My discovery

What about Cream of Nature in the green bottle?
The original one?
Please say it has some kinda protein...*closes eyes and crosses fingers*

:lachen:

:nono: nope. that's what I use now...it's ultra moisturizing. I'm certain there's not a stitch of
protein in it.

ETA: I think it may have milk protein in it but its not a protein shampoo per se.

Last edited:
OT: what products from the kpak line do you use and love? Do you use the moisture line as well? I have been using kenra shampoo and condish as well as Nexxus Therapee and Humectress and LOVE them, but the more I hear about Joico the more I want to give it a try! I went to Trade Secret a few days ago to pick some up and they had the AUDACITY to be closed at 3pm! I thought maybe that was my sign to stick with Kenra, but it seems Joico is calling my name!

Hi there,

I use to use the Moisture Recovery line eclusively, the poo, con, and balm(heavy con). I love the shampoo from this line, the regular con has nice slip but is not very moisturizing for my hair, now the BALM!!! This stuff is amazing, not much slip but soooo much moisture. I'm waiting on my MR styling creme to come in the mail(salons don't have it yet).

From the kpak line I have the chelator, poo, con, reconstructor, liquid reconstructor, and intense hydrator.

The chelator is good for a chelating shampoo, I have used regular poos that stripped my hair more than this one.

The poo is even better than the MR poo, I kinda feel like this poo should've been in the MR line cuz it leaves my two textured hair soft, moisturized and VERY little tangles. This is important especially if you are going to apply the recon after, having to apply that stuff to tangled hair could lead to more breakage.

The regular con I didn't care for and won't repurchase.

The reconstructor is AWESOME! I don't feel like I'm over doing it it just feels like the right amount of reconstructing for my hair. It makes curls pop out that I didn't know I had!

The liquid reconstructor, I haven't figured out exactly when to use this. I was told I could use it daily but if I'm doing the regular reconstructor 1-2xs/wk then I don't see the need for it. I have only used it once so I really can't say if it works but I am going to return it since I'm using the regular one quite often.

The intense hydrator-nothing special to me, infact it left me feeling like I should use my MR balm. The only reason I would repurchase this is because I was told by Joico that to get the best results from the reconstructor then I should use the poo, recon, and hydrator.

I think I will just bounce between the two lines to stay balanced because I get sooo much moisture from the MR line but really good strength from the kpak line. I'm glad that I finally found one company to stick with but now it's a matter of finding which products that they offer will work for me, how often to use them, etc. HTH

Yep ... protein is my friend too. I have heard a lot of naturals say that natural hair really doesn't need protein, but that is sooooo not the case for my hair. My hair always thanks me when I give it a hearty dose of protein, followed by a deep moisturizing conditioner. My protein/moisture treatments seriously define my curls and give them more structure ... it makes them "boingy". I like all kinds of protein too -- both mid grade and hardcore.

Yep ... protein in my friend. :yep:

Right.... I do a protein pre-poo and moisture post poo.....

Oh my goodness you are my hair idol! To get a compliment from you means so much to me. :clap:
All the heartache, sleepless nights was worth it. Are you still on BHM?

AWE!!!! :kiss:

Once I camped out here at LHCF... I never went back to BHM. I felt a HUGE:sneakyhug: amount of support here....:office:Working together to get great hair!:circle::circle:

Hey Daephae!

A protein shampoo is a easy way to tweak what you are doing already. In fact, a long time ago, the Lanza Protein Plus shampoo was a board staple. They changed the formula but now, their healing strength line has a similar shampoo to the orginal protein plus. Other ones you can look into that would be similar to the Garnier would be the Redken Extreme or the Biolage fortifying. All of those are fortifying poos which us a little protein but also use fortifying agents like ceramides, fruit acids and panthenol. Other shampoos you can look more into joico kpak shampoo (which is great during the relaxer process btw), paul mitchell super strong, and naked naturals. There are many more but these are just some starter points.

I think I'm gonna go with the Coloresse at Sally's. Thanks.

I've started using protein weekly and yes my hair has thanked me IMMENSELY.
I use a conditioner with Keratin Amino Acids as a rinse before I do a moisturizing deep conditioner. I also use a protein leave in twice a day. Protein=awesome when properly balanced with moisture!

I'm not sure I asked this question here or not but I really want to know this. What do you ladies think about watering down the hardcore aphogee treatment by mixing in some moisturizing DC with it before application? Afterall, we can mix other protein and moisturizing deep conditioners together. I'm thinking it probably wouldn't dry quite as hard as it would without the Moisturizing DC but does that really matter:look:? IDK, just throwing thoughts out there....I am still tempted to try it though.

