My Hair absolutely loves Henna. I henna every weeeeeeek!

I'm back ladies. Tonight will be my very first henna application. My mix was very simple: about 130 grams of Jamila henna, 4 tablespoons of Amla powder, 3 big squirts of honey, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, a few drops of Dabur Vatika and warm water. Mixed this all together with water until I got a pancake batter consistency. I did the strand test and the color I got from 2 hours of henna was a beautiful auburn color. (My original color is a 4 and I'm a relaxed head). I got dye release fairly quickly (placed on warm stove top for about 4 hours). That's about it. I will post before and after pics for ya'll cuz I know ya'll gon go off if I come back raving without them. :lol:

I love henna too. it did wonders for color and manageability. My hair was a lot stronger with it in. However, I can't use it every week. I use it once per month. Every week seems a bit much to me and I don't even know if my hair can handle that lol.

I'm back ladies. Tonight will be my very first henna application. My mix was very simple: about 130 grams of Jamila henna, 4 tablespoons of Amla powder, 3 big squirts of honey, 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, a few drops of Dabur Vatika and warm water. Mixed this all together with water until I got a pancake batter consistency. I did the strand test and the color I got from 2 hours of henna was a beautiful auburn color. (My original color is a 4 and I'm a relaxed head). I got dye release fairly quickly (placed on warm stove top for about 4 hours). That's about it. I will post before and after pics for ya'll cuz I know ya'll gon go off if I come back raving without them. :lol:

Wow Gurlllllllll. What a nice lil mix you did. I've got honey in my house, might just have to add that :lol:

Can't wait for your before and after pics :grin:

I love henna too. it did wonders for color and manageability. My hair was a lot stronger with it in. However, I can't use it every week. I use it once per month. Every week seems a bit much to me and I don't even know if my hair can handle that lol.

lol. An hour is fine.

Overnight... hmmm that may be a bit much.

I actually left the Henna in for 14 hours. I followed the curly nikki method and let the dye release for 30 minutes before applying it and sleeping with it on my head lol. I didn't rinse till the next day. And I have to say that curlies have a right to feel like it's a risk. Henna loosened my curls significantly and I knew this may be a possiblity from reading CN. My 4a coils loosened a little bit and even resembles 3c. While my 3c stayed the same.

Thanks for the testimonial. It'll be my first time using it this week. I'm mixing it with a little lemon juice, water and fenugeek. I'm testing it to see how it does on my dandruff

I actually left the Henna in for 14 hours. I followed the curly nikki method and let the dye release for 30 minutes before applying it and sleeping with it on my head lol. I didn't rinse till the next day. And I have to say that curlies have a right to feel like it's a risk. Henna loosened my curls significantly and I knew this may be a possiblity from reading CN. My 4a coils loosened a little bit and even resembles 3c. While my 3c stayed the same.

wow, 14 hours. I wish I was that patient. I didn't really do research online, I just copied what my mum does lol.

My curls seem the same. I haven't noticed anything different so far. I think I'm a 3c too. Duno if I have diff hair types within my hair... seems pretty much the same. Maybe henna makes people who have a mixture, all one ?

I usually do my henna overnight as well. I dunno, I guess I don't like to feel like I'm wasting money lol. The last henna I used was Reshma henna. Before that, I've only ever used Karishma henna. The Reshma, imo loosened my curl pattern. But, It was only temporary! I love, love, love my Karishma!

I usually do my henna overnight as well. I dunno, I guess I don't like to feel like I'm wasting money lol. The last henna I used was Reshma henna. Before that, I've only ever used Karishma henna. The Reshma, imo loosened my curl pattern. But, It was only temporary! I love, love, love my Karishma!

This is all new info to me. So I decided to do some youtube search.. and I came across this video ---> YouTube - Henna Review Part 3: loosened my 3c curls drammatically

Well I was listening to her, I was going throught the comments. Somebody commented ''not all henna changes the curl pattern, it depends on the plant/region it`s from. Yemeni henna for example doesn`t change it.''

and hey, what do you know. The Henna my mum always has/uses is from Yemen. I guess that's why I've noticed no change.

I used to think Henna was just Henna... lol... Clearly there's more to it :lol: Well you learn something new everyday. :yep:

Weekly henna head checking in. I LOVE LOVE LOVE henna and can't say it enough. However in the past two months I've been so busy, I'm lucky to do it once a month and I can already see a change in my hair. Getting back on track with my love Reshma this weekend.

Co-signing on the henna!!! I don't use it nearly enough so I'm going to increase my frequency to 1X/month.
I always end up with stronger more resilient hair after the treatment and I need all the help i can get with this transition.
Last weekend I mixed Karishma Henna w/ warm distilled water and wheatgerm oil (2 tblspns or so). I sat under the dryeer for an hour to speed up the color release since I didn't have the time to keep it in overnight as usual.
I DC'd w/ Kenra MC afterwards and my hair was soft and strong.

Ok...so I finally got around to uploading the pictures. First off, I loooovveeee my results. My hair is so soft, strong, and shiny. I definitely plan on adding this to my regimen. Maybe one a month or so. So for a reminder, I am relaxed and I had no problems whatsoever. If you are contemplating henna, GO FOR IT! It will only help if you get good quality henna (I used Jamila...love it). Ok...on to the pitchas!

