My first Self Relaxing!!

moonwalking

Hi ladies, so I just got through the process of my first self relaxing and I would have to say that it was a success since I still managed to keep my hair on my head!:yay:

But unfortunately (or fortunately) it came out underprocessed! :nono: I think I did everything right. I even left it on 10 mins past the 20 mins max time. Because I was trying to move fast, I didnt have time to really smooth the hair - could that have been the cause of my underprocessing?

I use Design Essentials as my relaxer of choice. I really do like it, esp when my stylist used it, but it is a slow acting/processing relaxer (they even say it on the container) and I believe my stylist always kept it on longer then 20 mins. Should I have maybe kept it on a bit longer?

I basically want to go back in and fix the sections that didn't get fully processed. So I really want to know: how long should I wait before I re-relax the ones that didn't take?

Any ideas/advice on what I did wrong and what I could do better would be greatly appreciated! :look:

Okay, first: you should always follow the directions given on the packaging when relaxing at home... if you do not, you can end up damaging your hair and scalp. If you feel like when you're following the directions as given, your hair is not getting relaxed to your desired level of straightness, I'd suggest you use a stronger formula.

In my experience, not smoothing out the relaxer CAN cause your hair to come out less than straight. NO you should not have left it on even longer than the 30 minutes that you did... you should have just smoothed it out.

I would suggest going to a professional for your corrective relaxer, especially since you don't have any experience self-relaxing.

Next time, I suggest doing your relaxer in sections so that you have time to apply, and smooth without leaving it on too long.

HTH!

Personally...I would just wait until your next relaxer to correct things. Focus on healthy hair..otherwise you might just damage it, There has been to many tragic stories of hair relaxers. Give you scalp and hair a rest. Happy growing....:)

I wouldn't do a corrective.

If you're unhappy with the straightness then you should probably move up from regular to super, definitely don't leave it on longer than the time in the directions.

Maybe try a different brand.

Thanks ladies for the quick responses! I think I'll wait until my next relaxer to do the corrective. I don't think it's the strength of the relaxer b/c when my stylist uses it, my hair become bone straight. Reading your responses, I think it may have been that I didn't smooth it out thoroughly enough.

But I want to continue learning how to self relax b/c although my stylist got my hair to it's desired straightness, she always started at the nape up and wouldn't start at the tops as I requested, which is where most of my NG is and also the coarses part of my hair. Eventually the back of my hair became overprocessed.

I've read on LHCF about relaxing in sections (where you relax one part of your hair and then the other after nuetralizing). I think I'll try that method and keep you all posted on my next results!

Okay, first: you should always follow the directions given on the packaging when relaxing at home... if you do not, you can end up damaging your hair and scalp. If you feel like when you're following the directions as given, your hair is not getting relaxed to your desired level of straightness, I'd suggest you use a stronger formula.

In my experience, not smoothing out the relaxer CAN cause your hair to come out less than straight. NO you should not have left it on even longer than the 30 minutes that you did... you should have just smoothed it out.

I would suggest going to a professional for your corrective relaxer, especially since you don't have any experience self-relaxing.

Next time, I suggest doing your relaxer in sections so that you have time to apply, and smooth without leaving it on too long.

HTH!

Really? There isn't anyone on here that leaves it in a little longer? My hair has never gotten straight enough in the maximum allowance time...it's extremely hard for me to believe. I think that the time frame given is the company disclaimer. I also don't feel comfortable going up in strength or hopping from relaxer to relaxer. There's got to be others who know what I'm talking about.

To the op: I'd wait 4 weeks and then do a corrective if the textures are too different. that was my last relaxer experience :( The two textures were hard for me to manage before the corrective.
hth.

Thanks ladies for the quick responses! I think I'll wait until my next relaxer to do the corrective. I don't think it's the strength of the relaxer b/c when my stylist uses it, my hair become bone straight. Reading your responses, I think it may have been that I didn't smooth it out thoroughly enough.

But I want to continue learning how to self relax b/c although my stylist got my hair to it's desired straightness, she always started at the nape up and wouldn't start at the tops as I requested, which is where most of my NG is and also the coarses part of my hair. Eventually the back of my hair became overprocessed.

I've read on LHCF about relaxing in sections (where you relax one part of your hair and then the other after nuetralizing). I think I'll try that method and keep you all posted on my next results!

I think what may have happened was you skipping the smoothing process, when I did go to salons, I remember her telling me that that is the most important step. I texlax my own hair and to prevent overprocessing, I wait until I have at least an inch of new growth and I put conditioner and petroleum jelly on all my hair besides new growth. I definately think you should wait until your next touch-up, no corrective action, you could overprocess and there is no turning back from that...

Last edited:
Really? There isn't anyone on here that leaves it in a little longer? My hair has never gotten straight enough in the maximum allowance time...it's extremely hard for me to believe. I think that the time frame given is the company disclaimer. I also don't feel comfortable going up in strength or hopping from relaxer to relaxer. There's got to be others who know what I'm talking about.

To the op: I'd wait 4 weeks and then do a corrective if the textures are too different. that was my last relaxer experience :( The two textures were hard for me to manage before the corrective.
hth.

I mean, to each her own but I know that I personally will not be compromising the health of my hair and scalp by not following the directions given... I mean, they came up with those time parameters for a reason... if I should leave the relaxer on my hair for 30 minutes then I'm sure they would tell me on the box "Leave relaxer on hair for 30 minutes."

I like to err on the side of caution, but that's just me.

I completely understand. I'm just coming from the view that we each use products differently. It's weird that everytime i ask this question people jump in and say..."no don't ever leave it that long" But i'm sure somebody does. It takes 40 minutes for my hair to process completely (application+smoothing), only a litte less if I go to a stylist. But then again my naturally coarse hair is known for tolerating 2 relaxers in one day :perplexed
Like any product I figure they give those guidelines as guidelines...

I mean, to each her own but I know that I personally will not be compromising the health of my hair and scalp by not following the directions given... I mean, they came up with those time parameters for a reason... if I should leave the relaxer on my hair for 30 minutes then I'm sure they would tell me on the box "Leave relaxer on hair for 30 minutes."

I like to err on the side of caution, but that's just me.

I agree. Why would they lie? They want people to use their products and be happy with the results. If they put an incorrect time so many people would get underprocessed results and would switch to another brand or leave it on too long and get breakage. After enough breakage they would either switch brands or go natural.

While waiting for your next relaxer, it might help if you practice application by using a deep conditioner and an application brush. I have a friend do this and she says it helps her a lot.

Not smoothing will leave your hair underprocessed. If you want your hair straight, you have to smooth.

The first time I did my self relaxer I did the whole head at once and it didnt even look like a relaxer touched my head. I have to do mine in sections.

I think you should wait 6 weeks before perming it again.

Back