My 1 year stretch is over! (pics)

Stella B.

December '09 is a special month for me at LHCF. It marks my anniversary here at the board, and I'm celebrating the end of my 1 year stretch!
Over the past 12 months of no relaxing, I managed to grow 5 and 1/2 inches of strong, healthy new roots. So here's my picture story of my hair progress this year:

This pic was taken right after my last perm in January '09.
nc1d2o.jpg

My roots were straight, and my hair length was at beginning SL. I didn't really have a length goal, I just wanted healthier hair and fuller ends.
In March I started contemplating not relaxing for the rest of the year and doing a stretch. In April, I decided no more relaxers.

So, I started doing lots of protective styles, updos, and scarfin' it to lay down my edges, and control the new growth.
IMG%5D
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

IMG%5D
IMG%5D
I loved my new natural texture and I tried braid-outs and twist-outs for the first time.
23kanvk.jpg
IMG%5D

I managed to go without direct heat this year, except for the one time I tried a BKT (loved it)! For that one time, I gave myself a heat pass and pressed on the lowest temp.
IMG%5D
BKT'D
I won't be pressing again until well into next year.

Somewhere around July, I noticed I was gaining length, even with unstretched roots.
IMG%5D
July 2009
This was the hardest part of the stretch, I had to keep the line of demarcation moisturized and protected to keep it from shedding and breaking off too badly.

This is what helped me during this long stretch:
SLS free shampoos
daily leave-ins/moisturizers
lots of protective styles
minimal flat ironing
adding nutritive oils like coconut and castor

A few more comparison pics for 2009
January December
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

IMG%5D
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

January December Looks like I'm APL???!!!!
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

January December

So, 12 months later, I'm at the end of my stretch. Yipeee!!!!! Today I took a pic of my hair. It's not a great style pic, but it embodies what this stretch meant to me, and what it did for my hair. This is what my hair looked like this morning-in its raw glory with roots
uncombed,
unstretched
unpressed
uncurled
IMG%5D
IMG%5D

...and I feel beautiful. Thanks y'all!!

There is no way I could have survived this stretch without you ladies here at LHCF. You all are truly awesome! In a few weeks I will be getting my ends trimmed back, (need it badly) and moving on to another year of healthy hair care.

Yeah, that's great progress. Stretch you say? So your planning on relaxing again?

Yea, stretch. I know I will be stretching again in the future, but it won't be for a year, unless my hair needs it. Six months or less, max next time. I'm still undecided about where to go from here, but I'm leaning towards texlaing I love my new texture too much to go back to bone straight hair ever again!:yep:

Hey Stella B!

Thanks For the Update. And Thanks for Sharing all of your helpful tips along the way!:yep:

Wonderful Progress.

You Did Good.:grin:

Back