No, I think it's your best bet to use another product (perhaps Nexxus Emergencee) in lieu of the Aphogee if you find it too drying for your liking. Odds are that it's too much protein than you need at the moment and you need something else.

Aphogee 2-step works best by following the directions exactly. Diluting it with moisturizer would defeat the purpose of its use IMO/IME.

Edit: The purpose of the 2-step of for the protein to harden the hair to fill in the cracks and holes in the hair shaft. Thats how it strengthens the hair (vegetable protein comes from plants--think about how durable plant cells are!!). So messing with that reduces its effectiveness.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. I used the Kpak poo and hydrator for the first time with the reconstructor last night. Previously I was using the reconstructor with the MR poo and balm. I do have to say I got better results as far as less breakage when I used the whole K pak line (I LOVE the Kpak poo it's better than the MR one!) but I really didn't care for the Intense Hydrator. My hair didn't feel as moisturized as it does when I use the MR balm afterward. I started to put the MR balm on after I rinsed out the hydrator but I didn't want to load my hair with products. I'm hoping when I get the MR leave in styling creme that will help combat some of the dryness. I would substitute the hydrator for the balm if I didn't have such great results as far as less breakage so I'm just going to leave it alone for now and find a good leave in.

I think it's a must to moisturize after any protein treatment even if you don't use the hydrator, moisturizing conditioner is a step you do not want to leave out. This is how you keep things balanced.

Ehhhh. Yes and no.

If it is an actual protein treatment, and not a creme reconstructor, then use of follow up moisture is mandatory (an example is the Aphogee 2-step or Dudley's DRC 28). If the product is a protein conditioner or a creme reconstructor, then YMMV, in which case if your hair''s need of more or less protein at that particular moment will determine what to do next.

If you are in dire need of protein b/c you hair is overmoisturized, moisturizing after a reconstructor will negate your efforts.

The term "protein treatment" is a blanket term here on the board, so we must clarify what we mean when asking general questions regarding use.

Hi there,

I use to use the Moisture Recovery line eclusively, the poo, con, and balm(heavy con). I love the shampoo from this line, the regular con has nice slip but is not very moisturizing for my hair, now the BALM!!! This stuff is amazing, not much slip but soooo much moisture. I'm waiting on my MR styling creme to come in the mail(salons don't have it yet).

From the kpak line I have the chelator, poo, con, reconstructor, liquid reconstructor, and intense hydrator.

The chelator is good for a chelating shampoo, I have used regular poos that stripped my hair more than this one.

The poo is even better than the MR poo, I kinda feel like this poo should've been in the MR line cuz it leaves my two textured hair soft, moisturized and VERY little tangles. This is important especially if you are going to apply the recon after, having to apply that stuff to tangled hair could lead to more breakage.

The regular con I didn't care for and won't repurchase.

The reconstructor is AWESOME! I don't feel like I'm over doing it it just feels like the right amount of reconstructing for my hair. It makes curls pop out that I didn't know I had!

The liquid reconstructor, I haven't figured out exactly when to use this. I was told I could use it daily but if I'm doing the regular reconstructor 1-2xs/wk then I don't see the need for it. I have only used it once so I really can't say if it works but I am going to return it since I'm using the regular one quite often.

The intense hydrator-nothing special to me, infact it left me feeling like I should use my MR balm. The only reason I would repurchase this is because I was told by Joico that to get the best results from the reconstructor then I should use the poo, recon, and hydrator.

I think I will just bounce between the two lines to stay balanced because I get sooo much moisture from the MR line but really good strength from the kpak line. I'm glad that I finally found one company to stick with but now it's a matter of finding which products that they offer will work for me, how often to use them, etc. HTH

I use the liquid reconstructor at every wash in lieu of the regular reconstructor. It was designed for fine strands, and I love it dearly :yep: If you are using the DPR regularly, then you don't need the liquid.

To the OP thanks so much for starting this thread. Recently, I have been experiencing a little breakage which I attributed to a corrective relaxer I had done this past December. The result/condition of my hair is horrible b/c of it. I am going to start using protein at every wash because my strands definitely need it.

