MY FIRST CONDITIONER WASH!!

greenidlady1

Hi Ladies,

I'm excited and had to share!! Yesterday curiosity got the best of me and I decided to see if the famous conditioner (no poo) wash is all it's cracked up to be. It had been four days since I'd washed my hair with shampoo. I used St. Ives Vanilla and Edelweiss conditioner, then deep conditioned like usual.

So far, I LOVE IT!!! Even though I fell asleep when my hair was air drying, the comb out was like it is 1-3 weeks after a touch up! I mean there was at least 70% less hair in the comb than usual!!!

And my hair is so soft!!! Now I see what everyone means about conditioner washes softening that new growth. This is going to be a new addition to my routine in 2004!!!
smile.gif

Take care,
G

the comb out was like it is 1-3 weeks after a touch up! I mean there was at least 70% less hair in the comb than usual!!!

so does that mean you dont comb/detangle before you conditioner wash your hair???

Hi Bree,

No, I usually comb and detangle before I wash my hair. But, after the no-poo wash and deep conditioner, I had a lot less hair in the comb then when I use shampoo.

Take care,
G

Hi Bree,

No, I usually comb and detangle before I wash my hair. But, after the no-poo wash and deep conditioner, I had a lot less hair in the comb then when I use shampoo and deep conditioner.

Take care,
G

[ QUOTE ]
Lboogie said:
How excatly do you do it and what is the benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wash your hair in the shower (or sink if that is your presence) and use conditioner...instead of shampoo...

There are enough sulfates in conditioner to remove oil and dirt from your hair...shampoos can be very drying because they contain great amounts of sulfates...and thus must be followed up with a conditioner. Some conditioners actually LATHER...so there are sulfates in them...but not nearly as much as shampoo...

If you are transitioning or going great lengths of time between relaxers...it is essential that you condition, condition, condition your hair to avoid breakage...

Some people complain of build up...however you have to try it for yourself. I personally have not used shampoo since April of 2003....and have never had a problem with buildup.

My sister who perms faithfully...has now gone 16 weeks without a relaxer...her new growth is strong...she has stopped the shedding and no breakage...

Try it for a few weeks and see if you dont notice clean and softer hair.

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
[ QUOTE ]
Lboogie said:
How excatly do you do it and what is the benefit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wash your hair in the shower (or sink if that is your presence) and use conditioner...instead of shampoo...

There are enough sulfates in conditioner to remove oil and dirt from your hair...shampoos can be very drying because they contain great amounts of sulfates...and thus must be followed up with a conditioner. Some conditioners actually LATHER...so there are sulfates in them...but not nearly as much as shampoo...

If you are transitioning or going great lengths of time between relaxers...it is essential that you condition, condition, condition your hair to avoid breakage...

Some people complain of build up...however you have to try it for yourself. I personally have not used shampoo since April of 2003....and have never had a problem with buildup.

My sister who perms faithfully...has now gone 16 weeks without a relaxer...her new growth is strong...she has stopped the shedding and no breakage...

Try it for a few weeks and see if you dont notice clean and softer hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!
grin.gif

Will do...is there a recommended conditioner?

[ QUOTE ]
greenidlady1 said:
Hi Bree,

No, I usually comb and detangle before I wash my hair. But, after the no-poo wash and deep conditioner, I had a lot less hair in the comb then when I use shampoo and deep conditioner.

Take care,
G

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks

I've conditioner washed the last couple of times - 2 times in the last 3 days and my hair is soooo much softer - 23 weeks post-relaxer. I conditioner washed my 4-year-old's hair last night for the first time (because it seems as though she loves for the other kids to POUR sand in her hair. Normally I comb her hair through with the conditioner, but she was acting silly so I just rinsed it out and left a little in for a leave-in. Then I sprayed some Sta-sof-fro, some UBH cream moisturizer and some essential oils and I've never had an easier comb-out with her hair. EVER.

This is definitely a keeper. And I don't comb/detangle before I wash. I let the conditioner and water do that for me.

Not really...it's whatever works for you....

When I was transitioning...I used a protein conditioner...to keep my permed ends strong and flexible...while I obtained the length I needed before I did the big chop....

Now that I am natural...I use a hummectant conditioner...because I want moisture drawn into my natural hair...

Since I am a product Junkie...to the inth degree...
I use whatever fits the moisture catagory...but smells great and is really thick and creamy.

Thanks for all the additional information. I had no idea how drying even non SLS shampoos can be until yesterday- it makes such a difference without shampoo.

I was wondering about the possibility of build up as well, but that's why I decided to try this when it had only been 4 days since my last shampoo.

Take care,
G

I love conditioner washes...but it's too darn cold here
ill.gif

P.S. I see you people laughing who see I'm in Georgia
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
LuLu said:
ill.gif

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...yah, that would be me
rofl.gif
I'm a frequent conditioner washer too from CANADA!!!
laugh.gif
rofl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
shinyblackhair said:
[ QUOTE ]
LuLu said:
ill.gif

laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...yah, that would be me
rofl.gif
I'm a frequent conditioner washer too from CANADA!!!
laugh.gif
rofl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now I just feel ridiculous
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
...and Lulu, it ain't that cold in Georgia!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just picking!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm being a wimp, I'm from Maryland for goodness sake, but DSD you know it has been a lot colder than usual here.

[ QUOTE ]
LuLu said:
[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
...and Lulu, it ain't that cold in Georgia!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Just picking!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I'm being a wimp, I'm from Maryland for goodness sake, but DSD you know it has been a lot colder than usual here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah girl, that's why I do mine at night!
smile.gif

It's good to know that your first conditioner wash went wonderful, but I noticed that you mentioned that after your conditioner wash, you said you then deep conditioned as usual. I think that might be over-conditioning your hair and if you continue to conditioner wash and deep condition afterwards then you'll overload your tresses with conditioner which will cause build up and make your hair limp and eventually the conditioner will just sit on your hair and not do what it's supposed to do.

I'm learning so I need clarity...If I wash my hair with conditioner as if its my shampoo...I'm not supposed to follow up with a moisturizing or deep conditioning conditioner?...because I would use a conditioner if I had used a real shampoo...just wondering.

Thanks

When I use conditioner as if it was shampoo to clean my hair, I do follow with a moisturizing or deep conditioner. The conditioner to wash with is typically a light, clean rinsing conditioner. (like V05 clarifying conditioner).

That's a really good point and I'm glad that you brought it up because I didn't want to lose the benefits of the conditioner wash with a lot of buildup. What I did on my next regular shampoo wash was to use a clarifying shampoo along with a mixture of the clarifying shampoo and Alberto VO5 Kiwi Lime clarifying conditioner on my ends. This worked out well and I felt that my hair was 'clean'. I try to do a clarifying wash once a month, so now I'll have to take a look at refining my regime.
smile.gif

Take care,
G

Co washes are great. I just tried one a few days ago with 5-in-1 Conditioner. There was virtually no shedding during my comb-out!!!

Ballet Bun ...
driver.gif

Lulu, ITA about it being cold in GA. I am in Macon and would really like to try co but it is just too cold and when I do wash my hair because it is so coarse and thick it takes about 24hrs for it to dry. I could wash my hair in the evening and the next morning it would still be damp
frown.gif
and I feel it is just too cold to go out with damp hair but in the spring time I will surely give them a try.

Typically if I do a conditioner wash, I don't follow up with another conditioner...BUT if it's a shampoo wash day, I will sometimes use two separate conditioners and condition twice esp if I use protein.

Back