Before:

before2.jpg

before1.jpg

After (wet):

afterwet.jpg

After (dry):

after1.jpg

after1-1.jpg

FYI, the color will darken as it oxidizes, so unless you are a light color to start out, you won't get very drastic results. So, if color change is something youre afraid of, don't be. My auburn color is really apparant in the right lighting because my natural color was somewhat light, but in normal light, its not that different from my original color. Henna is the ish ladies! I am a user for life!:yep:

The last few months have been sooo busy for me. I haven't henna'd since the end of June. But I plan to henna tomorrow (work being done on my bathroom or else I would doing it right now). I've never done it as frequently as a once a week. I love the results of henna but hate the application process so I doubt I would have the patience to do it weekly. But I usually doing it every month and I absolutely love the results.

Once a week is really frequent is it possible to use henna as a cleansing paste?

I usually use the shikakai mixed with a bit of brahmi as a cleansing paste. I let it sit on the scalp for at least 1/2 hr. and then rinse thoroughly. Itchy scalp gone! Stronger roots. Less hair fall(shedding) and soft hair. Condition well afterwards.

AA

I usually use the shikakai mixed with a bit of brahmi as a cleansing paste. I let it sit on the scalp for at least 1/2 hr. and then rinse thoroughly. Itchy scalp gone! Stronger roots. Less hair fall(shedding) and soft hair. Condition well afterwards.

AA
Brahmi is by far my fave powder! I like to use the same mix, as well as maka to make my paste.

I hennaed and it loosened my curls so I stopped...BUT I'm wondering if my mix was too acidic. If I ever try it again I'll just use the egg and oil like you.

I have so much shrinkage right now it's hilarious. Dang near waist length hair that's to my shoulders when curly. I could use some weight to my hair.

I hennaed and it loosened my curls so I stopped...BUT I'm wondering if my mix was too acidic. If I ever try it again I'll just use the egg and oil like you.

I have so much shrinkage right now it's hilarious. Dang near waist length hair that's to my shoulders when curly. I could use some weight to my hair.

I've also read that using amla powder in your henna mix will help counteract the curl loosening. I bought some amla powder at the indian store but haven't tried it out yet.

I love henna too. :reddancer: I've always loved the smell(it reminds me of my grandma), I love the feel of the powder and I love the pudding-like consistency that results from my mix. After a long break from henna, I started up again last September. I henna once a month - usually with green tea, cheaper condish and amla oil. Lately, i've just been using hot water in place of tea. I'm due for my next henna session this weekend.

I'm not sure how well the search feature is working, but anyone who wants to learn more about henna can search for the keyword henna + user name jamaraa - she has great posts on the topic. :yep:

I have my henna in right now. I'm about to rinse out with V05 Moisture Milks and do a Moisturizing DC. I add ayurvedic oils to mine. My relaxed hair is in love with it. It really helps during my stretches, little to no breakage. I also retained all of my length since my HHJ started in May 2010!

Okay so here it goes. I would love to try henna but there is just one problem: I have a grey patch in the front of my hair that I really don't want dyed. I know people mention Cassia as an option, but I read that although it will not affect dark hair, it will alter the color of blond and grey hair. If I had grey sprinkled all over, I'd be all for either option, but with it being smack in the front center of my hair, I don't want to have to deal with being forced to upkeep it to keep the color and don't know if I really want a bright red or gold (from cassia) greeting folks.

Are there any other options? I don't know, maybe after I tried either one, I will be so in love with the benefits, I won't care and I'll want to do the upkeep.

Okay so here it goes. I would love to try henna but there is just one problem: I have a grey patch in the front of my hair that I really don't want dyed. I know people mention Cassia as an option, but I read that although it will not affect dark hair, it will alter the color of blond and grey hair. If I had grey sprinkled all over, I'd be all for either option, but with it being smack in the front center of my hair, I don't want to have to deal with being forced to upkeep it to keep the color and don't know if I really want a bright red or gold (from cassia) greeting folks.

Are there any other options? I don't know, maybe after I tried either one, I will be so in love with the benefits, I won't care and I'll want to do the upkeep.

Hmmm that is a delimma,

I have some silver myself. But I happen to enjoy the reddish metalic copper penny highlights. The color twinkles in the sunlight.:yep:

But I understand the concern, you like your gray. lol!:lol:

Yeah I think Cassia would alter the gray color a bit. Hmmm, trying using Brahmi with hibiscus, with a little shikakai and see what happens.

AA

Is the gray placed where you could just part it away and henna the rest of your head and leave the gray patch out? That's what I'd do.

^^ I can part my hair in a way that could it from getting henna'd, but I'd want it to have the same benefits as the rest of my hair (I know I'm getting to picky).

Also it is not that I love my grey so much that I don't want it dyed. I've dyed my hair in the best and the grey streak turning a brighter color than the rest of the hair is pretty cool...that is until it begins to grow out and the color fades. I'm left with this yellow color that I just have to wait for it to grow out. I guess I just don't like the idea of having to do touch-up's.

but you know what I might just bite the bullet and do it. I would love stronger thicker strands, so I'll just deal.

Perhaps you can henna & then do indigo if you would like a nice glossy black color.

Update: I was walking down the street when I looked in a store window and noticed that my hair looks almost fiery in the sun! In normal light is a slight auburn color, but with the sun at my back, my strands are a fiiery burnt orangish red color! I love it! And the thing I like about hennaing with henna alone is that if i get tired of this look, I can mix in some indigo and go darker! So I'm experimenting with this color and when I tire of it (if I do), I'll mix some indigo with my henna to get a warm brown. Yay for henna! Lol.

This seems like something I should try. I really don't know which brand to use though.

Back