My DivaSmooth Review (Relaxed, 10wks post, w/ PICS & a LONG review)

Solitude

How did you apply it, wet or dry hair?

I started trying to apply it on dry hair, but it was too sticky, so I dampened my hair with water using a spray bottle to finish the application.

Did you blow dry or wet set?

I dried my hair about 50% under a hood dryer on low, pretty much an air-dry after I put in my leave-ins (Garnier Fructis smoothing milk and chi silk infusion), then I finished drying it with a blow dryer and comb attachment. I then flat-ironed with a 1-inch Biosilk Tourmaline Ceramic flat iron (by Farouk.) I flat iron on a low setting – only 280 degrees & one pass. Clearly, my hair would be straighter/ silkier at a higher setting, so keep that in mind.

Does it feel like a chemical on your hair?

No, it doesn't feel anything like a chemical AT ALL. I took a lot of shots of my new growth texture, so people can see that it's not like a relaxer. It made my hair and new growth softer and easier to comb through, but it did not actually straighten it like a relaxer.

Is this a keeper for you?

Yes! I plan to keep using it and I will re-order because I am trying to do a loooong stretch & this made it easy to comb through my new growth. My hair felt sooo soft and it had a nice bounce and shine. I usually hate flat-ironing, but this one came out well without all those little broken hairs everywhere. I was impressed with the level of conditioning. I always pre-poo, but this is the best pre-poo I have done, if you want to call it that.

Could some members make this at home?
Yes. I don’t doubt that some of our mixtresses have a similar product that they make already. If this is you, you don’t need this!

Coconut Virgin Hair Serum
IMO, this is just like coconut oil. It worked well, but the bottle is really tiny. I won't re-purchase it.

What about working out?
I have no idea. I have been ill. I plan on working out this weekend, though.

Yeah, so will this straighten my hair/ loosen my texture?
I don’t know! LOL. It seemed to loosen mine, but I only have new growth. It definitely softened my NG and made it a whole lot easier to deal with. It will SMOOTH – hence the name DivaSmooth, but I don’t think it will STRAIGHTEN without the use of thermal heating appliances. As I said, this is a keeper for me.

Pics are below…..sorry they are HUGE! I tried 3 times to re-size them, but I am tired. ETA: They look regular now! Yea.

Dry hair before application:
CIMG0193.jpg

Blow-dried after application:
CIMG0192.jpg

Flat-ironed @ 280 degrees:
CIMG0248.jpg

Results:
CIMG0204.jpg

I’m feeling ill & I am really busy with law school; I’ll try to log back in tomorrow and check on this thread, or you can PM me.

UPDATE: After about 4 or 5 days, I shampoo'd and roller set my hair. I did the saran wrap method, but did not blow out my roots. They were smooth at first & I was really excited, but after going outside, they got pretty puffy :-(. The moral is what we already figured out: tension and heat may still be needed to get your roots or natural hair straight.

I did not exercise any time between the application & shampooing (I'm sad to admit) a) because I was still sick and b) I had a legal memo due! Sorry....

In a a couple of weeks or so, I plan to use DivaSmooth again as a yummy DC :lick:.

Final Update: Feel free to PM me with any questions. I had stopped checking on this thread because there was way too much drama surrounding this product. However, I did continue to use it and I will do a new update soon.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your review. This could be the thing for a natural like myself. Please let us know how it went after you exercised and thanks again!

Also if you could check in a couple weeks from now and talk about the "condition" of your hair. I'm wondering how long it works, and how it affects the hair in the long run. I know they say it's a conditioner and all natural, but similar stuff was said about rio.

Your hair is beautiful! I like the thickness and shine.

Do you use a color or rinse or is your hair naturally black like that.

Thanks so much for your review. This could be the thing for a natural like myself. Please let us know how it went after you exercised and thanks again!

Also if you could check in a couple weeks from now and talk about the "condition" of your hair. I'm wondering how long it works, and how it affects the hair in the long run. I know they say it's a conditioner and all natural, but similar stuff was said about rio.

No problem. I'll check back in in a couple of weeks & after this weekend. I wasn't scared to try it only because janelle beauty seems to have a lot of other natural products. I didn't know about Rio until the ladies here discussed how the company lied. That's pretty scary :perplexed.

Your hair is beautiful! I like the thickness and shine.

Do you use a color or rinse or is your hair naturally black like that.

Thanks! I use a black rinse. Clairol Beautiful Collections. My hair isn't even nearly as thick as it used to be. I plan on stretching longer or even transitioning this year.

Thanks so much for your review. Instead of straightening the hair like a chemical it seems to loosen the curl pattern. I get it. I think Im' going to try it. I wonder will it help my hair when I work out.

It looks very nice! What hair type are you? I'm interested but I have a lot of type 4a/b hair and I'm wondering if this would be effective.

Thanks so much for the review and pics. I last relaxed 9/2/08, so I've got plenty of beads:lachen:

I look forward to your report after working out. I walk 6 days a week, and do weights 3 times of week.

It looks very nice! What hair type are you? I'm interested but I have a lot of type 4a/b hair and I'm wondering if this would be effective.

Thanks. Based on what I've learned here at LHCF, I think I'm 4a, but I haven't had a full head of natural hair since I was a kid. I'm pretty sure I'm 4a or 4b, though.

