyone know how this works with hair that already has permanent color on it? I want the conditioning and thickening benefit. Thanks in advance!

i think im about to start hennaing every week. every other week a henna gloss with conditioner and the other weeks a full strength henna with just water, honey, and a little evoo. i may add amla to keep my curls tight and the color not too red.

This thread comes right on time. I've been thinking of henna-ing my hair but does anyone know how this works with hair that already has permanent color on it? I want the conditioning and thickening benefit. Thanks in advance!

i have perm color in my hair. my hair is natural but i colored it about 2 times and i have used henna 2x already with no problem. as far as i know as long as it is 100% pure BAQ henna with no chemicals added its ok.

Thanks, chebaby! I was reading about the importance of pure BAQ henna when working with hair that has been dyed with permanent color. I was just wondering if any ladies with experience could chime in. This is something I will do except I will use cassia.

^^I know one that happened after I hannaed my already dyed hair is that it made the color a little more noticeable. Before the henna you could barely tell it was dyed but now you can definitely see the difference without the sunlight.

Oh and I just straightened my hair for the first time since the henna, and if i couldn't see the thickness the henna imparted on these fine tresses, I definitely saw it once it was straight. Before, my hair seemed wimpy when straightening, but not so much now. I wish it was heavy enough to add more weight, but unfortunately I think length will aid more in that department. Of course, who knows what a second treatment will hold. I really want to try it again but I am afraid of doing too much too soon, esp since my hair is fine.

after my first full strength henna with jamila my loose section in the front was even more loose. and this was after one full strength.
my hair felt better when i added amla and hibiscus to a conditioner so i think i will stick with that and only henna once in a while. i cant get with the changing of the texture.

i had a question to all(that hennaing evey week)
what's your routine PLEASE ???
shampoo + henna gloss weekly?
or shampoo + henna + dc ?
or henna gloss weekly and one straight henna treatment monthly ?
some protein treatment?

some protein treatment?
@Krystle~Hime

My weekly routine. From start to finish (including styling my hair) takes about 3 hrs. I am nautural and my hair is about 4" long (4Z)

Every Wednesday or Thursday.

Shampoo
Bentonite or Rhassoul Clay treatment (steam for 15 - 20 minutes). Using a hand-held mixer or immersion blender, I mix the clay with rose water or coffee or a tea. (pudding consistency; easy application, easy rinse out)
Rinse
Apply Hairveda's Vatika Frosting or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Finger detangle.
Mix henna (Karishma or Jamila henna, coffee or nettle/horsetail tea, lime or lemon juice, coconut milk)
Immediately apply it and sit under the steamer for 1 hr.
Rinse out well with conditioner
DC for 30 min (Under steamer)
Rinse; ACV final rinse.
Apply leave-in, seal and style (usually twists)

When I need to cover my grays, I add Katam to the henna mix about once a month.

Last edited:
@Krystle~Hime

My weekly routine. From start to finish (including styling my hair) takes about 3 hrs. I am nautural and my hair is about 4" long (4Z)

Every Wednesday or Thursday.

Shampoo
Bentonite or Rhassoul Clay treatment (steam for 15 - 20 minutes). Using a hand-held mixer or immersion blender, I mix the clay with rose water or coffee or a tea. (pudding consistency; easy application, easy rinse out)
Rinse
Apply Hairveda's Vatika Frosting or Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Finger detangle.
Mix henna (Karishma or Jamila henna, coffee or nettle/horsetail tea, lime or lemon juice, coconut milk)
Immediately apply it and sit under the steamer for 1 hr.
Rinse out well with conditioner
DC for 30 min (Under steamer)
Rinse; ACV final rinse.
Apply leave-in, seal and style (usually twists)

When I need to cover my grays, I add Katam to the henna mix about once a month.

thanks for have replied me !!!!!!!!!
finally i do a little the same.
but rinsing henna is so a mess that i was thinking a do some stupid things.
i rinse with condish, but I don't DC after that, as my henna mixture contains amla & brahmi powders, i think it's already a good deep treatment.

I pre-oiled my hair with mustard oil last night. I mixed up a paste with Jamilla henna, amla, brahmi powders with hibiscus fenugreek tea. I added some honey to make a smooth thick paste. I applied it to my hair, wrapped edges with cotton coil, put on 2 plastic caps and a satin cap over it and went to sleep. I think the brahmi is very relaxing. 11 hours later I washed it out easily with water, cheap conditioner, diluted acv rinse. My hair is very soft and I detangled with a denman brush and conditioner before the acv rinse. I am going to apply castorloe (castor oil and aloe vera gel) and do some bantu knots. Castorloe is what happens when you have castor oil, aloe vera gel and forgot to restock the shea butter :look: it feels good on my skin :grin:

some protein treatment?

I unbraid my hair and apply my mix to unwashed hair.

Reshma henna, olive oil, amla oil, coconut milk, yoghurt, wheat germ oil and a conditioner for moisture and maybe a deep conditioner and detangler.

Baggy (3 - 5 hours) and go about my business.

Wash with a moisturizing shampoo and about a (teaspoon) neutralizing or clarifying shampoo.

Condition again for about 5 minutes.

Porosity control for 30 seconds to a minute.

Rinse.

Apply a leave in to damp hair.

Seal.

some protein treatment?

I wash my hair with Kenra sulfate free shea butter shampoo. I let it air dry until it's damp without putting anything in it.

I apply my Reshma henna mix (I mix it with whatever I have in the refrigerator. I've used pure cranberry juice, lemon juice, alove vera juice, hot water...doesn't matter). Put on a plastic cap and leave it in my hair for 3 hours.

Rinse it out in the shower and use Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Conditioner while rinsing to help slide the henna off. I rinse for a really long time to make sure that I get ALL of the henna out.

I then apply my leave in conditioner and KCCC and I'm done.

some protein treatment?

i henna every week. im natural but my hair holds on to moisture so much that i need a ton of protein. so my routine is this:
i shampoo with aphogee for damaged hair or creme of nature, henna for up to 6 hours,rinse with a cheap conditioner and then leave a deep conditioner in my hair for 5 minutes. some times i use moisture deep conditioner and sometimes i follow my henna with protein. it all depends on what i feel.

Imma need ... an intervention

hennaed twice in 3 days ... it started out as just amla and some warm tea ... and then a few tablespoons of brahmi. And then I noticed there was about 1 ounce of jamilla left in the box so I added it to the paste :look:

Back