My discovery

Question: It's about time for my relaxer - do i do a protein treatment right after? And if so, what kind - light or hard? Please share what products work. Thanks.

Question: It's about time for my relaxer - do i do a protein treatment right after? And if so, what kind - light or hard? Please share what products work. Thanks.

You use lye or no lye?

ETA: I use lye and I do a protein midstep (after rinsing the relaxer and before neutralizing) with Ultra Sheen Duo Tex.

I got my first protein treatment last week at the shop because my hair was breaking off and that was not normal. I plan to do the aphogee protein treatment this week. My questions is should I do the Aphogee protein two times a month and the 2 min reconstruction every week when I wash my hair? I am soooo excited about Aphogee now.

I've never done the Aphogee 2 step. But I have heard it is hardcore protein, so too much may be a bad thing of that type of treatment. I do use the 2 min treatment at least 2x a month 15 mins with heat, then use my moisture DC. Breakage stops dead in its tracks (I swear!) But maybe others that have used the 2 step can tell how often they have used it. FYI: I've read that it only takes a few (about 3 protein treatments I think) to correct a moisture overload, but takes longer to correct a protein overload. Maybe one week use no protein or a lighter protein (ORS Replenish Pak does well for me), and see how your hair responds.

What are you getting off the internet hun?
I see that you're in ky,and you could pick all of these up,except for the Hairveda,from Whole Foods:yep:.

Yeah, the Hairveda is the only thing I order offline but I don't even want to have to order that, so I'm looking for something to replace it with, maybe the Pantene R&N Mask? And I also said cost effectiveness was a problem with the Aubrey Organics, but I guess I will just have to live with it because I LOVE that stuff! :yep: Does Whole Foods carry the NOW foods brands of essential oils? That's one thing I never look for when I go out there. :ohwell:

it would be better if you used the treatment before you relax. you shouldnt use protein treatments right after you relax your hair will look like the relaxer didnt take. it says on the bottle not to use it the same day.

do you ladies put a plastic cap on your head when using the protien before sitting under the dryer or not? On the aphogee bottle it says to not cover your hair.

2-3x/week on a damaged hair (bleached, melting off) until you don't need it anymore, ie, until your hair is no longer damaged. Most reconstructors are like that. It really isn't as hardcore as you think.

Edit: Also, if you are using a product consistently, and you notice your hair changes in texture and elasticity, why wouldn't realize that discontinuing use of said product is a viable option. Not trying to be glib, but the phrase "protein overload" bothers me to no end b/c it is preventable and it takes a lot of effort to achieve. No one should be passive enough with their own hair to let protein (or even moisture) overload occur, esp. with the plethora of knowledge out there. Yeah I know it happens, but IMO it shouldn't if you learn how to spot trouble early and just pay attention. I dunno, call me an idealist :rolleyes:

Well I guess the fear of (ok going to use the words you dislike:grin:) protein overload is like fear of heat around here. No need for fear just do it correctly. Actually now that I think about it, when people say they were experiencing too much protein (I think you or Gym said it) perhaps they were using the wrong conditioner to follow up. I guess Joico knows what they are talking about when they tell you to use the Intense Hydrator afterwards, they know this will balance you out. The problem comes when we use our own conditioners that are not meant to be used after reconstructors. Well i guess I'd better stop using the MR Balm and get the Intense Hydrator, huh?:wallbash:

Ok I know I'm slow but that was a light bulb moment for me ^^^(even though it was already stated a few posts back)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I asked this question here or not but I really want to know this. What do you ladies think about watering down the hardcore aphogee treatment by mixing in some moisturizing DC with it before application? Afterall, we can mix other protein and moisturizing deep conditioners together. I'm thinking it probably wouldn't dry quite as hard as it would without the Moisturizing DC but does that really matter:look:? IDK, just throwing thoughts out there....I am still tempted to try it though.

Yes. To stregthen your bonds, and so the protein can penetrate deeper since cuticles are raised, after rinsing relaxer use a protein conditioner. Should be something moderate, i.e. Aphogee 2 Min. The hardcore like the Aphogee 2 step will harden your hair and can be counteractive. Only leave the protein conditioner of your choice on for 5-7mins max, no heat, plastic cap. 10mins is too long! This is because the conditioner does not bring down the ph of your hair (it will bring it down some with addition to just rinsing it out the relaxer with water) but the neutralizing is the actual stablizer. So anything longer then 5-7 mins, your hair is still getting processed. Look for articles by Sistaslick. I've explained her theroy in a nutshell.

do you ladies put a plastic cap on your head when using the protien before sitting under the dryer or not? On the aphogee bottle it says to not cover your hair.