What about Cream of Nature in the green bottle?
The original one?
Please say it has some kinda protein...*closes eyes and crosses fingers*

I just ordered this online because I can not find it in stores. They have the new fangled formula that I hear is not as good. But now I hear it has no protein, well I still need it ffor moisture, but it would be nice to find one that does it all.:look:

I've started using protein weekly and yes my hair has thanked me IMMENSELY.
I use a conditioner with Keratin Amino Acids as a rinse before I do a moisturizing deep conditioner. I also use a protein leave in twice a day. Protein=awesome when properly balanced with moisture!
Good idea. :goodone:
Your hair is so healthy and long. You definetely know what your hair likes

To the OP thanks so much for starting this thread. Recently, I have been experiencing a little breakage which I attributed to a corrective relaxer I had done this past December. The result/condition of my hair is horrible b/c of it. I am going to start using protein at every wash because my strands definitely need it.
Keep us posted on how your hair feels after your next wash. Hope this thread helps you:grin:

I set my relaxer date for next Friday and I am OH so excited! I can't believe it's gonna be 15 weeks already! I'm too scared to do the 2 step Aphogee protein treatment, so I think I am just gonna do the Duo Tex this Friday/Saturday. I can't wait to see how the protein improves my hair in the long run! :grin:

I set my relaxer date for next Friday and I am OH so excited! I can't believe it's gonna be 15 weeks already! I'm too scared to do the 2 step Aphogee protein treatment, so I think I am just gonna do the Duo Tex this Friday/Saturday. I can't wait to see how the protein improves my hair in the long run! :grin:
Now you got me anxious to know how the Duo Tex works out for you. If you remember let me know

Last edited:
Dude, I'm going to try the same thing for myself. I can't take it anymore! My hair is breaking off at different points, and I know I need protein too. So...should I eat protein or put it in my hair? Or both? I'll try it.

This is DEFIANTLY a keeper! My hair is soft but strong and amazing thicker. I am going to sally's this weekend to look for a creamy reconstructor to use at each wash.

ETA: has anyone tried this one before:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Keratin-Reconstructor/APHOGE8,default,pd.html

If so, how did it work for you?

tia,
tishee

Tishee, I have both this old formula and the new formula for this exact treatment and they both work fantastic on my hair.
Dude, I'm going to try the same thing for myself. I can't take it anymore! My hair is breaking off at different points, and I know I need protein too. So...should I eat protein or put it in my hair? Or both? I'll try it.[/quote

You should try consuming proteins internally and put them on your hair in the form of reconstructors, protein poos, etc, but keep it all balanced, internally and externally.

Internally, you don't want to overdo it because it will wreak havoc on your kidneys and externally, you don't want to overdo it because it will do the reverse of what it's intended to do and that is break more over time. Try incorporating a little at a time to see how well your hair handles it, okay?

Last edited:
Great thread. my hair definitely needs protein. I have a question - tonight i used Joico reconstuctor for 15 minutes with heat and my hair felt great - it was soft and moist. then i used the intense hydrator and my hair felt kinda hard. do you always need to use a moisturiser after a moderate protein treatment like Joico. i feel as if my hair would have been better without the moisture step. TIA

I meant to address this earlier, but forgot. Anyhoo, K-pak is meant for cumulative use, versus one hard protein punch. I have read on more than one occassion that after 5 min, k-pak stops working so you want to use it in 5 min increments. I think this is a good way to determine how much protein you need without going overboard(another 'use it till you don't need it' product). In addition, it makes it a good weekly treatment without spending a lot of time on your hair (which is always a good thing ;))

I'm not a expert but from my experience I use garnier frutis long and strong shampoo because it has a bit of protein and it makes my hair feel stong and not weak. Maybe you can switch your shampoo and see how your hair feels. I heard aphogee shampoo contain protein too! Main and tail conditioner suppose to have protein in it. I think its a light one though. Correct me if I 'm wrong. If your hairs is coming out to the touch like mine was I would do a reconstructor of some type. I do mine weekly

Not protein, polymers :yep: Sealing of the cuticle to protect from damage. Good product, made esp. for long hairs who need that extra something on their ends to protect from cuticle weathering. :up:

I found some Duo Tex Protein Conditioner in one of our BSS stores here in the Bahamas, woo hoo:yay:!!! I am so excited about this. NOw when I remove these braids, it's on:yep:, or.... maybe I can use while I'm still in my braids, hmmmm, I'll see.

ETA: Does anyone know if Duo Tex makes the hair hard like Aphogee 2 step hardcore protein treatment and also is it required to wear a plastic cap with it or no? I am asking because on the bottle it indicates that you should not massage or tangle hair while it's in for 10 minutes an dit doesn't mention a plastic cap at all. It also seems to be a moderate to high strength protein, am I correct?

The one good thing I noticed for sure is it's citric acid content which is great as an after-relaxer 5 minuute pH adjustment treatment.

Last edited:
Hi Aggie!

I am currently using it and I love it! It is watery but does not get hard like Aphogee. I put it in a spray bottle, combed it through and went about my business for about 45 minutes (last 15 minutes, I put on a cap and sat under a bonnet- couldn't help myself) :) Followed up with a DC (u know the routine) and my hair felt substantially stronger.

You can do it either way (plastic cap, etc) as long as it is in your hair for the minimum amount of time. I would not put it in the same category as Aphogee or Emergencee'

HTH

Back