My First Successful Flat Ironing as a Natural!!!(pics)

SmilingElephant

I gave in to my urge to straighten my hair today. I am SO happy with the way it came out....i just hate that when i stretch it it seems longer than it does when flat ironed:ohwell:

I just shampooed with a Suave naturals shampoo and detangled/deep conditioned with my Novex Chocolate deep treatment (Brazillian conditioner i bought from Bluebeez.com:lick:)...i also used it as a leave in and i put in some GVP Silk Infusion...blowdried using the tension method like judy4all does and followed with my Denman brush...i put my hair in big twists as a i blowdried in sections..then i used the comb chase method while flat ironing. I have the GVP flat iron and i used the heat on 410 degrees.

BSBstretched.jpg

PreFlatIron.jpg

PreFlatIron2.jpg

FlatIron.jpg

FlatIron2.jpg

Here's the back...i did some light dusting too...my ends weren't as bad as i feared!:)

FlatIron3.jpg

FlatIron4.jpg

The last pic i have my hand on the top of where my bra strap is.

Looks great. I remember i made a thread about hair being longer when we stretch it with our hands in comparison to straightening (flat ironing). I have yet to straighten but this is what i feared. LOL

looks great actually, very healthy and full.

lol, i used to always get the meh feeling after i'd flat ironed my hair, cuz i'd always be stretching it out to check the progress. then by the time id actually straighten it, it'd be like ugh borderline disappointment

:lol: It's so annoying!

I was whining about it to my sister and she was like it may be bc i didn't iron it THAT straight...it has volume to it...so the "lifting" of it makes it look shorter...but...*sigh*:lol:

I'm happy with it! I can wear a ponytail! I guess i'll have to wait til i'm an inch past the milestone before i claim it then?:whyme:

Anyways...thanks y'all!

I am sure if your hair was bone straight it will be the stretched length. When I made that thread a lot of people were acting like they didn't know what I was talking about. LOL Like huh?? Your hair looks beautiful by the way. I have NO SKILLS so I won't attempt and fail just yet!

I am sure if your hair was bone straight it will be the stretched length. When I made that thread a lot of people were acting like they didn't know what I was talking about. LOL Like huh?? Your hair looks beautiful by the way. I have NO SKILLS so I won't attempt and fail just yet!

:lol: I actually remember that thread! Thank you...my last flat iron was a huuuuuuge flop!:nono: It was just messy! But i am SO thankful for judy4all's video! It was almost a Dominican blowout!:grin: And then doing the comb chase method afterward in small sections is what helped.

I left my hair in the twists after blowdrying and then undid the twists and section THOSE off as needed(like, if the twist was too thick) and flat ironed that way:yep:

Hopefully it stays looking decent for a week and a half or two...and of course it decided to pour down raining! But i didn't go outside:lol:

I think it's because when you stretch your hair to assess the length you have to factor in the elasticity of your hair. The key word is "stretch." When you're pulling your hair down you're adding extra weight and tension from your hand, regardless of how softly you pull it.

When it's flat ironed, it's just hanging there on its own weight. The weight of your hair by itself clearly isn't gonna amount to the weight of your hair when your hand is attached. So it'll look longer with more weight because of the stretchy properties of your hair vs when it's at rest.

I hope that makes sense. Nice hair!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

SmilingElephant

how many months natural are you here? and how long did you transitioned?
Your hair look fabulous girl!!!!! keep it up!!!

Thanks!:D

I am currently 1 year and 1 month natural (13 months) BUT i did an 8 month transition starting in May 2010:yep:...so that's 21 months of newgrowth on my head.

I think it's because when you stretch your hair to assess the length you have to factor in the elasticity of your hair. The key word is "stretch." When you're pulling your hair down you're adding extra weight and tension from your hand, regardless of how softly you pull it.

When it's flat ironed, it's just hanging there on its own weight. The weight of your hair by itself clearly isn't gonna amount to the weight of your hair when your hand is attached. So it'll look longer with more weight because of the stretchy properties of your hair vs when it's at rest.

I hope that makes sense. Nice hair!

Sent from my iPhone 4S using LHCF

That makes a lot of sense! I didn't even factor in hand weight...i havee these tiny hands...they're like spider hands:lachen:

I never think of them as "heavy"....but now that you say that...that does make sense.:yep:

You did a great job!!! So happy you went natural. And it better revert! I will stab you if it doesnt!

Thanks Mo!:grin: Girl if this hair don't revert i will stab my own self, mmkay?!:lol:

I'm glad i went natural too! It feels so much more thicker and SOFTER than when i flat ironed on relaxed hair! I need a real camera to take pics bc...it has a nice shine to it too:yep: It feels....sooo...puhluuuussssshhhhhh:mmmchocolate:

Hey girl, it looks fantastic! Full and healthy. Keep inspiring me! Hope all is well!:grin:

Hey there!:wave: Thank you! How are you doing?!!:hug2: I miss you!!!

Last edited:
Back