This is referring to the Aphogee 2 step only and I think Nexxus Emergencee as well but not the Aphogee 2 minute keratin reconstructor.

it would be better if you used the treatment before you relax. you shouldnt use protein treatments right after you relax your hair will look like the relaxer didnt take. it says on the bottle not to use it the same day.

This may be true for a hardcore protein but it isn't true for protein overall. :nono: You can safely use a light protein to restore protein lost in the hair shaft after using a lye relaxer.

ok - do i use a hard protein - say a week before? Aphogee 2 step?

I use Silk Elements in the tub - I believe it's lye. How long do you keep on the hair?

about 5 minutes as directed on the bottle. Duo Tex is not a hard protein like Aphogee 2 step but can be used the same way (until it hardens, then rinsed out).

This may be true for a hardcore protein but it isn't true for protein overall. :nono: You can safely use a light protein to restore protein lost in the hair shaft after using a lye relaxer.

I think I read this somewhere as well ... using a light protein - right after rinsing but before neautralizing.

Thats what I meant. I'm sorry I should have been more clear. Yeah the hard core protein is a no no right after the relaxer. I use the mid protein step too, when I relax, with a light/med protein of course.

On which Aphogee? The only one I ever used is the 2 min one. Never noticed. But I always use a plastic cap when I use heat. Especially since I have a soft bonnet dryer. I'd have conditioner all up in it!

daephae: is this it?

:yep::yep:yup, that's it. I've used this since last February/March and its good. Now I'm itching to try the Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor.

AND

the bottle is like 32 oz for $6-$7...I still have 3/4 of a bottle! A little goes a long way. It's a great investment.

:yep::yep:yup, that's it. I've used this since last February/March and its good. Now I'm itching to try the Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor.

AND

the bottle is like 32 oz for $6-$7...I still have 3/4 of a bottle! A little goes a long way. It's a great investment.

So I'm assuming the Aphogee 2 min keratin reconstructor is considered "light" like the untra sheen?

Yeah, the Hairveda is the only thing I order offline but I don't even want to have to order that, so I'm looking for something to replace it with, maybe the Pantene R&N Mask? And I also said cost effectiveness was a problem with the Aubrey Organics, but I guess I will just have to live with it because I LOVE that stuff! :yep: Does Whole Foods carry the NOW foods brands of essential oils? That's one thing I never look for when I go out there. :ohwell:

I'm pretty sure i've seen it there,if not then its at VitaminShoppe(right across the street).But its one or the two:yep:

Generally speaking here are your options:
1) Hardcore protein 7-14 days prior to relaxer touch-up
2) Hardcore protein 7-14 days post relaxer touch-up

If you do it before the relaxer, then a week after use a lighter protein reconstructor to follow up, and vice versa. It's up to you and how strong (or not) your hair is going into relaxer day.

Mid-process protein steps are obligatory IMO.

Aphogee 2 min is really light and can be used weekly in most cases.

Of course at the end of the day, it depends on how much protein your own hair needs. Only your hair can make that determination.

OK ITS OFFICIAL! YOU AND ARTEMIS ARE THE EXPERTS I NEED TO FOLLOW FOR ALL MY HAIRCARE NEEDS.
:saythat::strong:

I SOOO second that one! You both always post things that are right on point in every thread I read! I had already made them my unofficial mentors but now I'll make it official! :notworthy

I've read it categorized as a mild/moderate protein. ORS Replenish Pak is considered light. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ORS Replenishing is actually considered a moisturizing conditioner not a protein conditioner even though it contains a small amount of protein.

I totally agree! Gymfreak and Artemis are ON POINT.

Having experienced precisely what you experienced Patricia, I have also come to realise that I was over-moisturising my hair. I have now done this twice and have suffered with thinning ends each time.
Now that I know what it was, I'm never going back. My hair LOVES protein :freakout: and I'm not following any more bandwagons, because that's what threw me off my goals. 'Err on the side of moisture'? :ignore:

Thanks to Gymfreak and Artemis, I am learning about the moisture-protein balance MY hair needs and 2009 will be better yet!:driver:

Back