Your hair is very pretty Mizz.

Okay with that said, I just don't get it. You blowdried and flat ironed your hair after using the product. So why attribute your results to the product and not the blowdrying and flat ironing?:spinning:

If you have to blow dry and flat iron your hair to get these results then I don't thinks it's worth it IMO. I really don't see anything special or different about this product compared to what has already been discussed on this board for years.

But once again thanks for sharing.

Your hair is very pretty Mizz.

Okay with that said, I just don't get it. You blowdried and flat ironed your hair after using the product. So why attribute your results to the product and not the blowdrying and flat ironing?:spinning:

If you have to blow dry and flat iron your hair to get these results then I don't thinks it's worth it IMO. I really don't see anything special or different about this product compared to what has already been discussed on this board for years.

But once again thanks for sharing.

Yes, I see exactly what you're saying. That's why I stressed that this did NOT straighten my hair - the blow dryer & flat iron did. I don't know if it should really be being marketed as an alternative to relaxers - instead, maybe help stretching or transitioning. Usually, at 10 weeks post, I cannot comb through my NG comfortably & I end up relaxing. So, for me, the benefits were:

1. It smoothed my NG and made it easier to comb through
2. It deeply conditioned my hair and I saw no breakage or little hairs everywhere when I flat-ironed. I usually don't use direct heat because I fear seeing those little broken hairs.
3. Deeper bounce & shine - it's been 3 days and my hair is still smooth and soft. Usually, I'd be ready to wash again to get my softness back.

I'm going to look for a pic of how thin & lifeless my hair usually looks after a flat-iron to compare.....but, yeah, a lot of members may have been right when they said they already make or know of comparable products.

ETA: It's kind of funny, Xavier, because I told my roommate. "This stuff made my hair so soft!" and she was like, "Your hair is always soft." :ohwell:

Last edited:
LOL Mizzdebbi...Well thank you for the very detailed review. I appreciate such detail rather than the usual.."I used it and I liked it". This is sooooo much more helpful.

Yes, I see exactly what you're saying. That's why I stressed that this did NOT straighten my hair - the blow dryer & flat iron did. I don't know if it should really be being marketed as an alternative to relaxers - instead, maybe help stretching or transitioning. Usually, at 10 weeks post, I cannot comb through my NG comfortably & I end up relaxing. So, for me, the benefits were:

1. It smoothed my NG and made it easier to comb through
2. It deeply conditioned my hair and I saw no breakage or little hairs everywhere when I flat-ironed. I usually don't use direct heat because I fear seeing those little broken hairs.
3. Deeper bounce & shine - it's been 3 days and my hair is still smooth and soft. Usually, I'd be ready to wash again to get my softness back.

I'm going to look for a pic of how thin & lifeless my hair usually looks after a flat-iron to compare.....but, yeah, a lot of members may have been right when they said they already make or know of comparable products.

ETA: It's kind of funny, Xavier, because I told my roommate. "This stuff made my hair so soft!" and she was like, "Your hair is always soft." :ohwell:

Thanks you so much for your response. Your results are wonderful, but I am just wondering if this is just a palcebo effect. I am still very skeptical but I appreciate the ones who are willing to try it and share their experiences with the product.

I would like to see the product used for a wash and go

anyone try??

I purcahsed the curl away earlier this year but I could not get into having to use heat for the applications.

Thanks for answering my many questions. It may be worth trying just to see what it does for my hair. Lord knows I've tried many other products based on the suggestions given on this forum.

I would like to see the product used for a wash and go

anyone try??

I purcahsed the curl away earlier this year but I could not get into having to use heat for the applications.

With a wash & go, you will still probably get the conditioning affect, but I don't know about the smoothing/ "straightening" without the heat.

If anyone does try it, please keep us updated!

Great review. I am glad you had the courage to be one of the first to try it. Seems to be a pretty good product though and I'm interested to see the long term results. I'll be checking back periodically to see how things go.

It sounds good, but it reminds me of Mizani Thermasmooth Line. My hairdresser used this on me, awhile back, and it seem like a relaxer. I has some problems when I couldn't relax at the time, and this stuff helps....

Im wonder is the "DIVA" similar to the Mizani Thermasmooth Line. If so then they might want to differ their concecpt on "an alternative to relaxing"

I never used the DIVA line, but the Mizani also uses coconut oil in their conditioner so help loosen the NG, before the heating process.

I read the ingredients and I am impressed. However, since I don't have any $ to buy the system I'll be making my own knockoff version since I have all of the ingredients. It sounds like a super slippy moisturizing conditioner.

It sounds good, but it reminds me of Mizani Thermasmooth Line. My hairdresser used this on me, awhile back, and it seem like a relaxer. I has some problems when I couldn't relax at the time, and this stuff helps....

Im wonder is the "DIVA" similar to the Mizani Thermasmooth Line. If so then they might want to differ their concecpt on "an alternative to relaxing"

I never used the DIVA line, but the Mizani also uses coconut oil in their conditioner so help loosen the NG, before the heating process.

Yeah, I never had major relaxer issues, but I really want to lay off the chemicals. I hope this helps while I learn more about stretching/ transitioning.

Nice and thick hair :)

Thanks! I've been making slow, but steady progress. BTW, I love your hair, Patience!

Back